YJ mods, an on going thread.

Post pics and info of your current projects.
bobracing

Re: YJ mods, an on going thread.

Postby bobracing » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:12 am

Roman wrote:Right, the valve body there. But with the plunger removed does that let the front circuit and rear circuit to balance pressure? Is it just an open manifold?

Open manifold, front and rear should be receiving the same pressure.
With the parts in the proportioning valve, the rear did almost nothing, without the inner part, a bit more but still not impressive.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Did you try pulling the check ball and spring out of the rear port before gutting it? It's supposed to be a check valve for the rear drums. Now that you are basically running a single circuit system now the hydraulic pressure will equalize and the smaller rear brake pistons won't get the higher pressure they need.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:02 am

This is a XJ but believe it to be the same as a YJ.
The spring, plunger, and o-ring were removed (right side of screen) and the end bolt vent was welded up.
From all my reading, this should allow full pressure to the rear. So it goes back to:
Is my MC piston to big and not exerting enough psi to the rear? Fronts work good from what I can tell.
To much "flex" in the old rubber lines? Or????
Before the booster mod (don't know know), I could sit in low/low (yea, little gearing issue) with the front tires locked (2wd at the time) and the back tires slowly rotating around on the shop floor.
James

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:24 pm

3 words:

Hyde rho boost
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:15 pm

tobyw wrote:3 words:

Hyde rho boost

I whole heartedly disagree! We did the exact same brake system in Fozzie's Scout, and they work AWSOME. Not race car by any means, but you were NEVER worried stepping on the pedal...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:53 am

I agree with Toby. Did hydro boost on my bronco. AMAZING stopping power. Especially with 4 4wheel disc.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:34 pm

More power isn't going to fix the lack of balance.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:57 pm

No, but it will help with large tires and small brakes.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Half ton Chevy up front.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:49 am

Roman wrote:Half ton Chevy up front.

once and a while at the top of this site, there is a picture of them flying thru the air.

Yes, 1/2 ton waggys up front 94 Isuzu Rodeo rear disks.
James

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:54 am

Half ton disc brakes front and rear. Still prefer hydro assist.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Still chugging along and got a little more done this weekend.

Inner fender wells. It is about 1/8"ish rubber and should work OK, but not overly happy. Think I'll eventually make metal inners or some sort of rod frame to rivot the rubber to. Also found out that "straps" should be used, the washers just didn't seem to hold it tight enough over a longer distance, droops between the screws.

Shocks for now. I really want to out board them (like a TJ) but having a hard time justifying cutting the frame with leaf springs straddling the cut. The frame and cage are tied so it might be a future mod.
Yep, RS5000 from probably the early 90s, it is what I had floating around that fit.

Went out to do a little mallcrawler work, well, that's a little hard when it's stuck on the lift. But a big thank to Chris at the Rusty Ranch for help and letting me use his lift.

Also got to make a few tracks, really think I'm going to like the 231/300 combo. Hill never looks as steep in pictures and 20 some pounds of tire pressure made it feel very promising.
James

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:34 pm

light bar = Officially a mallcrawler.

The 50" Rough Country brackets fit well but don't fit a 52" bar, imagine that? So a cut off wheel, a hot glue gun and a friend to help hold it in place, fits good now.

Found a TJ air tub so a cheap cone filter will be run for now but eventually cowl intake is in the works.

And an exhaust.
James

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:37 pm

After adding the double booster and larger master there was no room for the stock air cleaner.
One TJ air tube saved from the dumpster and a quick trip to the parts store.
One cone air filter, one piece of 3" exhaust pipe, one 2.5 to 3.0 coupler.
The couple and exhaust pipe are needed because all the cone filters only necked down to 3" and the TJ tube is ~2.7"

A quick test fit to see where things fit.

A little cutting.

Turns out the TJ tube is slightly larger than 2.5. So a little heat helped make thing fit nicely.

It will work for the short trip tomorrow, but still needs a tie down mount of some sort.
James

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu May 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Next step: Winch mount

YJs have a cross bar that limits how far down an 8274 vertical winch. The 8274 sits tall so I'm trying to mount it and keep it as low as possible.

So staying with the smaller mount theory. The mount came with winch. It needed a little trimming to make it a little smaller, not to mention someone already already did some bad hacking on it already.

Then back to the Jeep. Cut half the cross bar out. With the SR that ties the frame together so not worried about loosing the strength. The cut will be box in with captive nuts inside for bolting the winch plate down.

Next, the front bumper to match the crossmember.

Mocked up. Obviously some more cutting/trimming is needed but in general: Winch mount welded to bumper, winch mount clearanced for bolt to cross member, and all parts boxed in.

James

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 am

After this little incident last weekend, I decided it was time to get the winch project finished up. This would have been 5min if I had a winch, turned into an hour.

Welded nuts to the back of the boxing plate. This gives another attachment point.

Making sure things fit.

A little tight but also adding lower supports. The SR used the bottom frame mounts.

Trimmed the tube to support the mounting plate, just a little angle but should still be able to "push" if needed.

Weld it, add some POR-15.

Remember, where gloves when painting with POR-15, it doesn't come off.
James

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:31 am

Good news, finished the fab work and painted it.
Bad news, the "good" winch isn't working, Think the motor is bad but on the bright side, gives me an excuse to upgrade.

James

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:49 pm

The motor on my 8274 recently let loose of the magic smoke, too. What options are you considering for replacement?
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:40 pm

From what I've seen, you either replace it with a 4.5-4.8hp (early ones are about 2.5hp) original replacement motor (Warn 7536) or the 9.5xp 6hp (Warn 68608) which needs a new gear (key to 20 spline).

Then from there you decide, do I take a chance on Chinese (DB Electrical) or buy Warn. If it's not a replacement "keyed" motor (older style), it will need the new gear.

I'm leaning toward the Warn 9.5xp. Warn doesn't recommend it but from what I've read, they will pull a little faster/harder under load. After last weekend running a winch backwards under another rig, the mooore power would have been nice.
The Chinese stuff seem to be a bit of a crap shoot, some work well, some work well for a while, some get about 3 pulls.

Warn 7536, replacement: $180 shipped w/gear
Warn 68608, 9.5xp 6hp: $230 shipped + $23 gear
DB Electrical, replacement keyed: $91 shipped
DB Electrical, 6hp: $95 shipped + $23 gear
James

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Great info James!

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Turns out the winch I acquired is an old school version and seems to have the original Prestolite motor. This also means the shaft is keyed, not the newer spline and will need the new gear.

So, I went ahead and pulled the motor off. This required pulling the clutch off, little trick, turn it about 90deg so the gear doesn't fall into the case.

Not a good sign and kind of expected.

Pulled it apart and found some of the brushes were frozen. A little cleaner, grease, and re install.

Hooked the battery up and.....nothing.
Might have to seek advice from an expert. Still probably going with the new motor but if it's an easy fit, I can focus fundage on something else for now.
James

markrieb

Postby markrieb » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:41 am

I wonder if one of the local electrical motor rewinding places would be able to repair that for less than a new motor. There used to be several places in Pasco that did mostly the big circle irrigation pumps but they did do several other smaller motors for my previous work.
2012 Jeep JKUR
3.5" AEV Lift
18x9 Fuel Trophy with 35x12.50x18 Nitto M/T's
AEV Hood
Bushwacker flares
Garvin rack
Warn bumper and XD900i winch

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:51 am

Since this is the old school motor, ~2.5hp probably '70s vintage, I'd rather put money into a more power version, newer replacements are 4.5hp-6hp, with a faster line speed, ~50 vs 72fpm unloaded.
I do have a friend at TC Battery that is pretty good with motors and might have him take a look, if he could get it working, a back-up would be nice.
James

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:37 pm

i believe it is salvageable. i've worked on all kinda of motors. dc ones from 2hp to 1800hp. you can actually take a bucket of warm soapy water and slosh it around in there for a while. use a soft (soft) bristle brush to break up the harder stuff. be gentle with the insulation. pull the brushes from the brush assembly clean them and inside the brush holder so the brush slides smoothly through it's travel. after you're done washing it stick it in the oven for a couple of hours at no more than 200*f. let it set for a couple of days after that and reassemble. brush assemblies can be had pretty cheap if yours is toast. the commutator can be cleaned with a green scrubby pad. i mounted my armature in a drill press and held the pad as it rotated, erasers can also be used.

i did it to my current winch motor a couple of years back and it works fine to this day.

i've done it with the 1800 horse propulsion motor on a 230' coast guard vessel as well. but we had to create an oven to dry it. it too worked well.

scumby dam-it
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Well this is were I get to admit, I'm a dumb a$$.
So after consulting with a motor expert, I was doing everything wrong and wasn't getting the power were it needed to go. So tonight, we (mouse in my pocket and I) hooked the battery up and used a real jumper wire to go around the controller plug. Yes, no controller came with the winch. After a few taps, nothing happened and was a bit disappointed, then all of a sudden, the motor ran! A couple more taps on the other solenoid and it turned the other way.

So the winch does work as advertised. The motor is the older 2hp and will probably up grade at a later time. Now time to figure out how to install 150' of rope and pull something heavy as the instructions say.
James

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”