2001 TJ 32RH to AW4 Swap

Post pics and info of your current projects.
mattawajeep

2001 TJ 32RH to AW4 Swap

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Figure I'll start a thread even though I don't have much done yet. Should help me keep things organized.

Parts Needed:

98-01 AW4 Trans
98-01 AW4 Torque Convertor
98-01 AW4 Flex Plate
98-01 AW4 Dust Shields
98-01 AW4 TCM & Harness Connector
98-01 AW4 Trans Harness Connections (Grey & Black)
98-01 AW4 Crankshaft Position Sensor
98-01 AW4 Dipstick & Tube
AW4 Shift Indicator Panel

Front Driveline
Rear Driveline
Super Short SYE
Dakota Digital Inline Speedo Thingy
Trans Case Shifter Bracket (Think my novak cable shifter will work)
Longer Transmission Mounting Bolts
Wire for new Harness (Think I can get some 19 wire cable for this)

Parts That Interchange:

Torque Convertor Bolts
32RH Flex Plate Spacer
32RH Shift Cable
32RH Throttle Cable - At least it's supposed to be
Transfer Case

Modifications:

Re-Clock Transfer case
Cut down TC input shaft
Make Harness
Modify Stock Shover err skid
Install SYE
Get rear driveshaft modified
Find long enough front driveshaft

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Got a 98 AW4 w/ 96k miles on it tonight. Also picked up a harbor freight transmission jack. Gonna drop the pan on the AW4 tonight, and see how far I can get on pulling out my old tranmission

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 am

Got the old transmission removed.... Time for bed.....

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:59 am

Very nice!!!

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:32 am

Well, I'm a moron and didn't notice that the transmission I bought yesterday was missing it's nuetral safety switch until I got home last night and started reading an XJ parts manual. Apparantly the silly thing checks what gear you're in, manages brake lights, weather, the stock market, and the driver's blood pressure.

Called Craig at PAW, and he dug one out for me and is mailing it down.

Still need:

Flex Plate
Dust Shields
TCM
Dipstick and tube
CPS

Gonna try and clock the transfer case tonight - looks like it's going to be a huge pain to get things lined up right.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:10 pm

I think I may have a flexplate, pan and dipstick. I'll check when I get home later. As for clicking it why not just use a clicking ring? That would save you from cutting the input too.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:37 pm

It is possible that I have the required clocking ring and spacer. . .

How much of a space do you need? (how much were you planning on chopping off of the input shaft?)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:12 pm

White trash wrote:I think I may have a flexplate, pan and dipstick. I'll check when I get home later. As for clicking it why not just use a clicking ring? That would save you from cutting the input too.

Huh, wasn't aware that that was an option. A flexplate and dipstick would be great, I've got Craig at PAW looking for those right now in case the yard guy missed them yesterday. If he doest find them I'll let you know.

As far as what I'll be cutting off, I'm not sure. Think the shaft needs to be 13/16", but I won't know until I get home. Currently burning some stuff out in the orchard and am posting from my phone.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:49 pm

OldGreen wrote:It is possible that I have the required clocking ring and spacer. . .

How much of a space do you need? (how much were you planning on chopping off of the input shaft?)

I'm not sure adding a ring is a good idea unless the spacer is shorter as the AW4 is longer overall. I'll be adding a super short SYE but that's still going to leave me with a rather short rear drive shaft.

Here's a few dimensions:

32RH Overall Length: 22.5"
AW4 Overall Length: 25 1/8"

Difference: 2 5/8"

According to Novak, the difference between the long and short 23 spline input shafts is .9". So I believe that's what needs to come off.

Here's a few pics just cause:

Slave Labor:

32RH:

AW4:

AW4 Spacer (Another reason a different spacer might not be a good idea. That electrical doodad is for the speedometer sensor - and while my TJ computer won't care I think the AW4 TCU uses for shifting & locking the torque convertor.)

So I have a few options for the shaft - I could buy a new short shaft from Novak ($150) and save the trouble of cutting. Or I could just cut my current long shaft - and if I mess it up I'd just have to buy a new one. So nothing lost on the cutting side of things.

OG - if you do have a clocking ring I'd like to borrow it if I could - I think it would make a very nice jig/template for marking the holes I need to drill.
Last edited by mattawajeep on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:04 pm

It is still attached rip the tranny. I think that the combo is the same length you need. If you want to just user it for a template, I could take it off for you.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:52 pm

OldGreen wrote:It is still attached rip the tranny. I think that the combo is the same length you need. If you want to just user it for a template, I could take it off for you.

The transmission isn't still in a vehicle is it? If not I'd like to borrow it as a template - and if it has a spot for the speedometer sensor and is the right length I might just have to buy it from from you.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Got a TCM coming (110 bucks on ebay - 15-30 bucks cheaper than I could find locally with the plug).

Also had my brother find me some parts from PAW. Crankshaft position sensor, dust shields, nuetral safety switch, & dipstick tube should be here tonight.

I think that all that's left is the actual dipstick, and a flex plate. So White Trash, if you've got them, I'll take them.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:54 pm

I ran out of waking hours by the time I got home last night but I don't have to be up at 4 am tomorrow so I'll look tonight. If I already tossed the dipstick I have a better option for you. Toyota specs a locking dipstick and I have a spare that I won't be using. I also have the extra deep pan and filter adapter for the trans too if you want it.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:03 pm

White trash wrote:I ran out of waking hours by the time I got home last night but I don't have to be up at 4 am tomorrow so I'll look tonight. If I already tossed the dipstick I have a better option for you. Toyota specs a locking dipstick and I have a spare that I won't be using. I also have the extra deep pan and filter adapter for the trans too if you want it.

That would be cool - I may need that other option anyway. Got the dipstick tube today and it is way too short. Think it's probably off a 2wd model or something. I'll do some measuring and see if the deeper pan will work - I think it's already a tight fit with the normal pan.

ETA: Looks like I might need to get an XJ throttle cable as well. Unless there's a good way to splice/connect cables. On the 32RH there's a bracket the cable bolts to and the end snaps onto a lever. The AW4 just seems to be a cable.

AW4 Throttle Cable:

Close:

32RH:

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:11 pm

The aw4 bracket is generic later model gm. Go to any parts store and they'll have an adjustable bracket for that black plastic piece to snap into. The cable attaches to a pin that looks like the Jews of q nail. Easy to replicate. :wink:

I just walked in the door, I'll go take a gander for the parts for you.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Got in a new flexplate, TCU, and the harness connections for it.

AW4 is all bolted up to the jeep (with grade 5 bolts and a bunch of washers) until I can get new ones.

Playing with different ways to make a trans mount and new exhaust hanger. Also have everything I need to complete the new harness. Should hopefully get that finished in the next couple of days.

T-Case is clocked - gonna bolt it up this evening, attach my shiney new adjustable upper rear control arms, and take final measurements for a new drive shaft.

Assuming everything works as it should, and I can get the axles re-geared in time FYBR may not be out of the question.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:16 pm

The factory trans mount is a generic GM car unit. Most auto parts places has them in urethane in stock.

I found the upper half of the xj dipstick I didn't think I had if for some reason you still need it.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:27 pm

White trash wrote:The factory trans mount is a generic GM car unit. Most auto parts places has them in urethane in stock.

Good to know - looks like the 32RH mount won't even bolt up. Everyone else that has done this had an AX-15 with the same mount bolt pattern.

White trash wrote:I found the upper half of the xj dipstick I didn't think I had if for some reason you still need it.

I think I may need it. The Toyota pan has the stick on the opposite side and I'm not sure if it'l fit. Now that the trans is in place I'll check it out.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Yea I totally forgot about the difference in side the dipstick is mounted on. I always use a yota pan on a yota not on a Jeep so I don't have these issues. :lol:

Personally I'd use the yota pan with the Jeep dipstick tube welded on the correct side. I'd also run the yota dipstick and tube end so it is a better design. :D

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Anyone here have a 2001 TJ FSM? I've only got a 2000 and there seem to be some wiring color differences.

Looking for the "Sensor Ground" wire - should be pin A4 on the black PCM plug. 2000 manual says the wire should be Brown/Yellow - while on my TJ it's Black/Light Blue.

Page 80W-80-30 in the manual:

This is the last wire I have to splice - and it is annoying. :lol:

Probably have to call the dealership tomorrow, but thought I'd ask just in case.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:04 pm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/doing ... st12379086

Got it figured out and most of the wiring is done. Unfortunately my air tank has to go... No more room with the longer transmission. I might be able to move it further back, we'll see.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

T-Case installed. Rear upper adjustable control arms installed. Wiring harness completed. Looks like my novak t-case cable shifter is long enough to work as is.

Transmission mount should get here tomorrow, local napa had to have it delivered. Gonna order a new rear driveshaft, SYE, and some shifter bracket thingies tomorrow. Also need to get coolant lines plumbed in. If everything continues to go smoothly it might be ready for a test drive next week. :shock:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:59 am

That's GREAT!! Keep it up!

I'm not so bright

Postby I'm not so bright » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:43 am

mattawajeep wrote:T-Case installed. Rear upper adjustable control arms installed. Wiring harness completed. Looks like my novak t-case cable shifter is long enough to work as is.

Transmission mount should get here tomorrow, local napa had to have it delivered. Gonna order a new rear driveshaft, SYE, and some shifter bracket thingies tomorrow. Also need to get coolant lines plumbed in. If everything continues to go smoothly it might be ready for a test drive next week. :shock:

If your going to put a SYE on you might as well pull the Tcase back out!
Take a look @ Advanced Adapters Install procedure.

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/231sye/1.php

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:44 am

Did the trans come with the fittings for both cooling lines? Only one is in the pics. I have the jeep ones somewhere if you need them. :D

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”