Bedning tube

Post pics and info of your current projects.
SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Bedning tube

Postby SPR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Right or wrong, I've been cutting, bending, and grinding and grinding and grinding tube for a revised roll cage on my rotten truck. Take a peek and flame on. Does it flex over the cab? a little... the last picture is what I'm thinking of doing to strengthen the hoop behind the ImageImagecab.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Looks like a good start. I'd plate top and bottom at the junction of those top tubes. You're adding in an X behind the cab and tying it into the frame right? You'd be ahead to beef up that runner "roll bar" too. They aren't known to be the strongest thing out there.

Are you going to tie that cab hoop into the sliders through the fenders or?

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks WT for the comments. The tool box that I installed in the bed of the truck prevents me from doing the big X brace. I marked on this picture with red lines of how I'm thinking of bracing it.

The lower legs of the main hoop (1.75x.120) are lined with 1.5x.120 tube up to the first bend. Maybe if I use a piece of 1.75x.140 tube to make the horizontal connection between the two lower legs that will be strong enough :?:

I would rather not put braces from the hoop over the cab to the cowl. That is getting to look too much like an exocage. I know the consequences of not doing this.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:26 am

I understand your concern. . .but let's be honest.

It already looks like an exo-cage so you might as well go past the tip. . . :lol:

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 am

Better rethink that design if you want to have any strength. All you are building is a glorified ladder rack.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Glorified ladder rack!!

I know you’re right. However, I would like to call it an adventure rack.

I got a plan for A pillars.

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:45 am

You have the beginnings of a nice functional cage. Don't stop short and leave it weak. Move the tool box back to allow the proper (ie SAFE) x to be added and then tie it into the frame.

I have always been a fan of a roof bar leading through the cab into an a pillar to the floor. Keeps the headroom and saves the roof from leaning on trees.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 am

Steve. . .that is a classic picture. LOVE!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 am

Screaming Toylet wrote:Glorified ladder rack!!

I know you’re right. However, I would like to call it an adventure rack.

I got a plan for A pillars.

Fixed it for you. :-)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Gees, I my neighbor (ex CBC welding instructor) came over to check out my booger welds. He said that I put too much weld on (probably didn't need to run double beads) but everything looks fine enough. He did suggest that next time I bring it to his shop and he will TIG weld for me :shock: Now I'm a little bummed.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”