72 Scout REAR DANA 44

Classifieds section.

Moderator: TJDave

dangerranger

72 Scout REAR DANA 44

Postby dangerranger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 am

3.73 OPEN DIFF COMPLETE. BOTH PARK BRAKE CABLES ONE MAY BE DAMAGED. HAVE NOT SEEN UNIT. ANOTHER CO-WORKER TRYING TO GET IT OUT OF HIS YARD. NOT SURE ON PRICE OFFERS ARE GOOD THOUGH.
I'm just one good rollover away from a tube buggy!

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:42 am

Good candidate for a rear axle swap for the YJ guys I think.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:06 pm

Would this be good for a YJ swap?

LMAO. . . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This plus a waggy front with Ford bearing hubs would be sweet in a CJ/YJ/TJ/ etc.J with 35s.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:49 pm

If I can make it fit a TJ I'd be interested. I'm already geared @ 3.73 for now. If I can make it fit a TJ I'd be interested. If I could make it fit a TJ I'd be interested! Sorry Rob, couldn't resist! :D
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

dangerranger

Postby dangerranger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:56 pm

I don't know jeeps much at all but anything is possible. Not sure what the width is, you would have to do some lookin on some other forums.
I'm just one good rollover away from a tube buggy!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:41 pm

it is a 5.5x5 bolt pattern and the width is closer to 58". . .but standard offset for the correct wheels would make the track width the same as a TJ axle(ish).

For a TJ, you'd have to run wheel adapters on the front and weld on the correct spring/control arm mounts. . .or, convert to leaves in the rear. Probably not worth the hassle compared to an easier swap like a TJ D44 or an XJ D44

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:48 pm

oh....ok thanx. I'll just keep a lookin' and try to lay off the gas on the next hill climb :idea:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:02 am

Had some internet connection problems the other day...didn't realize the triple post

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:27 am

Actually TJDave, the best swap outside of a TJ D44 would definitely be a Ford 8.8 rear axle out of a Explorer/Moutaineer. Ford's made tons of these in the 90's and you can find ratios of 3.73 and 4.10 in them, disc brakes, and sometimes limited slips in them. Should be easy to find. It's just slightly narrower than TJ axle width but with offset wheels you should be fine and you can use your present wheels as it has the same 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I think there's a type of "bastard" U-joint to go between your present rear driveshaft and the pinion yoke on the 8.8. If not I know there's a adapter that changes the flange style pinion yoke of the 8.8 to match the yoke on your TJ's driveshaft.

The benefits over a TJ D44 include a stronger ring gear (8.8" vs 8.5") and I think bigger splined axle shafts. It does have a C-clip like your D35 but if you're breaking that C-clip you got some bigger problems. People have run up to 37's and lockers on these with no issues.

There's a super 8.8 kit as well that eliminates the C clip and makes the width of the 8.8 the exact same as the wrangler.

Also be careful of getting an 8.8 out of a Mustang or Ford Ranger as I think the spline count is smaller, except for the FX4 series Ranger which has the same type mentioned above.

Actually you may want to talk to Lurch on this too, he'd know more than I would about the Ford stuff.

Here's the best link I have for this swap. Has all the measurements for the axle brackets and parts you'll need and where to get them.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm

Return to “For Sale and Wanted”