Wanted-Toyota front drive shaft

Classifieds section.

Moderator: TJDave

BullRider

Wanted-Toyota front drive shaft

Postby BullRider » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:37 pm

I need a front driveshaft to fit 79-83 Toyota. Mainly I need the CV and yokes. If the tube is dented or bent its ok. I can fab the parts together with square tub to make a new one. If anyone gots some knowledge on shafts/CV's from other rigs that will work, I'm all ears. So far I've had a hard time finding a used Toyota Shaft.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:58 pm

Do yourself a favor and step up to 2nd gen (84+) and later for the front shaft. The first gen stuff has that smaller rectangular pattern and 8mm bolts. the later stuff has a square pattern with 10mm bolts and the way the yokes are built they allow for far more articulation than a first gen ever could.

I have spare flanges that your welcome to have if you want to drill them and upgrade, I think I have the 2nd gen driveline stuff as well but I'd have to look.

BullRider

Postby BullRider » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:18 pm

Sweet :super . I was wondering about the 84-85 shafts. The junkyards told me they wouldn't fit, but I figured it was bull. I didn't realize the later ones were stonger and could articulate farther. My stock shaft jammed the slip yoke last year grenading the CV. I had a extra I picked up from a swap meet from a 87, but it wouldn't flex far enough(probably because the 87 is IFS). I cut off the CV, ground the u-joint ends out and Just used a single u-joint at each end. It's still working, but gives a bad vibration when going above 15mph or powering up a hill. I'll use it as a spare once I get a new one. Let me know what you've got lying around, and I'll pick it up from ya. Besides, I can get a better look at your square shaft :D . I'm pretty sure I saw one on your rig during memorial day.

OH Ya, Toyota's Rock!!!

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:35 pm

3 out of the 4 of us on memorial were running square shafts. The black exo'd truck wasn't beings he bought it that way, its basically an advertisement for trailgear so it has a long slip in the front.

If you want to use the ifs cv (you are totally correct about them having little angle available stock vs solid axle) then read THIS link and clearance that ifs cv accordingly. 8)

If you are bored we're home today and Ive been out working on the truck most of the day. Feel free to swing on over and bs.

BullRider

Postby BullRider » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:59 pm

I'd come by, but my kids have a friend over playing. Sometime soon. I get off from work around 1-2p, so afternoons are usually easy. Thanks for the link on CV clearance. Unfortunatly when we moved last summer I think I chucked the 87' CV. I gotta check my storage unit to make sure, but I thought it wouldn't be of use and we moved to a Apt(NO GARAGE/extra space :ouin). Serves me right, You always find a use for it once you ditch it :banghead .

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:06 pm

If you are thinking of going square anyway I wouldn't worry about a cv anyway. Single joints have far more angle available compared to a cv... Besides, whats the point of a vibe killing cv on a square driveline... :lol:

None of the ones we've built have enough vibration to worry about. I leave my hubs locked in at all times and you don't notice it till about 40 then it jsut has a bit of vibration nothing major. 8)

BullRider

Postby BullRider » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:52 pm

Good Point :idea: . I need to come by and take a peak at yours to see how you lined it up. Any special tricks to get it somewhat balanced? I've heard of putting a little sand in one side. I'm sure you lined up the sides of the square tube with the ears of the yokes. Probably have the bottom ears offset from the top ones. Any thing else? What tubing sizes worked for you?...... Going 40mph before vibration sounds great. Right know I have to keep getting out and unlocking the hubs when I hit gravel roads because I don't want to stress it too much. Also, it sucks not going fast in the dunes without worrying.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:01 pm

The common setup is 2" inner and 2 1/2" outer and that is ridiculous... All of them we've built are 1 1/2" inner and 2" outer. You have to grind a groove for the weld in the 2" to fit in on the 1 1/2" but thats not a biggy. Yes there are some tricks to doing it right and I'd be more than happy to show you. :)

BullRider

Postby BullRider » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:46 pm

I'll give you a PM. Possibly this next weekend unless I'm wheeling. Give me a update when you check for extra parts. That way I know what I need to get before I come over. Thanks for the :idea: 's. Can't wait to put the pedal down hard again without worrying about breaking a shaft or ripping the transfer case mounts up. The extra slip length will be sweet as well :thu2: .

Return to “For Sale and Wanted”