One piece axle swap in vacuum disconnect D30

Post pics and info of your current projects.
commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

One piece axle swap in vacuum disconnect D30

Postby commando14 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:01 pm

The early XJ's and YJ's came with the vacuum disconnect D30 with a two piece axle on the passenger side with the smaller 260 u-joints. Those with ABS or 242 transfer cases had the one piece axles with the larger 297 u-joints. .. around '91 they switched all of them to the one piece setup. The two piece axles only came with the 260 u-joints so it's a good idea to upgrade to a one piece shaft with the larger 297 u-joint.

My MJ had the vacuum disconnect housing with the two piece axle and I've been wanting to swap in a one piece axle with the larger u-joints. But on the two piece axle the seal is in the vacuum disconnect housing.. the one piece axle requires buying a specific seal, pulling the carrier out and installing the seal in the axle tube next to the carrier. I had my carrier out anyways so I bought one of the seals that's supposed to work and tried to seat it in the tube.. but the axle tube is not machined for a seal on the passenger side. I dremmeled it out a bit but had problems getting the seal in straight and ended up destroying the seal.

My dad came up with another idea.. he had some sleeves machined that slip over the one piece axle and fit the existing vacuum disconnect seal. I used some Permatex cold weld to glue the sleeve on the one piece axle, slid the axle in and done. This would be an easy way to upgrade to the one piece axle without having to pull the carrier and install a new seal.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm impressed!
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Brilliant! I have an old vacume disco HP30 I was going to swap into the TJ.

After reading about this very problem, I shelved that idea last spring.

Great idea! 8)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Great idea!

Who did the machining? How much? I plan to do this myself.

I am planning on using Permatex Right Stuff to hold it in place, though. Strong enough to seal and hold, weak enough to remove and reinstall on a new shaft if needed.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:54 pm

So with a lunch box type locker you'd be full time 4 wheel as soon as you locked up, right? U'd just about have to use an air locker with that setup.
Forget your age and live your life!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 am

Orville has a non-disco front and a lunchbox. . .It works just fine. Better than that. . .you don't even have to think about it.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Wrench wrote:Great idea!

Who did the machining? How much? I plan to do this myself.

I am planning on using Permatex Right Stuff to hold it in place, though. Strong enough to seal and hold, weak enough to remove and reinstall on a new shaft if needed.

Not sure who did the machining, someone my dad knows... he got 10 of them made and it costs around $30 a piece I believe... let me know if you want one one of these you can have it for the $30 bucks. I guess it was a special size piece of pipe that had to be ordered to make them. Plan on trying to sell a few on Jeeps Unlimited or some of the other big forums for $40 or so... will see if there's any interest.

The Right Stuff would probably work... shouldn't take much to hold it in place.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 am

Dave, I may have to have one of those....the less I have to think the better, U know....being ole gummer and all! :cry

BTW, have your dad bring one of his Warn remote controls to the meeting for the swap we've talked about.

DefiantSD

Postby DefiantSD » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:06 am

thats awesome! so then does that mean you were able to do away with the vacume?

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 am

DefiantSD wrote:thats awesome! so then does that mean you were able to do away with the vacume?

Yea, actually I did away with the vacuum part years ago by locking the vacuum actuator arm thingy in the enganged position.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 am

commando14 wrote: Yea, actually I did away with the vacuum part years ago by locking the vacuum actuator arm thingy in the enganged position.

One well placed rock?

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Roman wrote:
commando14 wrote: Yea, actually I did away with the vacuum part years ago by locking the vacuum actuator arm thingy in the enganged position.

One well placed rock?

Loves me all the tech talk....actuator arm "thingy" and "rock". And I'm supposed to learn something from you guys??? ::please

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”