wanted: hub puller

Classifieds section.

Moderator: TJDave

CopenhagenCowboy

wanted: hub puller

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:24 am

Replacing my inner and outer seals as well as bearings In my rear axle. Anyone happen to have a hub puller I can borrow? Amc 20
"a road is merely a suggestion" "Your ricers not so fast with a Jeep on it" "When was the last time you got an adrenaline rush at 3mph?" "Jeeps dont leak, they just mark their territory"

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:53 am

Hub Puller? :shock:

CopenhagenCowboy

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:10 pm

To separate the 2 piece axles so I can put the new outer seals on
"a road is merely a suggestion" "Your ricers not so fast with a Jeep on it" "When was the last time you got an adrenaline rush at 3mph?" "Jeeps dont leak, they just mark their territory"

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:22 pm

I have a slide hammer... not sure it is the right tool for the job.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:49 pm

OldGreen wrote:Hub Puller? :shock:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking!

CopenhagenCowboy

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:57 pm

That's what they called it lol

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Who's "they"?

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:11 pm

OldGreen wrote:Who's "they"?

Trays a rhetorical question if I ever smelled one. "They" don't know their tail shaft from a voltage regulator and apparently "they" are the only ones he talks to. :lol:

There is a adapter of sorts that goes on a slide hammer to remove axle shafts from the housing. I don't have one but I see no reason the shafts won't come out without it.

If it was me I'd just order up 1 piece shafts with new bearings & seals from randys ring & pinion and stuff them in place of the failure prone 2 piece stockers.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:21 pm

White trash wrote:
OldGreen wrote:Who's "they"?

Trays a rhetorical question if I ever smelled one. "They" don't know their tail shaft from a voltage regulator and apparently "they" are the only ones he talks to. :lol:

There is a adapter of sorts that goes on a slide hammer to remove axle shafts from the housing. I don't have one but I see no reason the shafts won't come out without it.

If it was me I'd just order up 1 piece shafts with new bearings & seals from randys ring & pinion and stuff them in place of the failure prone 2 piece stockers.

Damnit... I'm so sick of agreeing with Trashy.
Oh, and my slide hammer has that attachment on it. I do not know why I have it or where I got it, but you can come and get it if you want. And that Corporate 20 (is that what they call it) is not the worst axle in the world with one piece shafts. But with the 2 piece ones, well...
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

CopenhagenCowboy

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:18 am

Incorrect, the axle pulled right out of the housing with little force. Ivneex to remove the "thingy" with the wheel studs in it from the axle shaft. I need a special puller to pull it off the splined end of the axle so I can replace the outer seal. It was a thread on jeepforum and I believe it was jeephammer who called it a hub puller and if your familiar with that forum he's pretty knowledgeable. Its a hundred bucks and id rather not buy one. I could possibly rent one from autozone somewhere but figured it would be easier if someone had one. Lol otherwise I hit the round thing with the wheel studs with a big hammer to break it from the splines on the axle shaft. Id link the thread but don't know how to on my phone.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:57 am

No special tool is required to separate the flanges from the shaft that I'm aware of. Loosen the nut, spray liberally with penetrating lube and put it in a press. I just happen to have a press...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:05 am

Yeah. . .thats the ticket. Let it soak and press it off. The aforementioned "hub puller" device would most likely eventually work with a fair amount of cussing.

I ran that axle for years and years with no problems but never with anything bigger than 33" tires. In 20+ years I never lost an outer axle seal.

I wonder if your housing is bent. . .

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:25 am

Also check to make sure your axle vent isn't plugged.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

CopenhagenCowboy

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:26 am

I was wondering that too. I heard that alot of the time its not the seal failing but a bent axle. It doesn't appear to be but I have an untrained eye.

CopenhagenCowboy

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:40 am

Any pointers or tips anyone can shoot my way to make this smoother?

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:26 am

CopenhagenCowboy wrote:Any pointers or tips anyone can shoot my way to make this smoother?

Yup, read the posts above yours... :lol:

CopenhagenCowboy

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks wt lol but I meant the whole thing. Replacing inner and outer seals and the bearings. I m having trouble getting the inner seals out. I heard getting the new ones in will be a pain too.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 pm

The easiest way is to replace them with one piece shafts.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:26 pm

OldGreen wrote:The easiest way is to replace them with one piece shafts.

Norfolk 'n way... What a great idea, rather than bandaiding junk actually fixing it? Crazy talk!!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 pm

I know right. . . :lol:

CopenhagenCowboy

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 am

Do I need to put sealant on my inner and outer seals?

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:06 pm

no rubber seals dont need silicon.........rubber= no silicon also paper gaskets=none either they need a gasket dressing not silicon (words from the permatex rep himself)

Return to “For Sale and Wanted”