Hood Vents

Post pics and info of your current projects.
SquirrelCrusher

Hood Vents

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Wed May 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Is anyone running hood vents in their cherokee? On my drive to Goldendale she got a little warm with the A/C running so I'm looking for cheap ways to cool her down. So far I like the looks of Grand Prix hood louvers the best.
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

mattawajeep

Re: Hood Vents

Postby mattawajeep » Wed May 16, 2012 7:52 pm

SquirrelCrusher wrote:Is anyone running hood vents in their cherokee? On my drive to Goldendale she got a little warm with the A/C running so I'm looking for cheap ways to cool her down. So far I like the looks of Grand Prix hood louvers the best.

I think the general consensus is that hood vents aren't going to help cool things down when you're at speed. All the hot air shuld be flowing down through the transmission tunnel and other vents can cause issues. YMMV, I'm coming from a wrangler standpoint.

Does your cherokee have a manual or auto trans? Are you running the correct gear ratio for the tires you have?

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Cherokee is an auto, gear ratio is... stock. I have 30in tires so I didn't check into changing gears.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed May 16, 2012 9:38 pm

mattawajeep wrote:
SquirrelCrusher wrote:Is anyone running hood vents in their cherokee? On my drive to Goldendale she got a little warm with the A/C running so I'm looking for cheap ways to cool her down. So far I like the looks of Grand Prix hood louvers the best.

I think the general consensus is that hood vents aren't going to help cool things down when you're at speed. All the hot air shuld be flowing down through the transmission tunnel and other vents can cause issues. YMMV, I'm coming from a wrangler standpoint.

Does your cherokee have a manual or auto trans? Are you running the correct gear ratio for the tires you have?

Never looked under the hood of a cherocar eh? Them bastids are rather sealed so no air flows through. Good friend was having issues with his clutch fan not working so it would get hot just driving down the highway. He'd pop the hood to the safety latch and the temp would start to drop.

I think steel horse was the company I saw with a vent kit. Looked rather like floor registers but function over form is ok on that one in my opinion. :D

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed May 16, 2012 10:03 pm

White trash wrote:Never looked under the hood of a cherocar eh? Them bastids are rather sealed so no air flows through. Good friend was having issues with his clutch fan not working so it would get hot just driving down the highway. He'd pop the hood to the safety latch and the temp would start to drop.

I think steel horse was the company I saw with a vent kit. Looked rather like floor registers but function over form is ok on that one in my opinion. :D

Yeah, I suppose if it's packed then it might help. But there shouldn't be an issue if everything else is working. Course, even that doesn't matter on the really hot days we get.

With an auto, I'd go with a secondary trans cooler first - but vents do look cooler. :D

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Thu May 17, 2012 4:43 am

I think WT is on to something here . . .

Stock gears and 30" tires isn't even close to extreme. I would look at the cooling system first. Hood vents aren't going to fix a bad fan clutch or maybe a radiator plugged with mud.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sat May 19, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm going to try and check out some of my cooling issues my next days off. Living in an apartment limits what I can tinker with. But I'll check out what I can and I've been researching a trans cooler and everything I have found seems to support the idea that a trans cooler will only improve things and isn't to spendy.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Just an update, I'm still looking for hood vents. I checked my cooling system out a could weeks ago and got a new fan clutch, and radiator cap. I picked up a fan shroud (mine was broken turing my transmission swap) but haven't put it in yet.

The last time I drove to Kennewick the long uphill in between Umatitty and Kennewick the temp rose to 240 so I shut off my A/C. :(

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Ya know, maybe there's a reason for that shroud :wink: Airflow is a biggy...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:24 pm

I know but i forgot the shroud in the back of my dads truck. :roll: so it will have to wait until I go back to Kennewick

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Not the best but they seem to work. Last month out at juniper I was having to stop and let the jeep cool down from 230+ temps. Today with larger tires and 3 dogs in the back, I was cruising all over and never went over 210

Even though the outside temps were lower today compared to last month I still think the vents helped a bit.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm thrilled with my Poison Spider hood vent, it dropped my temps 15 degrees in my JK. Of course it has dual direction louvers I assume to create a sort of vortex or cyclonic action...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”