Holiday Rambler slideout fix.

Post pics and info of your current projects.
TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Holiday Rambler slideout fix.

Postby TJDave » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Sort of wheeling related because it's the tow pig. After much internet snooping, I read about a common problem with Monaco built motorhomes. That includes Holiday Rambler, Beaver, and Safari built in the same factory up until the buyout in 2008-ish.
The problem is the bottom of the slide has a 90 degree metal trim piece that goes from the side to the TOP of the slide out floor. After time, the sealant loosens and water can be channeled to the inside top of the slide out floor causing floor rot and delamination of the floor.
After reading this, I checked mine. Sure enough, just some minor floor separation on one side of the bedroom slide. No floor rot, but some significant gouging from the rollers that ride on nothing but a piece of fiberglass or laminate sheeting over plywood.
I also read about a guy who has designed a fix specifically for these Monaco slides (Guardian Plates) and has his own company producing them. Talin RV out of Florida. I talked to Chris the owner on the phone, and he walked me through how to take all the measurements needed on my particular slide. Very nice man that knows a ton about Monaco motorhomes. A week later, my kit arrived. Complete with mirrored stainless steel plates pre-drilled, cut and bent for my motorhome, and long enough to extend under the rollers for them to roll on. The kit included stainless rivets, rivet tool, glue, and sealer. Talin RV has videos on their website explaining why it happens, and how to fix it.
I called our friend Paul the RV Doctor to see if was available to install these. (I knew he could make quick work of this in a fraction of the time it would have taken me).
So, here's the pics. Turned out awesome. Thank you Paul.
We're ready for Trail Jam.

Before with roller gouging and slight floor separation.

After: very pretty

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

tobyw

Re: Holiday Rambler slideout fix.

Postby tobyw » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:19 am

:thu:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:14 am

Bling!

Thanks for the business and feedback, Dave!
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Zapp84

Postby Zapp84 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 am

That's awesome!

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:38 pm

After having the outside of the bedroom slide taken care of, I needed to address the inside. I found wood chips around the bed pedestal. I reached underneath the bed and felt big gouges in the wood. :banghead
I took out all the crap I had stored under the bed. Way too much. Took out the false bottom, and what do we have here? Seems just a thin strip of plywood for the rollers to ride on. Not even wide enough to utilize both rollers on each roller assembly. ;(

The task is to replace those strips of plywood with something a little harder, and wider. Like OAK!
Getting the old strips of plywood out was not too bad with a nice assortment of multi tool blades to cut through all the staples and hidden screws.

Old gouged up plywood. WTF. Well I guess they did hold up for 12 years of roller abuse.
Maybe all the junk I was storing underneath the bed was the straw that broke the camel's back. :oops:

Oakey dokey

More better. Screwed, glued, and plated. If the plywood lasted over 12 years, this oak should last longer than me.

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Might as well throw in another led swap in the main slide out. The halogen spot lights under the cabinets would get very very hot. I am sure they sucked power too when boondocking. We rarely used them.
I ran across these little items while surfing amazon. Led lights in warm white color. Pack of 4. Problem solved.

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”