Slowly building my mini-monster

Post pics and info of your current projects.
SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:26 pm

I'm back at tinkering with the jeep again. Finally got decent power and lights in my garage.

Next on the list are installing some bumper tie-in brackets that have been sitting in my tool box for over a year. At the same time I am going to put in a Durango steering gear. For the pump I was looking at getting an smaller pulley like this one from PSC. http://www.pscmotorsports.com/4-5-serpe ... -pump.html Anyone have opinions on if it is worth swapping pulleys? Right now the jeep won't turn the tires at idle.

I also have a trans cooler that needs installed and I need to replace the lines between the trans and the radiator. Previous owner cut one of the lines and spliced in some rubber hose which constantly drips trans fluid.
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:09 am

I'm not familiar with your jeep but I would think that if it wont turn the tires at idle you p/s pump is getting weak. I got a huge gain on my bronco by going with a high volume pump with the stock box. Then later if you want to upgrade to a bigger better box or hydraulic assist (I now have both) you already have the pump that you will need to run it.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:41 am

I would also agree that your pump may be getting weak.

I ran through the same issues, mine being a 1984 model XJ with a gazillion miles on it. First, I rebuilt the steering box, which made no change at all.

Further research led me to this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/wj-p ... e-1557921/
It is not a direct fit, but the 2001 Grand Cherokee V8 power steering pump will fit. The differences are:

-you cannot put your stock reservoir on this pump, unless you find a way to seal them together. The GC reservoir and pump mating port is much larger. You can bypass this problem by buying the pump and reservoir together. I advise this as the ones from the junk yard are often cracked, and the XJ reservoir is too small (leading to aeration problems). The WJ reservoir also has two return line ports. Just cap one of those off.

-the pressure ports are different, but easily made to fit. Just swap the fittings as listed in the link above. I also drilled the old pump fitting out like they suggested.

-the mount holes are different. The XJ pump mount holes are threaded, while the WJ mount holes are drilled out, and too large to thread. Easily rectified by purchasing the right length bolts and put nuts on the end. I have this info posted up in one of my threads here somewhere. (edit: cant find it. I don't think I posted it up.)

In the end, this pump made a DRAMATIC change in my steering. Feels easier with 33's than it originally did on stock tires.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:52 am

I have read a few things about swapping in the WJ pump and it seems that some people have issues getting the pumps working properly due to the different fittings.

PSC has a bolt-on pump which is a bit more, but seems to not have any negative reviews.

Getting a reman WJ pump would be a little cheaper upfront and easier to get replacements down the road if needed. But PSC has a better track record it seems. Some even mentioned that the WJ pump might have to much pressure.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:57 pm

In my first go-round with the WJ pump, I used the XJ reservoir and had a rubber grommet I home-brewed to seal it to the pump. I did have aeration issues, but all it did was cause the reservoir to overflow a tad, and only when I was running the dunes and revving real high. Steering operation was otherwise great.

Now I run a remote reservoir off a Ford F250:

Wrench wrote:
So... take a trip to the junk yard and pick this reservoir up for $20:

The donor vehicle was very stripped, but the junkyard receipt says it was a 2004 F250. So is that an upgrade, or downgrade? :P

And I fabbed a little bracket that holds the new fitting into place on the pump:

The new reservoir is nearly twice the capacity of the old one that was attached to the pump. It also has some great baffling inside that should help prevent aeration. I was previously having a bit of a problem with the oil getting aerated and hot, and then puking oil out the vent cap.

In my assessment, I believe the extra pressure/volume of the WJ pump is perfect for our setups, and wont harm the system at all. I believe the problems people were having were really related to either a bad pump off the shelf, or restricted flow somewhere in their system.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Change your fluid...

If that doesn't work, replace your pump...

If that doesn't work, upgrade your pump.

But I REALLY don't think your OE equipment can't turn your wheels, I thought my OE stuff wasn't up to 37" Pit Bulls, turns out I had a bad pump and the Astro van reservoir was causing cavitation!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:51 pm

Roman wrote:Change your fluid...

If that doesn't work, replace your pump...

If that doesn't work, upgrade your pump.

But I REALLY don't think your OE equipment can't turn your wheels, I thought my OE stuff wasn't up to 37" Pit Bulls, turns out I had a bad pump and the Astro van reservoir was causing cavitation!

Yep. . .stock XJ pump turns 33s just fine. You can also get a slower ratio box from an early XJ and it will turn 35s just fine. 8)

The WJ set up does push more fluid faster. . .

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:31 pm

The pump can turn the wheels, just not a idle. If I raise the rpm's a little it will turn them. Thats why I originally was thinking of just swapping the smaller pulley.

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Shim the relieve valve spring and drill the orifice then add a big cooler. The stock xj pump is what Toyota guys run with full hydro so it'll work for you.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:49 pm

White trash wrote:Shim the relieve valve spring and drill the orifice then add a big cooler. The stock xj pump is what Toyota guys run with full hydro so it'll work for you.

If his problem is only at idle, the relief valve mods will make absolutely ZERO difference.

His problem is a lack of VOLUME at that low of an rpm. Pressure is created when the volume exceeds the bleed-off flow in a closed system. He doent have enough volume to make any pressure for the pressure relief system to even to its job.

His pump is obviously worn out, not displacing the volume it should. The stock one will work fine, but the WJ one works so much better. Especially at lower rpm.

Yes, installing a smaller pulley will help the flow at low rpm, but I have no idea what would fit. All the ones I saw at the junk yard had the same diameter pulleys on them.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Wrench wrote:
White trash wrote:Shim the relieve valve spring and drill the orifice then add a big cooler. The stock xj pump is what Toyota guys run with full hydro so it'll work for you.

If his problem is only at idle, the relief valve mods will make absolutely ZERO difference.

His problem is a lack of VOLUME at that low of an rpm. Pressure is created when the volume exceeds the bleed-off flow in a closed system. He doent have enough volume to make any pressure for the pressure relief system to even to its job.

His pump is obviously worn out, not displacing the volume it should. The stock one will work fine, but the WJ one works so much better. Especially at lower rpm.

Yes, installing a smaller pulley will help the flow at low rpm, but I have no idea what would fit. All the ones I saw at the junk yard had the same diameter pulleys on them.

Correct but modding the pump for both pressure and volume won't hurt anything especially if the pump is on its way out any way. Although it may accelerate it's demise. :lol:

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 pm

I think I will replace the pump is the rebuilt WJ unit from the local Napa. That way any issues with it I can return it easily. I'll order it tomorrow and hopefully have it by the weekend.

Do you guys have any recommendations on putting in a ps cooler while I'm at it? Tube&Fin, stacked plate, or the heat sink style?

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Well the WJ pump is in. I had a couple set backs that made it take a couple days while waiting on parts. I also swapped in a durango steering gear. I can turn the wheels at idle now. But it isn't the super easy 1 finger steering the internet made it seem like it was. I also bolted on the bumper tie-in brackets.

I didn't drill out the XJ fitting to the size of the WJ fitting. So maybe I will take it apart soon and enlarge the pressure fitting and see if that makes a difference.

Next up transmission cooler!

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Woohoo a working winch! They guy I bought it from sold it since it didn't fit into his enclosed whlinch bumper. Well it didn't fit on to my bumper either. Well it did after modifying the grill.

I also mounted the trans cooler. Tomorrow I will hook it up to the trans.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:50 am

nice!

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:41 am

Trans cooler is all plumbed in.

Anyone have expience with roll cage kits? After seeing an XJ crunch from rolling I kind of want to had some kind of roll cage.

This one seems like a pretty popular option $550 to my door
http://dandcextreme.com/product/d-and-cs-xj-cage-kits/

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Tue May 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Put on one of the flares I got from scumby. I think they look better than the flares I had on it.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Tue May 06, 2014 8:42 pm

why yes they do.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed May 07, 2014 4:22 am

Looks like it might need a little wheelbase stretch to keep those Grabbers out of the back of the fenders, no?

How do you like the Grabbers in the snow? Best desert tires South of a Baja T/A but I didn't go with them because I thought they might be too stiff in the snow. . .

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Wed May 07, 2014 5:38 am

I haven't gotten into the snow much since I can never find anyone with the same time off to go with me. But they little adventures that I have gone on, they have done well. I got stuck once, but that was because I got my control arm caught on a stump

As far as that rear end goes, ya I should really do something. I have a newer set of stock springs that I was going to swap my AAL into and use my worn out main to help boost it up a bit. A small strech would be nice though

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”