Flatty - The Home Alone Build

Post pics and info of your current projects.
tobyw

Flatty - The Home Alone Build

Postby tobyw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 am

This outta teach my wife to leave me at home alone for a couple days… :lol:

So, as the story goes, I used to wheel a flatty. A lot.

Then, I met the aforementioned wife, and life started changing. Still wheeled the flatty, but not as much. The creature comforts of the flatty were, well, not there. After this particular trip, she’d had enough:

So, I put in a heater and slapped on a soft top. Voila…

One fine afternoon, I decided to finally tackle that pesky oil leak from the rear main seal. Well, one thing led to another, and the next thing I knew, the drivetrain was out, the flatty was cut in half, a new front frame section was fabricated, and some new springs were hung under the front end, SRS style. A power steering box was also hung from the new frame section, and a tilt column from an XJ found its way under the dash.

About this time, I came across a raging deal on an XJ… Knowing a batch of kids was not far off, the flatty was parked and work began on the XJ build. Fast forward several years, and I’ve built/wheeled/sold that XJ, a YJ, a TJ, and a JK.

Now, we’ve come full circle. The kids are old enough to brave the elements, can get themselves into the rear seat area, and for the record, really only accompany me on wheeling trips about 10% of the time. So, as of 0600 Tuesday, 12-21-2010, the flatty resurrection is in full swing!

There are a lot of items that need addressed on the old girl. Obviously, there is the matter of reassembly. However, during that process, I will make some modifications/upgrades to my original, several-year-old, plans. There are also some maintenance items that need attention, such as rotten fuel lines, pinched brake lines, disintegrated motor/trans/case mounts, and the list goes on. Anyhow, here is brief look at what I’ve been doing while home alone…

First up was some corner protection/beautification. 10ga sheetmetal and a little time…

Then it was time to address the sides. Years of abuse had left them, ummm, beat. So, more 10ga, some tubing, and…

On to the front. After standing back and looking at it, I just didn’t like the blocky look of the front frame section, and especially the spring hangers. With a little plasma, a little skinny wheel, and a little porta band, it turned out like this…

And before you go mocking all my speed holes, consider this: I have a whopping 58hp at the flywheel… I need EVERY speed hole I can sneak in!!!

Next, I needed a place to hang some shocks. Looking forward to some future mods, I wanted mounts that would allow some decent travel…

So, that brings it up to current, as of about 1am this morning. There is still a formidable list of things to take care of before it’ll move under its own power again, and unfortunately my time alone is dwindling. I’ll be back to my usual, slower pace once the wife and kids are back. However, I am hoping to have it at least semi-functional (think EB at FYBR) for the spring snow run. 8)
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:55 am

Why are you staying with the flat head?
I've seen them go just about anywhere but still a lot asth-matic on longer hill climbs.

Is that a stock heater? I have one very similar in my Flatty but not sure what it came from.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Nice! No wonder my wife never leaves me home alone.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Sweet, makes me feel lazy for not finishing some of the simple projects I have going.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:22 pm

bobracing wrote:Why are you staying with the flat head?

Well, "staying with" is a loaded term... I've got plans for a 4.3L swap in the future, but a lot of other work will accompany that upgrade. For now, I just want to get it back on the trail.

bobracing wrote:Is that a stock heater?

I'm not aware of any heater that is stock flatty...Not a lot of Willys factory options in the 1940's :lol: There may have been some offered with the Arctic Top package? That said, it's just a basic aftermarket heater from a local radiator repair shop. Has a 2-speed fan and will roast me right out, even with just the bikini top on.

Duckman

Postby Duckman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:37 pm

This went in my Flatty. Definitely keeps you warm. Fits nicely under the dash too.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/under-dash-hea ... rid=c926j1

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Does it need bigger brakes?
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Screaming Toylet wrote:Does it need bigger brakes?

It's got 10" drums front/rear right now, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for 11" rears and potentially discs up front... Do you have something socked away somewhere that I may be interested in? The wife is still gone... :lol:

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Sorry, I don't have brake stuff. I was just wondering what you had in mind. BTW, you should check out my shop.... It's big, empty and warm. We missed you and your family at the club Xmass party.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:13 pm

I have a HP30 sitting behind the house that I will be rebuilding someday. I will be swapping the brakes from the stock D30 onto that one. It has complete disk brakes on it: calipers, pads, and rotors. Don't know what kind of shape they are in, or if you have any use for them. If you do, you can have them.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:30 pm

tobyw wrote:It's got 10" drums front/rear right now, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for 11" rears and potentially discs up front... Do you have something socked away somewhere that I may be interested in? The wife is still gone... :lol:

have a full set of front and rears.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:32 pm

TJDave wrote:I have a HP30 sitting behind the house that I will be rebuilding someday. I will be swapping the brakes from the stock D30 onto that one. It has complete disk brakes on it: calipers, pads, and rotors. Don't know what kind of shape they are in, or if you have any use for them. If you do, you can have them.

Those are scrap for toby's usage a OG dana 30 is not anything like a new dana 30.

Although I may know a guy that could use them.... :lol:

Looks like fun Toby. My fresh 22re would work much better in there than that silly 4.3 and that 4.3 would work much better in my truck.... :D

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:00 pm

bobracing wrote:have a full set of front and rears.

Really... Shoot me a PM and let's dance :lol:

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:32 am

So Toby, you're not interested in the Chevy D44 any more?

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:42 am

that tub is in way better shape then mine...
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Work continues, albeit at a markedly s-l-o-w-e-r pace… Items of note, but not picture worthy:

• Replaced D41 rear axle with flanged D44
• Repaired sloppy brake and clutch pedal swing assemblies
• Finished installation of XJ tilt column (fabricated dash mount bracket)
• Replaced transmission and transfer case mount bushings
• Reinstalled shift tower assembly
• Reinstalled and modified throttle linkage to accommodate new Solex carburetor
• Reinstalled oil filter housing and lines after repairing mounting bracket
• Sketched up 1.376 billion roll cage ideas…

Now, a couple things I did take pictures of:

Here is something you simply don’t see – power steering on an L-head!! I fabricated the bracket based on what remained of the factory pivot-tensioner bracket from an ’85 XJ…

And here is the new radiator mount crossmember…

Notched for steering shaft clearance…

So, here is how it currently sits…

Next up will be finishing the brake plumbing, fabricating shock mounts (tabs, brackets, etc), hanging the radiator to figure out the hose routing with the new p/s obstructions, and starting in on the new cage and seats.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Seriously. . .you picked up that PS pump/bracket this morning and you already have it ON. . .

coooool

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:36 am

LOL - it was actually hanging on there shortly after noon. Had to go inside to make a sammich and then went after the radiator mount. Sammich ran out about 3pm so I played with the kids the rest of the afternoon :lol:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:54 pm

Can you turn and drive forward at the same time with power steering on that thing? :lol:

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:28 pm

I dunno, but you can tell when the lights are on :oops: :lol:

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:51 pm

D1 = 5
D2 = 5
C-C = 18
BL = 51.5

***posting for future reference***

Dale

jeep

Postby Dale » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:00 pm

does it have the ability to run some bigger tires? some big meats would look tuff on their. 8)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:35 am

I'm building it for 33's. I ran a set of 33's long ago, and below 5k ft elevation it wasn't too horrible. However, when I moved to AZ and started wheeling in the Flagstaff area, above 7k ft, it was not good. And our annual trek to Colorado with several 10k+ jaunts was just flat miserable... So I went back to a 31. The rollers in the pics are some old Dick Cepek m/t's, and are honestly the smallest 31's I have ever seen. I've got a set of 31" Wildcats that are roughly 1.5" taller and 1" wider mounted up, so even if I run those, it'll look different than it does right there...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Still plugging away, ever so slowly…

I have had the front sheetmetal on and off more times than I care to count, but the effort has not been fruitless. I got the shock mounts completed, the radiator mounts located, and the grill mount figured out.

Radiator and grill mounts:

Driver side axle shock mount tabs:

Driver side hoop shock mount tabs:

And, after much deliberation and a few test fits, I have set aside a set of 35’s I picked up and ended up stealing the 33’s off the EB, for now… Here is how it currently sits:

So, I still have a laundry list of stuff to finish, and I picked up a full set of 11â€

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:02 am

Keep it up Toby, wish the Jive Turkey was moving this fast! Oh yeah, I need to get out in the driveway . . . :lol:

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”