Grocery Getter v2.0

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:45 am

Tobe, is that rubber gasket under the rocker?

You have any extras fabbed up? I know at least one green XJ that really wishes its owner would put something like this on . . . 8)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:59 am

It's fender welting, sort of a rubbery plastic stuff with about 1" of flat section topped with a 3/16" bead. Perfect for this application, but I originally used it behind the fender flares on the Bronco...

Sorry, these are the only two sets in existence. I bet I know a guy that could whip something up for the aforementioned Green Machine though :wink:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Couple last minute changes before we head out on this years Colorado adventure...

Hood vents from a Chrysler Lebaron. I don't currently have any overheating issues, but it's a well-known fact that XJ's benefit greatly from reduced underhood temps. A few minutes of layout, a quick zip with a skinny wheel, some prep/paint, and we have a path for mucho heat dissapation:

And this one is just for Danny... Relocated the license plate to the lower corner of the swing away, complete with a light:

And finally, one more to completely affirm the mall cred and family wagon status - a bike rack for hauling the kiddos machines to the hills with us:

8)

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Nice work... cool mods.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:08 am

As much as I enjoy spending quality time outdoors just taking in the sights and smells, I don’t always enjoy doing that at the end of a long day on the trail. However, with my little 12v air compressor, that opportunity not only exists but becomes mandatory… To rectify the situation, real on board air is the only option. Since the XJ is a family platform, factory A/C has to remain intact, period. XJ’s do not have a prolific amount of extra room under the hood. In fact, they have almost zero. To squeeze in a second belt-driven compressor, you need to either relocate the battery or the air box. After mocking things up a few different times each way, I finally settled on leaving the battery in the stock location and ditching the factory air box. This not only creates the room needed for the OBA compressor, but gives me the benefit of an upgrade to the air intake via a true cowl induction setup.

Your average Sanden 508 compressor, $25 at the local junkyard:

After finally deciding on the driver-side location, I made some templates:

I got to work sticking the pieces together. Please no comments on the crummy welds, I’m working with what I can scrounge together out here in no-man’s land:

For my masterpiece to bolt up, I welded two bolts to the factory power steering pump bracket:

And here is the bracket installed, ready for the compressor:

Now, I would have much preferred a Sanden with the perpendicular mounting holes, as this would allow for extremely simply mounting to my flat plate. But, I got what I got, so after some fussing around with mounting ears I finally had it cinched down on location and was able to measure for the new belt:

Just need to hit the hardware store for my air fittings and wire in the switch.

For the air intake, I first rotated the factory rubber boot to point over toward the cowl and slipped in a section of 3â€

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:26 am

very nice write up, if i remember correct the sanden does not need to be oiled correct?

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:34 am

My hero! Nice work and nice write-up.

(Let me know if you note an increase in intake noise volume with your cowl intake system. That has been a complaint on the TJ set up. Maybe an excuse for a better stereo or more aggressive tires.)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:24 pm

So let's be honest, the real reason we put aftermarket junk on our junk is for the STICKERS!!

The K&N showed up today, so I welded on the crank breather tube and slapped some black paint on the 3" exhaust pipe. Then, I blinged it out with the sticker 8)

iaccocca wrote:My hero! Nice work and nice write-up.

(Let me know if you note an increase in intake noise volume with your cowl intake system. That has been a complaint on the TJ set up. Maybe an excuse for a better stereo or more aggressive tires.)

I'm happy (sad?) to report that the violent, ear piercing, jump-out-of-your-skin whoooooooooosh from the intake is, quite simply, non-existent. Yes, there is some noise, but certainly nothing like a lot of the cowl intake write-ups I've read about. It goes away completely after about 30-40 seconds of warm up idling, and the only time you hear it is when you accelerate briskly. And when I say hear it, it requires the radio to be off and the windows to be rolled up, and then I would honestly compare it to very low volume radio static that goes away once the engine load decreases. Bottom line, I don't know that it could be heard in an open top Jeep at all??

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:26 pm

So, does this meet specs now, and are you keeping it?
Forget your age and live your life!

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:08 am

Danny, Danny, Danny... Have you learnt nothing over the past 5 years? :lol:

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Jus asskin!

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:26 pm

So..... What yer sayin is, it's forsale... Bwahaha
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 am

Well, we all know Toby, soooooo......

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:05 am

He never pulled the for sale sign from when he bought it :lol:
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Lurch wrote:He never pulled the for sale sign from when he bought it :lol:

OK, that's kinda hurtful... :lol: :oops: :lol:

*Replaces 4-Sale sign so it's not so obvious*

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:17 am

How much for it? :D
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:20 am

Get in line....

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:51 pm

It’s been a while since GGv2.0 received any love to speak of, and after a full season of wheeling in 2012 and a good start to the 2013 season with some high speed antics at the Mint 400, it was time to address some issues. While I have much love for the XJ platform, just like anything else out there, it is far from fault-free straight off the showroom floor. The rear shock mounts are grossly low (although this is a testament to the impressive rear suspension travel, assuming you don’t have tires much larger than the fenders are willing to accept :oops: ), the gearing is very economy oriented (again based on factory tire sizing), and well let’s face it, some things I just can’t leave alone. So, here are some pics to document the start of the 2013 rehash…

The vast majority of XJ’s, mine included, left the factory floor with highway friendly 3.54 gears. Highway friendly with stock 28â€

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 pm

We're you headed from wa back to id 2 oer 3 weeks ago with this in trailer right I saw it being drug begind a suburban

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:35 am

Guilty as charged. Should be finished up here in ID around mid-July. I cannot WAIT to have access to real tools and equipment again!!!

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:16 am

Quick update on the winch mount. Finally got it all finish welded and painted, and then got to work on cutting the bumper for the fairlead. I used some door edge molding to clean up the cutout and help keep the sharp edges from eating my phingers…

With the hard work finished, it was time to address the control box mounting location. As mentioned before, XJ’s are extremely cramped under the hood, and there really isn’t much room to add anything of substantial size. Luckily, with my cowl intake setup, I have a pretty decent void where the factory airbox used to reside, and the winch control box fits in the area quite nicely. I whipped up a little bracket, and the control box will mount to that…

So now it’s just down to wiring and being able to spool the winch rope on 8)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 am

Bless you. . . :lol:

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:18 pm

So, in what may go down in history as one of my top 10 bone head moves of all time, I left the winch remote back in WA when I loaded GGv2.0 back up to bring to ID for the last time a few weeks back :banghead However, thanks to some incredible Google-foo provided by OG, this minor oversite was rather easily rectified. You see, our good friends and Harbor Freight sell a nifty little wireless remote setup for their Badland series of winches, and with just a little modification, these little gems can be adapted to make the mighty Warn roar to life Image

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-winch-remote-control-69229.html

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?202274-20-make-you-holler-Wireless-winch-control-setup-Warn

Now, it's a well known fact that I am an electrical idiot, and this little project did nothing to improve upon my status as such. However, at the end of the day, I now have a fully functional winch that I can operate from the back patio of my rental house while GGv2.0 is sitting in the garage. 8)

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Neet stuff Toby.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 pm

tobyw wrote: However, at the end of the day, I now have a fully functional winch that I can operate from the back patio of my rental house while GGv2.0 is sitting in the garage. 8)

Now teach it to get you a beer and you have my attention. :-)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”