Wanted: Help welding front cage kit

Classifieds section.

Moderator: TJDave

Josh47x

Wanted: Help welding front cage kit

Postby Josh47x » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Need to weld my front bars to the main hoop and floor mounts. At this point it would be the two top joints, both ends of a top front bar, and 2 base plates. Would anyone be interested in a little fab work? I will have it tack welded with my HF welder, but would like to have someone with a little more experience and a better welder tackle it.

Thanks,
Josh
"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

www.youtube.com/josh47x: 1968 Jeepster Commando, 350/TH350 D44/D60 35" Baja Claws, Spring Over

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: Wanted: Help welding front cage kit

Postby scumby » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:15 pm

i wish i could by my skill level just isn't there.
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:29 am

I can make it stick but it may not be pretty. Pretty sure it wouldn't be much better then you can do yourself.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Josh47x

Postby Josh47x » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:51 am

Decided to give it a go, and spent some time this weekend welding on the cage. Not the most beautiful welds, but got good penetration, and after some gussetting, I think it will be good and strong. Got about 90% done, but ran out of shielding gas. Will get a build thread going one of these days.

:thu: I'm a grinder !
"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

www.youtube.com/josh47x: 1968 Jeepster Commando, 350/TH350 D44/D60 35" Baja Claws, Spring Over

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:31 pm

:thu2: Only one way to get good at it, practice.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:10 pm

How many amps is your welder? If smaller than 140amp, have you tried using 0.35 flux core instead of solid core with gas?
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:33 am

Josh47x

Postby Josh47x » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 am

Shoot, just need some fiberfix! Great video! Seems like it would be a good thing to have on the trail.

The welder I am using is like this one below. 105 Amp on the max setting. Did the welds with .030 and gas. will pick up some 35 flux and see how that works out. Working on the back bumper next.

Thanks

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:25 am

You may find the flux core runs hotter, wicks-in, and penetrates better than solid core with a 120AMP machine. The cleanup of solid core is not bad if your material is clean and you're stuff is dialed in. I switched from flux to solid core for most stuff approaching 1/8" and thicker and my welds turned out so much better in penetration and appearance... granted I don't weld frequently so there is a learning curve with each project.... tube being the hardest for me to due well. If you switch to flux core, remember to set your polarity correctly before you start :oops:
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Return to “For Sale and Wanted”