Cherokee Roof Basket

Post pics and info of your current projects.
SquirrelCrusher

Cherokee Roof Basket

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:09 pm

I decided to build a roof basket awhile back and finally got it mounted to the jeep. I'd take pictures, but posting them is still a mystery to me. :x

The basket is made from 3/4" square tubing and measures roughly 73" long by 49" wide by 4" tall

To mount it on the jeep I used JCR Off-road roof gutter brackets. Reviews on the internet said the mounts were good, but suggested getting 6 instead of 4 so that weight is distributed better.

The basket looks pretty good for my first attempt at making something like this. Its not totally straight, but its close enough. I bought a 6in chop saw from harbor freight to do the angle cuts I needed and the saw worked suprisingly well. The angles aren't perfect, but I think that is more my fault than the saws.

Total cost for materials was around $110 with the mounts being $65 if that.`

Not sure on the weight of the basket, next time I have it off I'll try weighing it. But I put it up on the roof myself. It is more awkward than heavy.

Right now the rack is still bare metal, but I'm moving to Goldendale this week and plan on using the rack so painting will have to wait. I'm just going to sand it down and hit it will a couple coats of black spray paint I think.

On the test drive with the basket on, at around 50 mph, I started hearing a howling noise. Nothing major, but definaltly new. I'm planning on making a front air dam for it that will hopefully help with the howling.
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”