A new era begins ...

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Don

A new era begins ...

Postby Don » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:24 pm

Well, here's the next project. It's an '84, 2.8 v6, 4spd ... ect. I can't complain about what I paid for it. It looks like doing a $1000 build just might work :D

First thing ... we need to name the little feller ...

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:34 pm

Uh, Rusty :wink: Or Little Blue :D
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:07 pm

with a carbed 2.8, "driveway art".

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:51 am

Ouch :lol:
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

colemancooler

Postby colemancooler » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:59 am

looks like fun :D
shindig wheelers #36

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:55 pm

Don, you get the roof cut off yet?

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:58 pm

That'll help the structural integrity :wink: Can I watch :twisted:
Dave

Quote:

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:32 pm

Structural integrity?

It's a frame on cab! Not to mention he's going to cage the whole thing . . .

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:37 pm

Do you have trouble with my brand of sarcasm sometimes :? Don't you mean YOU'RE going to cage the whole thing :?: You got the bender :D
Dave

Quote:

Don

Postby Don » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:46 pm

Nope. Tryed to fix the broken rear u joint and yoke, but got the wrong stuff at PAW. So, I have to hit six states tomorrow. This evening when it cools down some I'm going to start tearing the carpet, trim panels, ect. Tomorrow evening after I fix the d-shaft I'll run it down to the car wash to clean up the undercarriage to I can pull the sway bars, ect.

To get ready for Rimrock, I'm thinking I'll just cut the back section off, then cut the rest of the roof when I'm ready to cage it. I'll also need to get some tires, and weld up the rear end.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:00 pm

Cutting the rear section off with no cage will hurt the structrail integrity. I think it might be better to leave the rear roof. Although you might think about pulling the rear windows before you blow them out on the trail. Windows that big are structure but broken windows arn't :lol:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:16 pm

Those openings are pretty big. Maybe a bar to reinforce the hole :?:...And Bubba say bring the parts back so you'n him can figure out what you really need :mrgreen:
Dave

Quote:

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Hey Don, no outta town for you this week?

Hope not, you got a lot of prep work on that BII :twisted:

Don

Postby Don » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:54 pm

I'm going to try like hell to not have to go out of town this week :? I started tearing into it this evening, but it occured to me that I don't physically have the title in my hand. The PO is supposed to bring it to me tomorrow. But I got parts of the rear seat out, and some of the trim panels. Looks like I got the version that has the rear windows glued in instead of the nice easy clips. So, I'm leaning towards just busting the glass out.

Jess is out of town tomorrow and Tues, so I'm hoping to get some serious time in. Tomorrow will be fixing the driveline and hopefully more interior removal. I discovered this afternoon that the radiator has a pin hole in it, so while I'm at PAW tomorrow I'll try and get one of those. I also think I have a vacuum leak somewhere that needs to get tracked down.

On a positive note, it does have an AC compressor. Jose, you'll have to give me some tips on OBA.

So here's the list for Rimrock:

- Fix driveline
- Fix radiator
- Remove all unnessacary interior parts
- Remove rear glass
- Tires/ maybe wheels (31's)
- Cut fenders to fit
- Weld rear end
- Remove sway bars

The rest of the plan:

- Chop top
- Cage
- Bumpers
- longer Shocks/ hoops
- extend existing radius arms
- xj coils
- chevy leafs

Jose, sorry I didn't get your calls this evening, not sure what is going on with the phones. Give me a call tomorrow if you want, I'll be in the garage.

88cherokee

Postby 88cherokee » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:14 pm

Stock XJ coils? I might have some ya can have but It wont be til later this year. Maybe beginning of 08.

:oops: I dont believe in holidays but I will prolly get like 50-100 bucks in january for our family gift day.

if your wondering im a jehovah witness! :wink: I know you guys are nice and wont give me a hard time about it, 8)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:04 am

We're not nice and will give you a hard time about it. . .but it will be in fun.

If you do XJ coils Don. . upside down, I'm guessing. . .it will be a flexy little sucker!!!

Colletively, how do "WE" feel about cutting and turning our own beams and fabbing up some longer radius arms?

I feel GREAT about it in theory and design, but, practically, I can barely do what I'm told. . .of course, there are some not so secret reasons that I ask this question.

Fozzie

Postby Fozzie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:49 pm

I recall mentioning that the driveline was off a '95,give me a chance to make it right,eventhough you picked it.

"Racing is living,Everything else is just waiting!"Steve McQueen

Don

Postby Don » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:56 pm

OldGreen wrote:We're not nice and will give you a hard time about it. . .but it will be in fun.

If you do XJ coils Don. . upside down, I'm guessing. . .it will be a flexy little sucker!!!

Colletively, how do "WE" feel about cutting and turning our own beams and fabbing up some longer radius arms?

I feel GREAT about it in theory and design, but, practically, I can barely do what I'm told. . .of course, there are some not so secret reasons that I ask this question.

From what I understand, 3" lift XJ coils keep you between stock and +2". I can make that work with camber adjustments. The plan for the rear is flipping the rear shackle hanger and running 63" chevy leafs. That also should end up about +2".

Now ... about the cutting the beams. At one point I had researched this extensively, and it seems pretty simple. It's just a matter of building a jig that holds the ball joint end solid, and having a movable peg to position the pivot wherever you want. Then cut, patch, weld, and gusset. It really doesn't look that scary. So, I could do a 3" cut and turn with 5-6" XJ coils and extended arms 8) I've also looked extending the radius arms. It looks like the hardest part is making a new crossmember. Basicly it takes replacing the tranny crossmember (or grafting to it), then cutting a section out of the stock radius arm. It looks like about 1"id 3/16 wall tube will slip over the existing stub on the arm, then put the bushing end stub in and weld. The weld at the front ends up in a pretty high stress spot, but nothing a gusset out of 1x3 tube wouldn't fix.

I'm more than willing to use the Bronco as a guinea pig for our experiments.

Don

Postby Don » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:57 pm

war&peace wrote:I recall mentioning that the driveline was off a '95,give me a chance to make it right,eventhough you picked it.

Ha ha, thanks. When you working? I've got a shopping list of other stuff ...

Fozzie

Postby Fozzie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:26 pm

right now,till 5,then getting drunk and boating

"Racing is living,Everything else is just waiting!"Steve McQueen

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:17 pm

Don wrote:
OldGreen wrote:We're not nice and will give you a hard time about it. . .but it will be in fun.

From what I understand, 3" lift XJ coils keep you between stock and +2". I can make that work with camber adjustments. The plan for the rear is flipping the rear shackle hanger and running 63" chevy leafs. That also should end up about +2".

Now ... about the cutting the beams. At one point I had researched this extensively, and it seems pretty simple. It's just a matter of building a jig that holds the ball joint end solid, and having a movable peg to position the pivot wherever you want. Then cut, patch, weld, and gusset. It really doesn't look that scary. So, I could do a 3" cut and turn with 5-6" XJ coils and extended arms 8) I've also looked extending the radius arms. It looks like the hardest part is making a new crossmember. Basicly it takes replacing the tranny crossmember (or grafting to it), then cutting a section out of the stock radius arm. It looks like about 1"id 3/16 wall tube will slip over the existing stub on the arm, then put the bushing end stub in and weld. The weld at the front ends up in a pretty high stress spot, but nothing a gusset out of 1x3 tube wouldn't fix.

I'm more than willing to use the Bronco as a guinea pig for our experiments.

Yep. . that sounds right. you've done the same research that I have done. We should pull a beam, buy some beer, take it to Jose's and have him stare at it for a while to come up with a design for the jig. I'm thinking of using 1.25" heim joints on the radius arms. . .IF there is a good reason to other than the fact that they look really pimp.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:28 pm

On the heim comment,

Don and I have discused this point, and on your truck it is prolly worth it but his will work just fine with stock bushings.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:03 pm

I'm not entirely convinced either way. . .maybe not stock bushings, but bushings of the "normal" variety.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:31 pm

Ok, urethane bushings in the stock size/shape . . .

Don

Postby Don » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:39 pm

At that pivot point, by the time you get your arms extended, I don't think the heims will be an advantage as far as range of movement is concerned. But they would have a huge advantage for wear. On a desert truck you would definately want to use the heims.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”