Finally Went And Done It...

Post pics and info of your current projects.
OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:13 am

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:33 am

Okay you clowns, enough of picking on the Farmall :wink:

So, a couple weeks ago, Tim came over with the bore scope to see what's making to noises. Found a couple scared up pistons. I am NOT in the mood to rebuild the 304.

So, found a low mile (Less than 50K) 345 runner up in Quincy. Thanks to Rick Westra! Does have a slight heating issue, but I think that can be cured. It has 4bbl intake, so guess I either find a 500 to fit, or try to cobble up an FI. Dunno...

Along with the engine, Rick threw in a rebuild kit for the 727, and an actual working shifter. Still need to get a drive plate and kickdown linkage.

I'll get it a little at a time, budget allowing.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Okay, I'm finally out in the newly "cleaned and organized" garage ripping into the engines I have for the Scout. I'm going to try to keep spme kind of track of things here. Pix may or may not get put up regular...Right now I'm going to start a thread on JustIH with some questions for the experts.
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Great. One of the 345's has a blown head gasket. Good thing it's not the one I plan on putting in. Guess I decide what parts to keep for spares...
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Found a kid here in town wants the "bad" engine, so that problem is solved. And I'm getting a tilt column from him, so, that works...
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 am

Some progress on the parts gathering last few days. I now have custody of a complete ARB for the rear, a Lock Right for the front, 3:73 gears, and a bumper/spare carrier.

Now for the fun part. Time to ask how everyone that can help feels about a work party to get the 304 yanked. I figure if that can get done between now and Christmas, I'll be able to get things clean and ready for the 345/auto. My ailing back allowing, I want to get the garage in order over the next few days so the critter can be moved inside and we can stay some semblance of warm! I have a heater that hooks to a 20# tank that may help a bit.

Rebuilding the 727 gets postponed until after the 1st, given that I just dropped $300 on the lockers. That said, who does the collective recommend for this part of the project. I do have the option of having Trashy's brother do it, which involves hauling it to Prosser. Thing is, there's some tapping/drilling needs to be done for the vents on the trans, bull gear housing, and t-case first. As they are, they ingest water pretty bad. Trying to decide if I feel talented enough to try it.

The 345 is pretty much cleaned up, but there's a bunch of stuff off the 304 to get pulled, clean, and bolted on. And I need to modify an oil pan. These things have starvation issues I really don't need to be dealing with!
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:33 am

Now, as far as my notion for a parts pulling extravaganza, how does Dec. 15/16 look for any of you? I, of course, will have a supply of Sessions and munchies. The floor is now open for comment :wink:
Dave

Quote:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:39 am

Grumpy wrote:Rebuilding the 727 gets postponed until after the 1st, given that I just dropped $300 on the lockers. That said, who does the collective recommend for this part of the project. I do have the option of having Trashy's brother do it, which involves hauling it to Prosser. Thing is, there's some tapping/drilling needs to be done for the vents on the trans, bull gear housing, and t-case first. As they are, they ingest water pretty bad. Trying to decide if I feel talented enough to try it.

Did that mod on my old 32RH. I wasn't hard - If I remember right the 727 is similar. And if it's going to be rebuilt anyway it's even easier as you'll have new seals to put in.

Grumpy wrote:Now, as far as my notion for a parts pulling extravaganza, how does Dec. 15/16 look for any of you? I, of course, will have a supply of Sessions and munchies. The floor is now open for comment ;)

I should be around then. Gotta make a trip into town for some shopping before Christmas anyway.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Grumpy wrote:...we can stay some semblance of warm!

You can borrow my jet engine heater for a few days.
You'll be warm, oh yes, you will be warm.

15th and 16th are sketchy for me, as are all weekends between now and Xmas, but it if I am able I'll be thee for a bit.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:02 pm

The "Scout Build" Steering Committee had an informal meeting last nite, and here's the proposed schedule for the "work" party:

Date - Dec. 15, 2012

Start time - 7-8:00 AM

Stop time - In time for the PPP

Place - The Grump Casa (1003 W. 44th Place, Kennewick)

I realize this is the same day as the PPP, but I don't envision this being much more than informal planning, with some vehicle moving and part removal. I may even have some of the moving whupped before hand.

I'll break out the big coffee pot, and Susan has allowed as she'll have munchies. Her rule is that they be eaten before she gets home from work. It's a diet thing.
Dave

Quote:

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:40 pm

In!

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm in. Being the same day as the party just makes things easier.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:39 pm

In(ish). Ok, I'm in. :-)

I'll bring the jet engine over Friday.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Well, not much more to move and/or rearrange and I'll have room to get the thing inside. I even know where all the parts are, even if they are all over the garage...Anyone want to help start it and get it in Sunday??
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Yup, it's gonna fit :D As advertised, we will, thanks to Lee's jet heater, have a temperate climate to work in 8) Susan is planning a pot of taco soup for lunch, and we'll have liquids of some kind...
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 pm

And now for a list of some of the parts still needed:

SpeediSleeves for ends of crank

T-case seals and gaskets

Shift cable

Dowel pins

Kickdown cable

Engine and trans mounts

Hoses and belts

Oil pump rebuild kit

Plugs, points, etc

The usual misc. nuts, bolts, and scews
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Near as I figure, will have about 7' in front of the critter, and a bit over 2' on both sides to work. More than I thought in front.
Dave

Quote:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Need any tools or do you have that covered? Probably a silly question to ask a PP but figured I might as well... :lol:

If you have an air compressor I have a couple air tools that make things go alot faster. Also got a couple sets of shorty ratcheting end wrenches that I can't seem to live without anymore.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:28 am

Dale, we should be well covered for tools! Air isn't a problem. I have a 1/2 impact, 3/8 air ratchet, air drill, etc. Pretty much full sets of standard and metric sockets, too. And ratcheting end wrenches 8) I've even got things cleaned up so we have two bench areas to work on. Haven't bolted down the grinder or vise yet, but we may not need them yet...Sent a PM with my addy and phone.
Dave

Quote:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 am

Heh, thought that would be the case. :lol: Got the PM, I'll see you tomorrow morning.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Lee dropped off the heat, so that's covered. And there's about 2 gallons of taco soup for lunch. Not sure what ya'll like for trimmings, so bring chips or...If you do breakfast, that's your choice, too. I need to be up a while before food has any meaning for me. I WILL have coffee!
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:28 am

Well, everything is out and on the floor, which is a mess! IH engines seem to hold a bunch of coolant. Cleanup begins in a while, after COFFEE!!

Now, for the important part of this post. Dale and his brother ROCK :thu: Without their help, there is a likelihood I'd still be out there fumbling around. Ah, to be 30 years younger again!

And yes, Jose, you're invited over to get dirty and get the bowl of taco soup you missed yesterday :twisted:
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:22 am

And if you weren't paying attention, last night's slide show had pictorial proof that the above did take place. Thanks, Steve :lol:
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:51 am

Decided to cast about to see if I can find a set of headers that need a home. The front part of the exhaust needs a bit of attention due to the 345 being some taller and wider that the 304, soooo...
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:50 am

Been a bit remiss in paying attention to posting here! The 345 is actually starting to look like an engine. Accessory mounts are on, starter, motor mounts, etc. All painted and shiny.

Most of the parts are coming off the 304 we pulled, so cleaning has been a challenge. Don't think I've ever seen an engine this dirty! So much crud on the front that the shape of what's under the mess doesn't show. Slow going.

Pulled the oil pan off the 304 Saturday as I need it and the oil pump. This pump and oil pan were only used on Scout II's, so kind of have to use 'em. Started poking around in the sludge in the pan, and am finding a bit of shrapnel like what Tim fished out of the top end! Given the size of it, I'm betting on broken rings. Also some flat pieces that may be cam bearing material...
Dave

Quote:

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”