STAGE ONE!!!! Duel Projects??? The build begins...

Post pics and info of your current projects.
OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:53 am

Do it!!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Saw the JK. Looks good. Two words:

Wheel spacers.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:55 pm

OldGreen wrote:Saw the JK. Looks good. Two words:

Wheel spacers.

Not doing spacers if I can avoid it... We'll be working on finding the right 15x8 rim with the right amount of backspacing... Everything I've read suggest 4.5 for 35s... Then finding the tires and gears to turn them, then fenders oh it never ends...

But at least it will take a lot deeper snow to snag me now...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:11 am

JK Lance wrote:
OldGreen wrote:Saw the JK. Looks good. Two words:

Wheel spacers.

Not doing spacers if I can avoid it... We'll be working on finding the right 15x8 rim with the right amount of backspacing... Everything I've read suggest 4.5 for 35s... Then finding the tires and gears to turn them, then fenders oh it never ends...

But at least it will take a lot deeper snow to snag me now...

Nothing wrong with spacers... Why do you want to put 15" rims on a 5000lb rig that spends the majority of it's time on the road? And why are you worried about fenders with 35's?

And, unless you have already upsized tires, you are still every bit the snow anchor you were before the lift... Perhaps even moreso thanks to the outriggers, err, nerf steps, you have shown...:wink:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:18 am

I wouldn't recomend running spacers. They have a tendency to work theyre way loose. It also puts extra stress on bearings, wheel studs, axles, etc. Most reputable tire shops won't install then for liability reasons. If you are runing them off road and check them regularly to make sure they stay torqued down they your fine.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:29 am

Lurch wrote:I wouldn't recomend running spacers. They have a tendency to work theyre way loose. It also puts extra stress on bearings, wheel studs, axles, etc. Most reputable tire shops won't install then for liability reasons. If you are runing them off road and check them regularly to make sure they stay torqued down they your fine.

They don't put any more stress on components than wheels with shallower backspacing. A little blue loctite and done. . .

Moot point though. . .since he's got his heart set on 15s. . .still with the backspacing though.

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:17 am

OldGreen wrote:
Lurch wrote:I wouldn't recomend running spacers. They have a tendency to work theyre way loose. It also puts extra stress on bearings, wheel studs, axles, etc. Most reputable tire shops won't install then for liability reasons. If you are runing them off road and check them regularly to make sure they stay torqued down they your fine.

They don't put any more stress on components than wheels with shallower backspacing. A little blue loctite and done. . .

Moot point though. . .since he's got his heart set on 15s. . .still with the backspacing though.

I prefer red loctite and the use of et style lugnuts to hold the spacers on. Ran that on the yota with 38's and 42's never had anything come loose.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 am

White trash wrote:
OldGreen wrote:

I prefer red loctite and the use of et style lugnuts to hold the spacers on. Ran that on the yota with 38's and 42's never had anything come loose.

Yep. . .that would certainly work. :D

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:40 am

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:57 am

I actually found one attached to a trailer down south, with a 3.73 posi, I just need to find $$350 to go grab it... Then swap out that axle for a straight axle and then plan the swap under hers...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Hey Lance, that kid across the street, does he still have the shot cherokee spings? They may be shot for a cherokee but I'm looking to find a set for Andy (Tenikiwon) to mock up on the front end of his Samurai. He's going to a 4 link.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:21 am

Lud wrote:Hey Lance, that kid across the street, does he still have the shot cherokee spings? They may be shot for a cherokee but I'm looking to find a set for Andy (Tenikiwon) to mock up on the front end of his Samurai. He's going to a 4 link.

Yep, still has them, I don't think he's had the time to swap yet though... I also have both mine and Tara's stockers available...
Lance

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:25 am

Let me know when/if I can have any of them. Just need fronts.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”