STAGE ONE!!!! Duel Projects??? The build begins...

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Livin4Today

STAGE ONE!!!! Duel Projects??? The build begins...

Postby Livin4Today » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Lift Kits are on their way and should be here Friday. So I need to know who might be willing to guide to or lend me a pitman arm puller. I'm hoping (probably out of my mind) to show up at the meeting/bbq with both rigs a couple inches taller... 8)

The current Plan is starting on the JK Friday afternoon evening, and catching the TJ Saturday, if any of you are lacking entertainment or just likes to hear an old guy swear, come on over, I am always open to assistants.... :lol:
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Ace_Cherokee

Re: STAGE ONE!!!! Duel Projects??? The build begins...

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:34 pm

JK Lance wrote:if any of you are lacking entertainment or just likes to hear an old guy swear, come on over, I am always open to assistants.... :lol:

Sounds fun to me!
Working on your rig is like a really great date: you start out expecting it to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you ever wanted.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:35 pm

You can rent most tools (like a pitman arm puller) from Autozone for pretty much free ($5) at the most. They have you buy the rental tool and then refund most, if not all, of your money when you return it in like condition. Just in case... a trick for pitman arm pullers is to tighten them up real good (don't stip out the threads of their cheap puller) and then smack the top of the puller's bolt with a hammer. Most pitman arms need that shock under a load to pop them loose.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:42 pm

SPR wrote:You can rent most tools (like a pitman arm puller) from Autozone for pretty much free ($5) at the most. They have you buy the rental tool and then refund most, if not all, of your money when you return it in like condition. Just in case... a trick for pitman arm pullers is to tighten them up real good (don't stip out the threads of their cheap puller) and then smack the top of the puller's bolt with a hammer. Most pitman arms need that shock under a load to pop them loose.

Yea I rented mine from O'reilly(SP) and they refunded the money even though I returned it a day late.
Working on your rig is like a really great date: you start out expecting it to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you ever wanted.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:06 pm

SPR wrote:You can rent most tools (like a pitman arm puller) from Autozone for pretty much free ($5) at the most. They have you buy the rental tool and then refund most, if not all, of your money when you return it in like condition. Just in case... a trick for pitman arm pullers is to tighten them up real good (don't stip out the threads of their cheap puller) and then smack the top of the puller's bolt with a hammer. Most pitman arms need that shock under a load to pop them loose.

Not only that, that is how they are made. The only one that I know of that you can just go to town with an impact gun on are made by OTC. I'd offer mine up, but it is locked up in toby's shop. . . :lol:

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:29 pm

While I'm replacing springs the kid across the street has a cherokee (xj?) whose springs are shot due to the previous owner launching the rig off a ledge...

Any chance my springs or Tara's springs could help him out in the front? Meaning will either or any of them fit to get him back to a regular ride height?

I told him I'd ask around...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 pm

I think I have some stock Cherokee springs. Tara's springs are too short and yours are different.

I will check.when I get home.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 pm

OldGreen wrote:I think I have some stock Cherokee springs. Tara's springs are too short and yours are different.

I will check.when I get home.

Many thanks sir!
Lance

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:33 pm

I got the goods!

Tell him I also have a set of MOUNTAIN RIDER gas shocks for it for.$50. The springs are on me. His shocks are most likely blown if the front is sagging that bad.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:58 am

OldGreen wrote:I got the goods!

Tell him I also have a set of MOUNTAIN RIDER gas shocks for it for.$50. The springs are on me. His shocks are most likely blown if the front is sagging that bad.

I'll pass it on today, I know he's hurtin' for money waiting for his curbing work to pick-up or his IRS check to show up. But will see what he says.
Lance

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:00 am

Either way, he can have the springs. . .free free free!!! and, they are in perfect shape.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 am

I am not sure about JK's, or if you need the pitman arm puller for the TJ lift.

But, a lot of TJ lifts come with a dropped pitman arm and they are not needed. Many have installed them, only to get serious bump steer, then ended up putting the stock one back on.

The drag link needs to stay parallel to the angle of the front track bar.

Mine had a total of 4.5" of lift before I recently swapped out the spacers up front. I have had the stock pitman arm the whole time, and have never had any bump steer issues, or full blown death wobble.

Not sure if you need it for the JK, just throwing a FYI out there for the TJ.

Can't wait to see pics of the Jeep/s transformations.

Fun isn't it? :D
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:58 am

TJDave wrote:I am not sure about JK's, or if you need the pitman arm puller for the TJ lift.

But, a lot of TJ lifts come with a dropped pitman arm and they are not needed. Many have installed them, only to get serious bump steer, then ended up putting the stock one back on.

The drag link needs to stay parallel to the angle of the front track bar.

Mine had a total of 4.5" of lift before I recently swapped out the spacers up front. I have had the stock pitman arm the whole time, and have never had any bump steer issues, or full blown death wobble.

Not sure if you need it for the JK, just throwing a FYI out there for the TJ.

Can't wait to see pics of the Jeep/s transformations.

Fun isn't it? :D

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind as I do both rigs, measure/eyeball first! Then decide if the newer is necessary or not, I'll probably put it on the JK, it's running to Seattle on Sunday, hate to find out I made the wrong decision with that trip looming...

I'm pressing to have them done for the meeting/bbq, so folks can see them in person, but we'll obviously have pictures too.
Lance

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 am

ON a 5 link front end, you should only change the pitman arm if you lower the mounting point of the track bar. /end/

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 am

Here's what we are putting on Friday & Saturday...

A 3.5" on the JK & 4" on the TJ

Image Image

And these sliders...

Lance

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 am

wow I like the Side Armor

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:12 am

Ace_Cherokee wrote:wow I like the Side Armor

Yeah, we were looking for something stout as we already know we tear stuff up... (Tara destroyed her nerf bars, and I decimated my right step rail & fender) We're hoping these will help us to not trash anything else...
Lance

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 am

JK Lance wrote:
Ace_Cherokee wrote:wow I like the Side Armor

Yeah, we were looking for something stout as we already know we tear stuff up... (Tara destroyed her nerf bars, and I decimated my right step rail & fender) We're hoping these will help us to not trash anything else...

Oh I remember reading about that! Glad you didnt get pissed off and decide to quit wheeling when you broke something.
I have seen that happen before..

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 am

Ace_Cherokee wrote:Oh I remember reading about that! Glad you didnt get pissed off and decide to quit wheeling when you broke something.

Not us, we're into these gems for life, in fact we hope to incoporate them, or some like these into a cool retirement gig! I'll tell you about it Friday...

8)
Lance

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 am

JK Lance wrote:
Ace_Cherokee wrote:Oh I remember reading about that! Glad you didnt get pissed off and decide to quit wheeling when you broke something.

Not us, we're into these gems for life, in fact we hope to incoporate them, or some like these into a cool retirement gig! I'll tell you about it Friday...

8)

That will be great!

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Second on the drop pitman arm for the TJ. Don't bother with it under a 6" lift.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Lud wrote:Second on the drop pitman arm for the TJ. Don't bother with it under a 6" lift.

OK leave the TJ pitman alone, got it.... So Toby thoughts on the JK pitman? And while we're at it, i Seafoamed the intake tonight, great smoke show and guess what else I found???

Yep both exhaust manifolds are cracked... There's another $3-400 for shorty headers, or I could just buy replacements for half that, but are they just going to crack again??? Again any thoughts???
Last edited by Livin4Today on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

rennat_2006

Postby rennat_2006 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Ive got a cheap'o pitman arm puller that you can borrow if you end up needing one.
2000 Zr2 Blazer with HP Dana 44. 4.88's, 36's, Beadlocks, Welded rear, SYE, CV driveshafts...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:14 am

Mine is locked up.....I asked Toby about it.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:26 am

OldGreen wrote:Mine is locked up.....I asked Toby about it.

I can get one down the street at O'Reilly's for $13.50 that I get back upon return...
Lance

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”