Project/No Project

Post pics and info of your current projects.
OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Well. . .the Rubicon Taco'd my driver's side lower control arm. The passenger side doesn't look much better.

TJ Dave was kind enough to leave a set unattended in the back of his truck.

Then. . .when I told Jose of my plight, he informed me that 1" square tubing drops right inside the arms and you can stitch it in. That sounded like a great plan except that I'm fresh out of 1" square. and I'm impatient. and. . .the A D D.

So, I looked around my metal pile and found a chunk of what I think is 1 1/2" 3/16 bar stock, cut it in half, clamped it to the control arms to match the curve and welded it up.

So, now I have skidplates for my LCAs and they are boxed in. I wanted to make sure to document that fact here in case I need to do something with them when O goes to the crusher.

Tomorrow, I have to install them, a new drag link (long side), and a new driver's side leaf spring shackle along with a driver's side motor mount.

Beyond that, let me be perfectly clear about this. . .: !!: An XJ REALLY needs 4.5" of lift (in addition to a bunch of other shiz) to run the Rubicon.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:57 pm

OldGreen wrote:... and a new driver's side leaf spring shackle ...

Dew tell... I don't remember seeing this one in our quick night 2 evaluation? I know I smoked both of mine because I neglected to cut off the extreee set of mounting holes and they hung lower than the spring eye :oops:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Before and After. . .

For sale: One Z shaped drag link.

I'm guessing that those that say that a Stock Cherokee has its place are correct in some sense. . .but O has been destined for the crusher since I bought him. Heck, if I get 3 years out of a Jeep like this, I couldn't be happier. Let alone one that has wheeled all over the west coast.

Crack at the swaybar mount. My guess is that the impact that took out the draglink did this as well. Interestingly, the crack is only in the first layer of sheetmetal out of about a billion right here:

Ground it out, drilled the ends, welded it up and then stuck a chunk of 1/8" flat bar over it located by one of the swaybar bolts and burned that on as well. I SUCK at welding in general, but overhead is the devil.

The other XJ will have all of these things addressed before it leaves the pavement for the first time. . . 8)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 am

OldGreen wrote:
So, I looked around my metal pile and found a chunk of what I think is 1 1/2" 3/16 bar stock, cut it in half, clamped it to the control arms to match the curve and welded it up.

It was 1 1/4 x 3/16"

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:15 am

Street Shoes/SANDals. . .

That's right. . .3 ball tires.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:35 pm

So. . .I guess O is the test mule. . . QUICK AND DIRTY trim job and brand spankin 35s. . .

These will go on the Green Jeep when it is ready but I can't stop wheelin' just because the project rig isn't done.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:07 pm

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:44 pm

What about that alternator? You got a spec for that (year/make/model?)

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm

those lights are 69$ at autozone ive ran a few sets i like them overall the others.
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Just looked at AZ, looks like they only have 500's. I just put 700FF's on the Motorhome (thought 500's would look a little puny on the Tan Kangaroo)

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:24 pm

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:52 pm

So. . . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was doing some measuring for the new build's suspension. I used Jessy's xj (stock 4 door, auto, 4.0) as a guide.

O is only lifted 2" in the front and 1.5" in the back. On 35s. . .

So, yeah, the new one is gonna need a lil' bit more height. I'm going for...wait. That is another thread. :lol:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 am

I am happy to report that the experiment was a success. The memories that were created driving Orville will last me and mine a lifetime. I can only hope that he, or at least his parts, continue to adventure in the back country for many years to come.

You might think that I am quick to get rid of a rig. . .but those of you that know me also know that I still have the Jeep that I took my driver's test in. This HURT. . .but it was time to move on to the next phase of the experiment.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:26 pm

:ouin, but I guess contrats are in order. O served you well.
Forget your age and live your life!

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”