Black mall crawler 90% bolt on build.

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Thu May 19, 2011 8:47 pm

The question after all this work is.....are U going to be able to wheel it? :P
Forget your age and live your life!

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu May 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Danny wrote:The question after all this work is.....are U going to be able to wheel it? :P

No. I don't want to break it. :mosc

I found some barely used 35" tires online and had them mounted on some aluminum wheels.

Road test tomorrow.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri May 20, 2011 7:08 am

I like those wheels on there they look better than the run of the mill schwabby crap that most run. Granted they probably did come from schwabby's but at least you showed better taste. :lol:

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri May 20, 2011 7:25 am

I know they look good on my heep 8)
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

CopenhagenCowboy

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Fri May 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Looks good! 8)
"a road is merely a suggestion" "Your ricers not so fast with a Jeep on it" "When was the last time you got an adrenaline rush at 3mph?" "Jeeps dont leak, they just mark their territory"

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri May 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanx! The steel wheels and Toyo's went on Tim's YJ. I don't do Lester Schlob anymore. (long story) I have been going to Discount tire for my last few tire purchases. The new wheels were only $85 a pop. I tried them out today! No wobble, no shimmy, nothing.
Also today: My bashed winch solonoid box was filed, and the insides mounted under the hood. New hard wired winch switch on the dash. Replaced front driveshaft U-joints. Set the toe in. Had to make more room for the AA TC linkage bracket with a BFH. (After the tummy tuck, it hit the tub. :evil: Should of went with the Novak cable shifter.) Then took it for a drive. First bump and something hit hard in the rear. WTF? The rear track bar was upside down and hitting the crossmember. :banghead I know why that happened, upside down is the only way it would fit past the new exhaust system. So, that came off. Put a temporary turn down at the muffler for now until I figure something out. Another drive, some playing on Proado's grass island, and all is good. Drove it home on the hiway. Tomorrow, ARB switches going in, and hard top coming off.

It is good to have my Jeep back at home 8)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri May 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Looks good!!
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri May 20, 2011 10:52 pm

I like the wheels. I look forward to seeing the whole completed project.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sat May 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Very nice collection of parts Dave! This should be a completely different vehicle for you now...
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat May 21, 2011 3:42 pm

Since I used a tape measure and one eyeball to put this thing all back together, I needed to make sure everything was aligned right. Amazing, only the toe in was a little wide. :shock:

It was way overdue for the hard top to be off for the season.
Removed the full doors too.

I drove around for awhile, then it started raining. :evil:
On went the soft top.

That's about it for this round of upgrades, until I can afford to build my HP30. Thanx for reading and all the comments everybody. See you soon.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Sat May 21, 2011 5:43 pm

.....see ya soon, huh? U mean at the Mall don't ya? I'm ready to take it out and trash something.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat May 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Danny wrote:.....see ya soon, huh? U mean at the Mall don't ya? I'm ready to take it out and trash something.

:shock: Do all retired people get this way?? :lol:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Sat May 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Yup, not a care in the world!!! Loads of fun at anyone esles expense. :D

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sat May 21, 2011 8:51 pm

TJDave wrote:
Danny wrote:.....see ya soon, huh? U mean at the Mall don't ya? I'm ready to take it out and trash something.

:shock: Do all retired people get this way?? :lol:

You can shut him up TJ by out wheelin' him. Unfortunately that is awlful Goddamn hard to do.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri May 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Ok, another mod. I put a new sticker on the gas tank skid. :D

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Optiskate

Postby Optiskate » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Looks really good. Where are you at in Pasco?

Oh yeah, if you're interested, some time in the near future I'll have a set of BTF tube fenders for sale. :P

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Optiskate wrote:Looks really good. Where are you at in Pasco?

Oh yeah, if you're interested, some time in the near future I'll have a set of BTF tube fenders for sale. :P

Thanx!
I live in a van, down by the river. :D Rd 100-ish.
I am undecided on what I am going to do about my front fenders right now. I want to stay somewhat legal so Johnny does not pull me over when I want to drive it around town.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Optiskate

Postby Optiskate » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:53 pm

TJDave wrote:
Optiskate wrote:Looks really good. Where are you at in Pasco?

Thanx!
I live in a van, down by the river. :D Rd 100-ish.
I am undecided on what I am going to do about my front fenders right now. I want to stay somewhat legal so Johnny does not pull me over when I want to drive it around town.

Totally understandable. If you do want'em they do keep with your 90% bolt on theme as all the fabbing is done and they just bolt on. :lol: They Just would need a fresh coat of paint.

So you don't actually live too far from me. I'm off road 68 and sandifur. You should swing by for a beer some time.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Optiskate wrote:So you don't actually live too far from me. I'm off road 68 and sandifur. You should swing by for a beer some time.

8) That would be cool.

I'm pretty close. I've seen you in your Jeep quite a number of times. I usually take Sandifer east to 68th when I go to any of the stores over there. It's faster and less lights. Although I have never been able to catch up to you. You are going too fast. :lol:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Jobin

Postby Jobin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:02 am

[quote="TJDave"]Since I used a tape measure and one eyeball to put this thing all back together, I needed to make sure everything was aligned right. Amazing, only the toe in was a little wide. :shock:

Is it just me or does the passenger side axle tube look bent???

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:23 pm

Jobin wrote:Is it just me or does the passenger side axle tube look bent???

It is bent. It actually helps offset the weight of the driver when offroad. :humhihi

It's a crummy cell phone pic. Don't know why it did that. You are not the first person that mentioned that when they saw that pic. I assure you, the housing is straight. :wink:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Optiskate

Postby Optiskate » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:18 pm

TJDave wrote:
Optiskate wrote:So you don't actually live too far from me. I'm off road 68 and sandifur. You should swing by for a beer some time.

8) That would be cool.

I'm pretty close. I've seen you in your Jeep quite a number of times. I usually take Sandifer east to 68th when I go to any of the stores over there. It's faster and less lights. Although I have never been able to catch up to you. You are going too fast. :lol:

You are the first person to ever say that I drive fast. If you ask my wife, she'll say I'm the most painfully slow driver ever. :lol:

This Saturday is my sons b-day, but maybe next weekend we could kick it and have a beer or something.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:08 am

Ok, maybe a couple more bolt on items to add. Both of which turned out to be a bigger PITA, and took more time than I was planning on.

Currie Antirock: Install was smooth and easy. But, I had to remove the winch and the bumper to get my stock swaybar off, and put the new one on.

My tailgate was starting to show signs of a 33" tire hanging off of it for the past 3 years. There was no way I was going to get away with hanging a matching 35" tire on it. I decided on the Bestop tub mounted carrier. It's pretty solid, and opens with the tailgate. It attaches to a trick roll bar bracket for the upper mount, and a heavy backing plate for the lower. After reading some install tips from other owners, I replaced alot of the provided hardware with grade 8 stuff. Another tip was to not use the instruction's measurements and start drilling holes in the tub. I guess they don't line up. You have to mount the tailgate brackets first, mock up the carrier, then measure and drill the upper tub mount. Take it all off, mount the bracket, rinse and repeat for the lower one. Works great, everything lines up, no rattles or squeeks, and the tailgate and tire swing easily.

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:18 am

Looks good Dave - you'll love that Anti-Rock!! I'm going to give the factory Rubicon e-disconnect a fighting chance on the new Minivan, but at the first sign of trouble I'm going with another Anti-Rock...

Can't wait to follow you around some to give those big rear recovery shackles some use :oops:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:48 am

tobyw wrote:Looks good Dave - you'll love that Anti-Rock!! I'm going to give the factory Rubicon e-disconnect a fighting chance on the new Minivan, but at the first sign of trouble I'm going with another Anti-Rock...

Can't wait to follow you around some to give those big rear recovery shackles some use :oops:

Thanx! Can't wait to try it out this week.
I'm sure the recovery shackles will get some use. But, not so sure if it will be me doing the recovering, or being recovered. :D
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”