It happens to everyone, right?

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

It happens to everyone, right?

Postby Roman » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:58 am

Jeep death wobble strikes again...

The LJ has started the 40mph wobble dance. At first I thought it was gonna be an easy fix after finding i had a slow leak in the right rear. Apparently that tire was missing snow wheeling, it was LOW!

Everything aired up and still wobbling. Crawl under the front and have the wife wiggle the wheel, bad TRE at the pitman. Replacement acquired in the mail. Looking at the steering box I remember its the MB box and I thought there was something about it being a little "delicate". Figure the normal hammer method of popping the TRE probably wasn't advised. After a short drive to the Richland Harbor Freight, their TRE separator was put to work. I've never used one of these tools, and was a little leary of its abilities, but after positioning it and applying MASSIVE pressure to the bolt the tool SHOT across the driveway! I start looking for the parts when I realize its fully intact, and the TRE had popped out of the pitman arm. IT WORKED :thu:

After recentering the steering wheel, locking down all the bolts and greasing the front end i take it for a drive. While the wobble is much less than before, it's still lurking in the background. Maybe time for a tire balance and rotation. :huh:

tobyw

Re: It happens to everyone, right?

Postby tobyw » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:57 am

While you are in there replacing worn out parts, you should upgrade to the ZJ steering linkage... With oversized/heavier tires the stock stuff is much less tolerant, which is why a lot of people claim success in curing wobbles with steering stabilizers and/or a fresh tire balance. The reality is, tire balance is NOT the root cause but it most certainly can accentuate a downstream problem. Wobble stems from alignment and worn parts, period. If tire balance makes it go away, that's great but it's not the real problem... Where is that dead horse emoji? :lol2
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:41 pm

Stabilizers :woot:

Great idea! Wonder if I can still get them in chrome???

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:51 pm

Roman wrote:Stabilizers :woot:

Great idea! Wonder if I can still get them in chrome???

The chrome ones only come in doubles. :lol2

I like my Rusty's ZJ stylish steering linkage.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:12 pm

Tire beads?

What have peeps used?

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:40 pm

I found that air soft bbs come in different densities. I got the heavy ones from Walmart for cheap. I can’t remember how many ounces Of bbq I used for 35x12.50, but it worked out well for me. The guys at Discount Tire thought I was nuts but they inserted them with the new tires.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:34 pm

I run ceramic tire balancing beads in the bronco. I e been very happy with them.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Dryside

Postby Dryside » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:40 pm

I ran Dyna Beads for while in 37" Firestone MT2s. Worked great for a while but diminished over time. I was daily driving them though.
92 YJ
88 XJ (Son's project)
75 Power Wagon
09 JKU (Balloon Animal)

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:25 pm

Now that some out of town family stuff is out of the way, time to focus on vehicles again.

Over the last week all the parts showed up for the 42rle valve body/solenoid block work.

Not looking forward to the tranny fluid.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:45 pm

Eeekk! Do NOT quote tires right now... :scared:

Finally went in and got the tires balanced. Asked for a leak repair on one of them but its a crack around the sidewall (old wheeling tires don't live forever)

While there I thought, lets see how bad it'll be, since I'm not looking for 37" Iroks. I apparently forgot to tell them that.

Its the way things go these days. Time to dust off the HF tire machine again.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:17 am

One word...

Toe

That platform hates it. Remove some. 1/8" is enough 3/32" is better

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:00 am

Jimmy, I'll have to try that once I fit new rubber. Right now my old MTR's are trying to come apart so don't know how much fine tuning will be noticeable.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:49 am

*Crossing fingers*

Trans work seems to "fixed" the problems, but while I was under there I saw the cooler lines at the radiator were leaking. If you drive a Liberty or Commander they're on the shelf locally. If you have a 4sp TJ, no luck.
Found them in Nova Scotia with free 2 day shipping! Man are these things a bear to install. Some peeps say you have to drop the exhaust down pipe, but that sounds like broken bolt just waiting to happen. Others (including the manufacturer) say you have to pull the 2 lower O2 sensors, also sounds like trouble. Turns out I did have to UNPLUG both lower O2 sensor leads, but was able to snake the lines into place without destroying them. They're run between the block and the down pipe, that also has the 2 pre-cats. Its tight, but they slide in!

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:08 am

Now that they are routed (roughly) its time to get the lines plugged in and into the factory plastic "clamps".

These lines are REALLY close to perfect. Comparing them to originals i couldn't see any differences, but now that they are in place I see them in a whole new light! Minor differences in degree of bend, and exact location the bend starts really add up when there's 7-9 bends in a 36" piece of 3/8" tubing.
It took some time to get them to "kinda hang" where they go. Then make some adjustments to get them to plug in to the quick disconnects. Next is some messaging to clear contact points, like the front pre-cat. Don't think trans fluid would like hot exhaust converters too much.
Now that they look like they fit, it is time to get them in the clamps... Except they don't fit!
While both stock and replacement are 3/8" tubing, the stock lines have a flat spot crimped into the lines to match with the factory clamps. I'm not about to try recreating this on the new lines, so I found some rubber lined p-clamps and hardware to secure the lines to each other and the block.

Once I finish this, need to drain the trans pan (again) to install a Lube-Locker pan gasket. Then do the top off dance again.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:14 am

Add a drain plug and temp sensor to the pan while you have it down... And plumb in a trans cooler... [eats popcorn]
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:21 am

tobyw wrote:Add a drain plug and temp sensor to the pan while you have it down... And plumb in a trans cooler... [eats popcorn]

Last year I put on the "updated pan" w/ drain plug.
It's the newer pan that's supposed to be .5-1 qt larger capacity, can't remember exact spec.

No cooler/temp gauge yet, but most of my drivability issues have been in town/light load.
If gremlins stay at bay I'll progress on finally building this Jeep, there have just been too many issues till this point.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:02 pm

Mounting rubber now...

With a dash of Airsoft BB

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:28 am

Roughly 5 1/2 oz of "salmon egg" airsoft bb's in 35" Cooper Evolutions seems to work.

I also switched from factory 7" wheels and wheel spacers to 8" Outlaw II's and no spacers! Same overall width!

Passing 45mph I did have a hint of shimmy but I don't remember if I replaced a loose TRE I had found earlier.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:31 am

Ah poo, just reread my own post in here and looks like I already replaced that end. Time to look for more wore out parts.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:42 am

Last week I got the full on full lock to lock DEATH WOBBLE on the way to work! Had to turn around and grab the truck before making it to work with seconds to spare...

I've gone through the whole front end and nothing is LOOSE, the control arms have soft (old) bushings but not shot, the track bar looks solid, all steering links are tight.

I think the steering stabilizer was covering bigger problems and finally gave up the ghost.

Through my investigation I found the front tires were down to 17 lbs. Set all 4 tires at 22 lbs and its "safe" again. The DW monster is still lurking, so let's keep looking. The caster was WAY to aggressive at 10 to 11 degrees. Flattening that out to 5 degrees helped. Toe was about 3/16", straightening out to 1/16" helped a little too.

For now I think I'll slap on a new stabilizer and focus back on flat toe conversion!

What do people recommend for adjustable control arms?
Savvy?
Core?

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:45 pm

Savvy double adjustable with Currie Johnny Joints. Easily adjust pinion angle and caster without removing an end. Tight and silent until I sold it. The Rusty's and Rubicon Express arms they replaced were junk. Buy once, cry once.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Dryside

Postby Dryside » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:08 am

I had similar issues about a year ago. Ditto Toby's comment on balance etc. It affects DW but doesn't cause it.

I replaced control arms with RockJock uppers and lowers and JKS track bar. Iron Rock Offroad makes a press in upper joint for the axle side that is similar to a Johnny Joint. The other thing was checking the play between the bushing sleeve and stock bolts. There was enough play to upgrade to 9/16 grade8 bolts without drilling anything out. That all and a good alignment cured it. Tiny amounts of play in many places create enough tolerance for wobble.

Full disclosure... I still had a camber issue caused by my lack of talent and right foot and eventually ended up swapping the front axle for a ProRock 44.
92 YJ
88 XJ (Son's project)
75 Power Wagon
09 JKU (Balloon Animal)

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:36 am

Full disclosure is fine, this is a safe space..

:foufou

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:40 am

Yeah, I'm thinking its an accumulation of many not so tiny amounts of play leading to my overall problem.

Its corrected enough for this weekends adventuring duties. Successfully flat towed to Silverwood, will use the LJ to Scout out a camp site for after the park stay

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”