2001 TJ 32RH to AW4 Swap

Post pics and info of your current projects.
TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:14 am

propane addiction wrote:If your going to put a SYE on you might as well pull the Tcase back out!
Take a look @ Advanced Adapters Install procedure.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/231sye/1.php

Definately easier to do on a bench, but I did mine while in the Jeep with the back end lifted way up. The hardest thing was getting the stupid snap ring off. I bent a couple cheapo snap ring pliers until I broke down and bought a good one from the Matco tool man. You can see them next to my shafts in the pic. You are welcome to borrow them if you need to.

And be very careful putting the oil pump back in. The pick up tube connection is very fragile. It's a PITA to get the tube back in. I broke mine and had to wait a week until the replacement came.

Looking good Dale, can't wait to see the finished product.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:20 am

propane addiction wrote:If your going to put a SYE on you might as well pull the Tcase back out!
Take a look @ Advanced Adapters Install procedure.

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/231sye/1.php

Thanks for the link, that write-up seems very detailed. The T-Case will be coming back out, I just had to put it in to check fit with the skid, and to take the measurements for the driveshaft.

White Trash wrote:Did the trans come with the fittings for both cooling lines? Only one is in the pics. I have the jeep ones somewhere if you need them.

Actually it didn't come with either. Thought I would find something at the hardware store - but actual jeep fittings might be easier. I'll see if I can make it into tri-cities some time this week to return the Toyota pan (wont fit with the stick on that side - and welding would be very difficult with that slant on the pass side) and maybe pick those fittings up.

TJDave wrote:Definately easier to do on a bench, but I did mine while in the Jeep with the back end lifted way up. The hardest thing was getting the stupid snap ring off. I bent a couple cheapo snap ring pliers until I broke down and bought a good one from the Matco tool man. You can see them next to my shafts in the pic. You are welcome to borrow them if you need to.

I may have to take you up on that. Snap ring pliers are not a tool I have around the house.

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 am

Groovy, I'll dig them out today. If I remember right they are metric into the trans and sae for 3/8" steel line on the other end. I know I have the Toyota version but they are metric on both ends.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Super Short SYE Install Writeup:

:insulte

Yay!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Where's our like button? :P
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:28 pm

That is super short. Shorter than mine anyway. :D
That will help with the driveline angle. 8)
Mine is pretty steep after the tummy tuck. I am still fighting a slight vibration when climbing hills. :(

I heard something about the super short SYE and having to do something different to get your speedo to work. What's that about?
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:55 pm

TJDave wrote:That is super short. Shorter than mine anyway. :D
That will help with the driveline angle. 8)
Mine is pretty steep after the tummy tuck. I am still fighting a slight vibration when climbing hills. :(

I heard something about the super short SYE and having to do something different to get your speedo to work. What's that about?

With the AW4 being longer this was really needed, especially when I get the money to get a new skid plate. The new speedo sensor plugs into the stock harness, but it needs to be taken to a dealer to adjust for tire size. The other option is to buy an inline calibration unit, Dakota digital has one for 80 bucks.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Been working on the jeep all day long....

Got most everything ready to go. Wiring harness, shift cables, computer, and all the little stuff is installed and hopefully working. Need to do a bit of welding and cutting on the transmission mount tomorrow morning - but after that all I have left is to run the cooling lines.

WT - don't worry about those fittings - I found some online that should be here on tuesday next week.

Getting the lines installed will be a piece of cake, as I'm only waiting on fittings. The jeep should be driveable on tuesday (in 2wd - I have my new rear driveshaft but still need to figure out something for the front).

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:13 pm

This is pretty awesome. . .you could rock some low axle gears with the OD. . .

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:24 pm

OldGreen wrote:This is pretty awesome. . .you could rock some low axle gears with the OD. . .

Yup, lowest I can go with the Dana 30 is 4.88 - but that's fine as that's pretty dang close to stock.

I have a set of 4.88 Yukon Gears and master install kits for my 30 & 44 plus the 44 ARB I picked up from you. I just need to find someone to set them up for me. Gonna call Mireless Auto on monday and see if they will do an install with a used locker - otherwise I'll be shopping around or begging someone in the club to help me get them installed.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Romero is a good guy, he'll do your gears up no problem and do a damned fine job too. I used to deal with him when I used to slang parts at napa in Prosser and he never had a customer say a bad word about his work. He put gears in a couple friends rigs too.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:53 pm

White trash wrote:Romero is a good guy, he'll do your gears up no problem and do a damned fine job too. I used to deal with him when I used to slang parts at napa in Prosser and he never had a customer say a bad word about his work. He put gears in a couple friends rigs too.

Seems like a nice guy, just got off the phone, and he doesn't have any problem doing the install with the used ARB. Prices ain't bad either.

I just need to decide if I should wait until I can afford to buy an ARB for the 30 or just get them done now with only a locker in the rear. Think I need to sell off some junk.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Ooh, overdrive....

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Is it alive?

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:02 pm

OldGreen wrote:Is it alive?

I hope so. Everything checks out without actually starting the vehicle. Last thing to do is add the torque convertor bolts (won't have those until tomorrow) and then the starter. Adding the plate with overdrive on it just seemed to be a significant step....

Right now I'm just adding the finishing touches and fixing "trail fixes" and previous last minute additions that should never have become permanent.

Should only take about 15 mins to get it running once I have the parts....

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:42 pm

It lives!!!

Started right up. Only 1 error code (and one I was expecting), for the old torque converter lockup solenoid. That will be fixed as soon as the resistor I ordered a week ago gets here...

Drives good, though it isn't shifting into 3rd gear until around 3200 rpms. Hopefully that will be fixed when I install my speedometer calibrator (currently sitting on the kitchen table). There's a few things I want to clean up, and the reverse lights need figuring - but other than that it should be good to go.

Gonna try and get the new gears installed next week, and pick up a new front drive shaft. Think this thing will be ready for the FYBR.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Nice work!

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Here's a few pictures just cause.

Custom Trans Mount (it's ugly, I know, but it works).

New Control Arms:

Tom Woods Drive Shaft (and horrible mess caused by the grease packed on the joints I didn't wipe completely up :roll: ):

Various pic of getting the the TCU, Trans, and TJ all hooked together:

And something else I got installed while waiting for various parts:

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:29 am

Wow! 8) Nice job on the swap.

Love the control arms with double ends. Who makes those? You will not have to remove an end to adjust those right? That will come in handy.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:27 am

TJDave wrote:Wow! 8) Nice job on the swap.

Love the control arms with double ends. Who makes those? You will not have to remove an end to adjust those right? That will come in handy.

They're Rokmen. I believe that currie also makes similar arms. And they are very easy to adjust - no taking anything apart - just twist them.

After driving the jeep the pinion ended up changing angle a bit so it will be handy, they need a slight bit of adjustment and then it will be perfect.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:41 am

Who do you guys go to for driveline work? Did a bit of research and found it might be cheaper to have my front one rebuilt instead of buying a new one.

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:53 am

By rebuilt you mean lengthened or like rebuilt with new parts? 6 states will do either but if you just want it lengthened take it to grandview machine in grandview. They are a farm shop that knows how to build a propeller shaft. It's the only place I use. About half price of 6 states too. :wink:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:00 am

White trash wrote:By rebuilt you mean lengthened or like rebuilt with new parts? 6 states will do either but if you just want it lengthened take it to grandview machine in grandview. They are a farm shop that knows how to build a propeller shaft. It's the only place I use. About half price of 6 states too. :wink:

Lengthen - I'm heading to prosser now to pick up my jeep - I'll stop by the grandview shop and see what they can do for me. Knew about six states, half the price of them would be great. Thanks!

colemancooler

Postby colemancooler » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:06 am

Very nice! clean wiring job as well
shindig wheelers #36

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:22 am

We should start a preferred local vendor's list as a sticky on the top of this forum.

Six States thinks that they have the market cornered on drive line work. . .

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”