axle help

Post pics and info of your current projects.
DefiantSD

axle help

Postby DefiantSD » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Hey guys, im going to be starting a huge project this weekend, im going to be fabing a 4 link front n rear with coil shocks, but i have a brand new dana 44 for a JK "Rear" im going to try to convert to a front axle. I have never done this before so any input on the best was to do this would be helpful for the axle, the 4 link i got down ive done it a few times.
93 jeep wrangler YJ
SYE
5.5 ish lift
33 Mickey thompson Baja Claw
Ford 8.8
Tom Woods Drive Shaft w/ CV joint
Sway Bar Disconnects
4:10 gears
roll cage
Tube fenders

tobyw

Re: axle help

Postby tobyw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:31 am

DefiantSD wrote:i have a brand new dana 44 for a JK "Rear" im going to try to convert to a front axle.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I love a good fab project as much as the next guy and have been known to take on a few of those "WTF" projects myself. But, I have to say, this brings to mind the old adage: just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

What's your attraction to the JK D44 as a front axle? Have you got a jig to ensure your tubes are straight when you retube the axle to get the pumpkin offset? What are you going to use for C's and knuckles? Shafts? Bearings? Brakes? You say you've done a couple 4-links in the past: do you have your caster angle figured out so you have a decent baseline to start from? It would really suck to have your caster setup poorly so you have to max out your 4-link adjustment at one end of the range or another, and then end up with scary handling as the suspension cycles...

DefiantSD wrote:so any input on the best was to do this would be helpful for the axle

My input would be to find an actual front axle, perhaps something like a Waggy or Chevy D44. If you're stuck on the JK axles, poke around a bit and find someone selling a Rubi D44 and slap the pair under your rig. The JK forums are littered with people selling Rubi axles as they upgrade to stouter units. Or just find a JK D30 front for even less scratch, and toss in a set of quality chromo shafts or even RCV's.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:08 am

The gentleman speaks the truth...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:20 am

Werd, Toby is 100% right.

The JK 44 has a single advantage over a older 44 and that is the ring and pinion size and design. Make your life easy and find a standard 44 as Toby mentioned then call Carl Jantz at Jantz engineering and he'll hook you up with a jana44 kit that let's you put the JK gears in an older housing.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel...

DefiantSD

Postby DefiantSD » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I love a good fab project as much as the next guy and have been known to take on a few of those "WTF" projects myself. But, I have to say, this brings to mind the old adage: just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

What's your attraction to the JK D44 as a front axle? Have you got a jig to ensure your tubes are straight when you retube the axle to get the pumpkin offset? What are you going to use for C's and knuckles? Shafts? Bearings? Brakes? You say you've done a couple 4-links in the past: do you have your caster angle figured out so you have a decent baseline to start from? It would really suck to have your caster setup poorly so you have to max out your 4-link adjustment at one end of the range or another, and then end up with scary handling as the suspension cycles...

DefiantSD wrote:
so any input on the best was to do this would be helpful for the axle

My input would be to find an actual front axle, perhaps something like a Waggy or Chevy D44. If you're stuck on the JK axles, poke around a bit and find someone selling a Rubi D44 and slap the pair under your rig. The JK forums are littered with people selling Rubi axles as they upgrade to stouter units. Or just find a JK D30 front for even less scratch, and toss in a set of quality chromo shafts or even RCV's.

by no means the front axle was planning on being a over night build, i was more looking for input on a jig, and ensuring how to get it straight. its not really a facination with the JK d44 i have a brand new one just sitting around and i figured if i would just build it to what i want why not?

and the 4 link is no problem, i havent looked into the angles yet but i need to get under the jeep and see what im workin with. ive mostly done them in muscle cars which had less flex but i dont see that as being a huge problem. suspension just needs to be updated its pretty worn ie shocks springs so im ready to put in a 4 link i fabbed up. the biggest thing that gonna cost me on this is the coil shocks.
93 jeep wrangler YJ

SYE

5.5 ish lift

33 Mickey thompson Baja Claw

Ford 8.8

Tom Woods Drive Shaft w/ CV joint

Sway Bar Disconnects

4:10 gears

roll cage

Tube fenders

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”