2007 JK Unlimited Saharicon... (aka Julia)

Post pics and info of your current projects.
79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:22 am

the first one..the black one.....most excellent

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:22 am

The bling grille was not on my radar but the kid wanted black so I figured why not, it just adds contrast to my black. In reference to a cage, that is on my radar, and will hopefully be handled pre-Rubicon, along with the rear axle locker upgrade...

I appreciate the comps however back handed they might be, with only one caveat... Hummer? Should NEVER be allowed as a comparable to Julia, unless you are referring to the H1 milspec, all the others don't rate in my mind...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:26 am

the 5.3 v8 h3's are fun

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:57 am

The JK-U was built to be marketed to the same demographic as the H3. The good news is that Jeep kept an eye on the enthusiast market.

And, yes, The H3 Alpha is a HOOT. . .

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:00 am

Well another weekend of excellent wheeling as you'll soon read about this evening, you should've been there. Mandi's wheelin' creds may now dwarf many of your own... LOL

Anyway more of that later, the next step in our JKU build, is better traction in the rear. Of course we would love to go full bull and get right to the winning touchdown and have plans for an ARB w/35 Spline T300 axles for that bullet proof feeling...

However, it ain't in the cards just yet, and it seems our daytrip to Slab, shared with us yet another weakness that needed to be fixed, that being lack of rear traction and the fact that between Mandi & I we managed to dynamite the rear diff (She was driving it like she stole it...), hastening the need for inexpensive but better parts. And viola! Northridge hooked us up with a Yukon Grizzly Locker and another set of 5.38s, for under a grand.

Now before anybody get carried away on choices, know this

1. D44 carrier/case cracked
2. 5.38 R & P toast
3. Spiders mangled/decimated

So as I sought out refixments... I found that just replacing what she (er umm we) broke, only saved me $100 and didn't add to traction. So we've have rooted out another of the OEM weaknesses, best part is there will be a set-up Grizzly Locker available in the future along with spare axle shafts for some lucky JK owner, when we get to do our bullet proof build...

Stay tuned for pics and vids in the Recent Run section of our Slab adventure...

Being good stewards, we captured all fluids and transported it home for disposal...

Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:40 am

JK Lance wrote:Image

Wow... I'm a pharmer and consider myself rather proficient with a Hi Lift jack, but words cannot express how uncomfortable that picture makes me... For the love of all that is wholly, PUT YOUR SPARE TIRE(S) UNDER YOUR RIG WHEN WORKING UNDER A JACK!!! I've seen more jacks sway, wobble, and/or just flat fail (ditto for vehicle jacking points, btw) more times than I care to recall. Just my free advise, take it for what you paid...
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:57 am

tobyw wrote:Wow... I'm a pharmer and consider myself rather proficient with a Hi Lift jack, but words cannot express how uncomfortable that picture makes me... For the love of all that is wholly, PUT YOUR SPARE TIRE(S) UNDER YOUR RIG WHEN WORKING UNDER A JACK!!! I've seen more jacks sway, wobble, and/or just flat fail (ditto for vehicle jacking points, btw) more times than I care to recall. Just my free advise, take it for what you paid...

Jack points are cutouts in the bumper, hi-lifts are newer, and we had no sway issues, we placed a jeep squash going on both sides, but i get your point from this angle it looks dicey...
Last edited by Livin4Today on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:47 pm

You sure break a lot of stuff. :)

I guess if I wheeled more, I'd probably break more stuff too. :oops:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:15 pm

TJDave wrote:You sure break a lot of stuff. :)

I guess if I wheeled more, I'd probably break more stuff too. :oops:

Like I said inferior OEM parts... Trying to get them all taken care of before we hit the big trails, ie; Rubicon, Moab and such...

Beside when you work hard (or hardly work whatever), aren't you spozed to play harder? Well that's what I heard somewhere...LOL
Lance

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:48 pm

The stock parts aren't inferior. They were just asked to go beyond their design parameters.

I am not tyoically the "just get 60s and be done with it" guy.......so, well......the shoe fits in this case.

D44 and a grizzly is goooooood.....but not on 37s in a battleship. 35s in a light rig....yes.

And before you start daydreaming about a set of super 35 spline axles please consider how often you want to replace the ring and pinion.....and eventually a cracked pumpkin.

By the way.....it pays for me to promote Yukon. They are a sponsor.....but they would tell you the same thing.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Almost 7000 pound rig, can you say Dana 80.
Only 1/2"'less clearance than a 60, besides it's alway easier to spend someone else's money.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/lancec/dynatrac/index.php
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:15 pm

bobracing wrote:Almost 7000 pound rig, can you say Dana 80.
Only 1/2"'less clearance than a 60, besides it's alway easier to spend someone else's money.

Closer to 5000 lbs...
Lance

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Mine's closer to 5,000. You should run the dump scales at full trail prep load.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 pm

bobracing wrote:Almost 7000 pound rig, can you say Dana 80.

The dana 70 is stronger for most standard uses and a 14 bolt stronger yet and with a bit of grinding on the underbelly they have decent ground clearance too.

The 80 has a large ring gear but the carrier bearings are too close together so they allow the gears to deflect under load. The 10.5" sterling has a very wide spacing and uses big shafts and wheel bearings but the gear and locker ratio availability is limited compared to dana axles.

As an aside my Toyota was over 5k with no interior, less than half the factory sheetmetal and a little 4 cylinder. :lol:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Heck....my xj only weighs 3500 but with fuel, people, dog, and all the gear for the rubicon it was 4600 even across a certified scale.

I bet a JKU on 37s is easily over 6000....maybe even pushing 7000 with tge winches and bumpers and Toyos....

Point is, there is no dana 44 suited for that duty.

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:50 pm

OldGreen wrote:Point is, there is no dana 44 suited for that duty.

Fact. The JK 44 has a better ring gear design than the standard older 44 but neither of which are up to the challenge of a tank even one equipped with a 6 cylinder briggs & stratton. :lol:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:06 pm

So. . .I looked it up. . .similar rig with only a front winch but the same basic armor package is 5600lbs. Add the rear winch bumper and the spare tire to that and you are over 6000. 200lbs of people (cuz Ms. Mandi is a princess) and 100 lbs of dog, plus the cooler and the tools/spares/trail gear. . .

The reality is that the platform is limited by its gigantic size. I personally love them and wish I had three. . .and. . .I could afford to buy one, however, I could not afford to build it to survive me. Not yet anyway. :lol: I figure as I get older, I'll either get smarter or richer. . .maybe both.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Hmmmmm/.....I"m liking the little YJ more and more all the time..Just say'n!!
Forget your age and live your life!

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Well, I guess we'll all live to learn more about my tank, something I'm sure Toby has played with before...
Lance

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 pm

I know it's already been said, but that picture is danged scary, even with bumper cutouts. One tap to one of those high lifts and it's going over. They are not stable at that height, even in pairs. At least do like toby suggested and put your tires under the rig as backup.

I had a friend, who owned a body shop, die a couple years back when his jack slipped. Dying is bad, and very preventable In this instance.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Alright the point is taken, hell I'll even wear a hard hat, safety vest and have 4 spotters next time. Maybe when you see the run pics you'll see more as to how we went about this. I mean if every thing were about dying, wouldn't we all just stay home? Nuf said...
Last edited by Livin4Today on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:54 am

OldGreen wrote: From the "So you want to be a 4 wheeler. . ." thread. Don't ask me how I got here, but I did read it ALL...
http://www.peakputters.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=34584

Spend a few years in the saddle and let the thing evolve under you. You 'll upgrade what you break, learn your limitations, and have a BLAST doing it.

Hmmm, sounds like I'm on the right path to the Holy Grail here...

8)
Lance

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:23 am

JK Lance wrote:
OldGreen wrote: From the "So you want to be a 4 wheeler. . ." thread. Don't ask me how I got here, but I did read it ALL...

Spend a few years in the saddle and let the thing evolve under you. You 'll upgrade what you break, learn your limitations, and have a BLAST doing it.

8)

Keep justifying it in your head, you may actually believe it eventually.

UPGRADE what you break, LEARN YOUR LIMITATIONS.

You did not upgrade, you rubbed some polish on an axle not up to what is being asked of it. As for learning ones limitations I have faith that axle will break again and when that happens where does the blame lie? Can't blame "inferior" factory parts since those are being eliminated so will the blame be put on the driver? Doubtful.

I used to scatter parts till I learned when to let off. Then I got bored and went full retard and breakage stopped. That is how the game is played and what og was referring to. Not polishing a turd till it shines like a diamond yet we all know its just a cubic zirconia. :lol:

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 am

White trash wrote:
JK Lance wrote:

8)

Keep justifying it in your head, you may actually believe it eventually.

UPGRADE what you break, LEARN YOUR LIMITATIONS.

You did not upgrade, you rubbed some polish on an axle not up to what is being asked of it. As for learning ones limitations I have faith that axle will break again and when that happens where does the blame lie? Can't blame "inferior" factory parts since those are being eliminated so will the blame be put on the driver? Doubtful.

I used to scatter parts till I learned when to let off. Then I got bored and went full retard and breakage stopped. That is how the game is played and what og was referring to. Not polishing a turd till it shines like a diamond yet we all know its just a cubic zirconia. :lol:

Close your lid and enjoy your trash...

First I haven't upgraded the rear axle other than a 5.38 R&P, the upgrades will in fact be later in the week. And what if the axle breaks again before I get to my end run I'll deal with that then, it's called learning, but you already knew that...

But as I said once before get a horse in the race if you expect anyone yet to meet you to take your "wisdom" seriously. Otherwise you'll remain taken as that I know it all, just ask me guy the people claim to have met, that allegedly had a wheelin' rig...
:banni

As I said close your lid...
Last edited by Livin4Today on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:04 am

Believe me Lance, Trashy has BTDT more than once, and has the scars to prove it...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”