Crushed exhaust mod.

Post pics and info of your current projects.
bobracing

Crushed exhaust mod.

Postby bobracing » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:44 pm

I've had a project going for ummmmm, way to long but finally getting the finishing touch worked out. The project started as an 89 Ford, 1 ton, 4x4, auto, N/A diesel and after driving it for a few years, the power just wasn't there. I had collected a 7.3 IDI factory turbo motor and a friend said he would put it in. After getting the motor in and running, he asked, "would I like a 5sp in it." So a quick run out into a farm field and we had an 89, F250 4x4. Now my truck has a '93 factory 7.3 IDI turbo diesel and an '89 5sp but is lacking an exhaust system.

The stock Ford turbo exhaust is well, more or less a joke. The pipe is crushed so bad I'm surprised anything can get by. The fix is a Banks down pipe or modifying the turbo housing to except a 3" and/or putting a custom end on a Powerstroke exhaust. Well, don't have the cash at this point for the new exhaust and not ready for the turbo housing modification, so I came up with this. It's polishing a turd but should get by while making sure every thing else works.

A little slow on getting the camera out, this is the back side and the piece cut from the firewall side. The firewall was slightly modified already. I only the firewall side, wasn't sure how it conformed to the engine.

The new patch

James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Well that's certainly better than the stock crap. If you haven't figured out the rest of the system yet I can see what my friend wants for the exhaust he had on his 460 ferd 4 door. It is full 3" stainless with mandrel bends with flowmasters. I could use half of it on my 4 door if you want to go halves.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:33 pm

OK, that might work.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Roger Hoover

Postby Roger Hoover » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Use the down pipe from a newer 7.3 like 99 or so cut the flange off your old one weld it on the new on and walle you have an after market down pipe mine is a 97 thats what I did works like a champ breaths runs great only problem is I hear the turbo alot now.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”