Project/No Project

Post pics and info of your current projects.
iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:58 pm

OldGreen wrote: Overall, I'm in to the project less than $3000
I agree 110%... oh wait, you have one less zero than me. :oops:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Orville got a present!!

Now, I just need to pony up for another tire. . .

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:32 am

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME 8)
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:18 am

Orv-tastic! 8)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:10 am

. . and Yes, ossifer, I am going to relocated the license plate.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu May 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Orville has become a project. . .sorta

This weekend, I'm going to yard out the axles and put in "similar" units...with slightly deeper gears and a brand spankin' new rear locker to match the front. So, there is no difference in appearance versus the here/now. . .and well. . .there is the "other" project. . .;)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri May 25, 2012 6:36 am

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri May 25, 2012 7:20 am

tobyw wrote:Image

Does this tire make my butt look big? Lmao
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri May 25, 2012 7:28 am

Can't swing a dead cat . . .

Step 1: find a dead cat! :twisted:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Swapped out the rear end for one with lower gears. Installed the Spartan. Lifted the rear end a little more to level it out.

Front end next weekend. Going to match the gears and do 760X front shafts.

Also, installing the WD hitch and getting the wiring all squared away.

Driving impressions: It is amazing what a 15% increase (decrease?) in gear ratio will do for "seat of the pants". I'm excited for the commute in the morning to get it up to freeway speeds and get 5th gear back.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:33 pm

What did you do to lift the rear end a little more? My cherokee has a slight front to back lean that I'm not a fan of
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 am

Those Ranger shackles turned out PERFECT 8)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:40 am

tobyw wrote:Those Ranger shackles turned out PERFECT 8)

This. I had some used Ranger shackles. You have to grind off the exposed edge of the upper bushing sleeve and then just bolt them in. Gave around 3/4" of lift and leveled it right up. It looks GREAT now. That pic is on a hill facing uphill. It is even more level on level ground.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:21 am

I need more like 2in I think. I did an add a leaf with worn out springs. If I measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well the back is just under 2 in shorter than the front.
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 am

SquirrelCrusher wrote:If I measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well the back is just under 2 in shorter than the front.

Not to junk up OG's build thread, but if I'm reading your post correctly you need to take a different measurement... Take a close look at the flares front-rear, and you'll quickly see that the rear flares are lower. Your best bet would be put a level on the rockers and see how it truly sits and go from there. Put a floor jack under the rear bumper and adjust up until you're satisfied, then figure out the best plan to get there.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:01 am

SquirrelCrusher wrote:I need more like 2in I think. I did an add a leaf with worn out springs. If I measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well the back is just under 2 in shorter than the front.

Got everything in the back of your XJ that you would be taking on a wheeling trip? I made the mistake of leveling my TJ while it was completely empty, when I did my last build up. When I put all my tools, recovery gear, rear seat, full tank of gas, and a kid back there, it sagged the back end if the Jeep.

3" may work....just sayin' :wink:

Edit: sorry for the hijack OG. :(
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:04 am

Personally, I wouldn't advise a shackle that is more than 3" longer than stock without some sort of way to locate the axle (Wishbone anti-wrap bar or something). Ideally, a 2" or so longer shackle and the appropriate spring arch would be the way to go.

Ditto on the setting ride height with the "most common load". I carry my tools and recovery gear everywhere with me, but usually no one in the back seat. Set at that height, I still ride out fine with the kiddos in the rear.

No worries on the hijack. This is all good info to get out there for the googlebots.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:51 pm

After a couple of days of living with the new rearend in the Jeep on my commute and around town. I have some observations and, really, some general thoughts on the subject.

1. I love 5th gear, but now I love 3rd gear even more. Freeway on ramps are now in the sweet spot.
b. The Spartan in the rear combined with the manual tranny has me getting used to driving again. I hear that it will be a little less annoying once it is broken in and I get used to it. It sure works though. . .no question there. It also makes it track better on the freeway. At least something does.

III: I've been asked why I went to all this trouble to swap from 3.07s to 3.55s. People told me to go lower and that I wouldn't be happy. . .etc. The fact is that Orville does just fine on the trail 99% of the time. A little lower gearing definitely helps there, but where the gears really shine is on the road. 55mph at 2100 rpm in 4th should also be great for pulling my 2500lb trailer. For the freeway, I roll out at 2400RPM in 5th at 75mph.
Many people have AX15 or NV3550 manual transmissions and 4.0 engines. The following for the search engines out there and applies toward the aforementioned powertrain with regards to differential gearing while driving on the STREET/HIGHWAY. the "or lower" refers to a higher percentage of trail use.

29" tires = 3.07 or lower
31" tires = 3.55 or lower
32" tires = 3.73 or lower
33" tires = 4.10 or lower
35" tires = 4.56 or lower
37" tires = 4.88 or lower
38" tires = 5.13 or lower
40" tires = 5.38 or lower
40+" tires = you are on your own.

Honestly, I thought I would be happier with 4.10s. In reality, the internet lies. It is full of people that took other people's advice and justify the results.
I was certainly on both ends of that equation.

The whole point of this thread is to document how you can be realistic, frugal, and gradual about building a capable trail vehicle that you can still drive to the office Mon-Fri.

Up to this point, Orville had 2 major flaws:
1. Highway gearing (5th gear was largely pointless and starting on a hill with the trailer smelled phunny). Cured that with the axle swap.
2. Traction. Added 25% more traction with the rear locker. . .now he's locked up all the way around.

Next up: WD Hitch and wiring for the brake controller.
Next wheelin' mod: Creative recovery gear. . .but you'll have to wait until after an EPIC summer of wheelin' and road trippin' to see what that looks like. All my money from now until August is going to be invested in making memories. . .

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm

I C a challenge coming up come Fourth of Ju ly!!!

Who will win....Odds anyone?
Forget your age and live your life!

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 pm

3.55's, huh? Did you get those gears from Jose? I think I have the front axle gears here somewhere...

I think my next rig will have tall gears and a 4:1 low range box.

Do you have a 7-way socket already that has a charge line? Or do you need to run both the charge line and brake control wires? Dont forget to install circuit breakers near the battery for both the charge and brake wiring.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:25 am

I have to run both at the same time. There will be circuit breakers for both under.the hood.

Not Jose's gears. I bought a complete set of Xj axles and a set of the big front shafts from a guy in Yakima.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Hey Jimmy, I'm hoping to install my 5.13s this weekend and I'm considering a Spartan for the front of my JK. There's a shop in Portland that sells them for about $265 (Craigslist). Any thoughts, as it is my DD...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:55 pm

5.13s? Awesome. 35s?? That seems to be the hot ticket for JKs.

The spartan is a great choice. I DD my XJ with one in the front. EVERY morning I make a full lock 180 turn in my street. You can hear it click. Once in a while you will hear it click when you back up and turn at the same time. It does NOT affect street performance.

Now, the rear spartan is a different story on the street. . .manageable, but completely "present". Since it is new, it is quite aggressive on the street.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Today I swapped out the fronend for one with matching gears to the rear. Installed the locker, etc. Along with big ujoint shafts....

Turns out that this phase isn't quite over....one of.the last bolts to go in was the upper caliper bolt on the passenger side. The hole is stripped. So...tomorrow morning I'm changing the knuckle, attaching the track bar, filling it up with 90wbig and going on a test drive.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Test drive complete. Everything functions properly. Only two more wheelin mods left to go. Winch and the top secret slider project....winch will wait until just before FYBR.

*posted from the mall*

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”