My 81 1st gen Toyota p/u

Post pics and info of your current projects.
sams88

My 81 1st gen Toyota p/u

Postby sams88 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 pm

The last effort that Jerry and I had was the 74 CJ5 that we re-worked a bit for my daughter's S.O. Well in the process of putting the break-in miles on the rebuilt engine, there magically appeared this old very faded yellow Toyota 4x4 in a field. So after going past it about ten times I stopped and took a look at it. The engine was in pieces, with the block still in the engine compartment, and the head, and some other stuff on the front seat, and the bed was full of more stuff, junk, garbage, etc. It has some non-toyota bucket seats in it that were rotted. But underneath it all, there was a fairly straight body. So after talking to the lady that was trying to sell it, the price was right so I told her I'd take it. So we headed down to transfer the title, and then Jerry and I hauled it off to the shop. So it sat there on the trailer for a few days while we looked it over pretty hard.

Of course once you buy something used, and then you have a chance to look things over after the purchase, you sorta happen to see a *few* things that you didn't happen to notice during the "purchase passion moment." :-)

The first obvious thing was it needed another engine, 22R. Well all of a sudden all those engine listings on Craig's List and in the papers, etc., sorta just dried up. Seems like it is always like that. You need something and you can't find them. But the moment you get the part, all of a sudden there are tons of the same things around and always at that super bargain price.

Well in this instance, another friend that is sharing the shop with Jerry and I just happened to have this girl friend that had found him an 82 Toyota 2 wheel drive. And that vehicle just needed a transmission put in it so the story went. Well after we looked at it, there was a bit more to it than just that. So we made a deal on the engine in it, that if it worked I'd pay him 300 bux. So he and Jerry got bored one night and popped that engine out and put it in my 81. Well, wonder of wonders, the engine ran like a top!!! So there went 300 bux. However the next immediate issue was the radiator was totally shot. And the one in the 82 wasn't the best of things either. So down to the radiator shop I went, and picked up a new radiator and thermostat.

So a little more history on that truck is that it sort of took a swim in the river for a while until the previous owner pulled it out of the river. So some kid pulled the engine apart and saw that it was beyond his abilities. Well they never changed fluids, etc., or dried out the inside, etc. And prior to that, someone had put the tranny in without the pilot bearing. So the input shaft to the tranny wobbled around a bit, with the outcome being that once we had the replacement engine in the truck and could drive it, we found out that the transmission was totally shot. So we replaced all the fluids, put in another early trans, and put a few miles on the truck. The seats sucked really bad, so out came the seat from the 82 and that went in the 81. The seat needs some serious work by an upholstry truck yet though. We took more bit and piece stuff off the 82, like dash parts, door innards like window crank rods etc. and at least had the truck to the point that it could be driven to see what else it would need.

Another friend sold me a set of 35" tires and wheels, so on those went. We then put in a rear 5.29 geared third member differential to see how the gearing worked out. So as any Toyota fan will have guessed, the stock carb would work fine one day, and spazz out the next. The problem being you didn't know when you'd have a good day, or a spazzed out day. So I went ahead and spent the bucks and bought a new Weber carb kit and stuffed that on. The engine really settled down after that. I spent a couple hundred on metal, gas, wire, lites, etc., and Jerry built a front winch bumper for it and a rear bumper with a class III hitch built in. Also a rock rail on each side made out of 2x3" steel. He also did one of his "bob" jobs on the bed and removed 20" from the bed. Lift wise, it had about a 3" lift if looked like, and was a really rough rider.

Well it needed Hi-Steer, and some good 3" leaf springs for some good flex and to clean up the ride. So we started looking around and ended up doing a trade/purchase deal with another friend and ended up getting a 2nd transfer case, a W56 transmission, an adapter for putting together a double transfer case Marlin Crawler along with the needed parts to do a hi-steer conversion on it. Of course that all necessitated some more parts. This stuff all costs bux........................ sigh............

So the other day I ordered a new dual stick crossmember cradle, a couple 5.29 ring and pinion sets, a rebuilt kit for the front axle with wheel bearings also, diff armor, axle housing gussets, u-bolt flip kits, shackles, front spring hanger, 3" leaf springs for front and rear, rotors, pads and an Aussie Locker for the rear. Now I'm just waiting on the Brown's to deliver the stuff. The truck is up on jack stands. And hopefully in a week it will be back together on on the road.

What I haven't picked up yet is a winch, nor hardened birfields for the front or a locker for the front. And also haven't bought the sticks of tubing for the roll cage. The cage is going to come before the front locker, birfields and winch.

But so far I'm pretty happy with the little truck. I like the first gens much better than the 3rd's. My 3rd that I had I got a bit too carried away with and built it past the daily driver stage, and couldn't use it for hauling the wife's yard waste to the dump. So this one will remain in the daily driver stage that can still haul stuff to the dump, and yet be a wheeler too.
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm
88 yota p/u

sams88

Postby sams88 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:59 pm

So in the Toyota world, this one is number 7 for me. I like the jeeps too, however I think that the dark side has pulled me over more and more. There are things I like about both the Toyota's and the jeeps. For the jeeps, it is really hard to beat the 4.0L engine. Toyota's are definitely on the underpowered side in that regard. But it is nice and easy to get some clearance with the yota's. It is nice being able to take one spare differential pod with you that works for either the front or back. Bust a ring and pinion in a jeep and you have a bit of a job to get back out of the sticks. But the reality is that with either, you end up putting some serious bux into them to get them ready for the trails/rocks/whatever.
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm

88 yota p/u

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:30 am

nice.... so i gotta a question.. do you do the gears yourself or do you have someone do them for you
Beer is good

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:47 am

5k words and not one picture... You're slipping Bruce.. :lol:

sams88

Postby sams88 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:45 pm

@Zach ogle -- yes, Jerry does the gears.

@WT -- Oh I've got a picture or two around, just haven't uploaded any of them yet. Will get to it one of these days. You'll see the truck first hand anyway. :-) But was late, and was just getting stuff down while it was all relatively fresh in the brain. It's still an on-going effort. :-) What a hard crowd to please!! Lol
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm

88 yota p/u

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:01 pm

how much could i get gears for
Beer is good

sams88

Postby sams88 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:27 pm

What size tires do you intend on running? That is the main determining factor for gearing. If you are looking at 33's, then 4.88, 35's would be 5.29. I rant 5.29's in my 91 with 37" IROCS. However, fifth gear was for the straight and level and not fighting a headwind. And I'm talking about a rig that will be run on the street and used to drive to the wheeling area. If you start getting into the trailer queen category, a lot of guys I know will stay with 4.10 for strength of the ring/pinion, and take care of the gearing for the trail and rocks via dual or triple sticking with a marlin crawler rig with low gears in the transfer cases.

Then you get into whether you are running new gears or some used ones from one of the others around. Don't forget the issue of an installation kit unless you know someone that has buckets of spare shims. If you get Trail Gear gear sets, it runs roughly $140 feach for front or rear. I'm just using TG as an example. You can order Yukon's from some of the places online too. Don't mention Trail Gear to Trashy, or he will ruin his Depends............. LOL Seriously though there are lots of places that sell gears of different brands. Myself, I haven't had any problems with the Trail Gear gears. Jerry runs them to in his yota.

If you are looking for someone to set the gears in your pods (differentials) then that isn't a problem as a couple guys will do that for you for nothing if you are going to be wheeling along with them now and then.
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm

88 yota p/u

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 am

yeah i found a couple deals for the ring and pinion, but i was talking about installation...... because i would like to run 35's after my set of 33's wear down... so i just would like to find someone that could help me out...
Beer is good

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 am

I know how to do it and am willing to help, but if you plan to do it yourself you really need some special tools. For the price of having someone else do it, you can spend the same money and purchase all the tools and be setup to do them for the rest of your life.

Here is a list of special tools you may need, and I am listing them with Harbor Freight item numbers so you can look them up online:

-calipers ITEM 47256-5VGA
-bearing/seal drivers ITEM 95853-2VGA
-shop press ITEM 4711-9VGA
-dial indicator ITEM 623-5VGA
-magnetic base for dial indicator ITEM 5645-5VGA
-torque wrench ITEM 239-1VGA
-bearing puller ITEM 4876-2VGA
-gear puller ITEM 30305-4VGA or ITEM 93980-3VGA
-slide hammer ITEM 5469-5VGA or ITEM 95987-2VGA

The guy at Diesel Performance Unlimited on Rd 68 does gears, and he has buckets of shims he may let you pick through and find what you need.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

sams88

Postby sams88 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:15 am

@zach ogle -- In my brain fart last night I forgot that you are running an IFS truck yet. So that changes the picture a bit as doing gear changes on the IFS is a different animal. If you are going to do an sas on the truck, you need to take care of that item before you do the gear swap. Try to do your stuff so that you are only doing something once and not having to go back later and spend more money and so something again. :roll: Helps the wallet out. :D
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm

88 yota p/u

Zach ogle

Postby Zach ogle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:34 am

yeah sam i was planning to do the gears after the sas hahaha that would be useless to do it before.

@ wrench thanks for the info, i will definitly need some help, i dont trust my gearing ability
Beer is good

sams88

Postby sams88 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Ah boy..... seems like there is always something. :-) Just got back in from the second run on the new gears, going through the getting them hot, then cooling down, etc. The truck went back together this past weekend. Jerry put in a ton of work on it, but he's definitely getting the Toyota's down pat! lol

Since we don't have a tube bender with the right dies, I took the yota down to a commercial shop and got a tailpipe on it, and tomorrow I have an alignment appointment to make sure that the steering is nice and straight. Gotta head out with the spouse, so I'll give a blow by blow on the job he did later. But it is SURE NICE to be back on the road again!!! <big>!!!!!!
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm

88 yota p/u

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”