Tool truck project

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 am

I just thought I would throw out some details of my experience with this truck over the last year.

Injector pump timing:
No gains to be made there, with either fuel mileage or power. Advancing increases the noise/rattle and increases bearing wear (confirmed by oil analysis), and retarding shoots the EGT too high.

Injector pump max fuel adj:
Didnt notice much, but there was slight improvement in power. Fuel efficiency dropped slightly, also.

Transmission:
I have concluded that the torque converter is the culprit to the higher engine RPM's and the problems shifting. Stock TV cable adjustment settings are best. I have found a torque converter for this transmission from BD, but the bolt pattern is listed as "Dodge" pattern. If anyone has any info (or reference material that shows) that this is the same bolt pattern as the Isuzu 6bg1t, I would appreciate it.

And last, but not least, a very strange issue that I thought sharing would help someone else diagnose without spending several hours figuring out.
(terms listed for search engine tags) Isuzu NRR 6bg1t or 6bg1 engine fails to shut down with key turned off:

In a nutshell: when you turn the key OFF, it disconnects the 12v system from the battery, yet the fuel shutoff valve requires power to run the little electric motor to cycle the valve OFF. The power used to run this motor comes from the alternator output circuit (which is disconnected from the battery when the key is OFF). So....if your alternator is bad, the engine will not shut down. Oh, the hours I spent disassembling the dash to test all the little components in the fuel shutoff circuit....

:x

On the bright side, this alternator is very stout. It has over 250k miles on it and the bearings and (steel-looking) armature are in excellent condition. It also uses VERY long brushes, so they last a very long time. The brushes (installed by SAS) cost less than $50.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:48 am

i have a dodge torque converter if your have the measurements from the isuzu one, ill see what i can find here at work

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:41 pm

OK, time for an upgrade. Coming soon, to an RV near you! :

2010 GMC Savanna cab 'n chassis, 16ft box, 6.0 gas, 6-speed auto.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Nice, good for you.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:30 pm

Looks nice!!
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:50 am

That's cool....
Forget your age and live your life!

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun May 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Put the new truck on the scale yesterday.

Fully loaded, she weighs 3100 pounds LESS than the old truck did (fully loaded), even with more inventory on board.

:D
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » Sun May 11, 2014 6:50 pm

VERY COOL. GOOD TO SEE EVERYTHING DOING GOOD.
HE TOOK THE BYPASS?? YEAH ITS A JEEP THING.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun May 11, 2014 11:23 pm

What? No more 4mpg? :lol:

Looks good.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon May 12, 2014 6:49 am

I think I may have to regear the rear axle. :?

This truck is not quite what I was expected. This 6.0 has variable cam timing (RPO code L96), which GM seems to have installed to "make up" for the larger intake they installed on this engine. It seems down on power in the lower revs than the older 6.0's. Also, the 6-speed transmission has double-overdrives (5th and 6th gear), so she is pulling about 2200 rpm at 70mph. The combo does not work real well for a truck that is over 11k lbs. :?

I hear a tune will do wonders with engine, since the trans is completely electronically controlled, and so is the cam timing. Just not sure whether I should go with a setup like HP Tuners or just buy a canned tune. Dale, have any insight on tuning hardware/software?
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon May 12, 2014 8:21 am

Wrench wrote:I hear a tune will do wonders with engine, since the trans is completely electronically controlled, and so is the cam timing. Just not sure whether I should go with a setup like HP Tuners or just buy a canned tune. Dale, have any insight on tuning hardware/software?

It's been a very long time since I've looked at software tuners and things have changed. It looks like HP Tuners will do just about everything, including your truck, but it's not cheap. A lot of this stuff used to be free, but it seems like the free stuff hasn't kept up with the new models.

Is there anyplace in tri-cities that does dyno tuning? You'd probably get the best tune that way with a minimum of effort, and actual numbers makes things easier feeling it. Of course that may not be as fun as tuning it yourself on the fly.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”