XJ Front Bumper

Post pics and info of your current projects.
SquirrelCrusher

XJ Front Bumper

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:22 pm

This was 99TJ AKA Red Goat Fab first attempt at a cherokee. I think it turned out really nice.

I still need to figure out how I will coat it and I need to do some fender and flare trimming. Any advice on how to coat it? I'm thinking I'll bed line it.

So what do you guys think?
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

tobyw

Re: XJ Front Bumper

Postby tobyw » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:18 am

SquirrelCrusher wrote:So what do you guys think?

I like the overall shape of the main body of the bumper, but I could do without side/corner tube work partially blocking the already miserable XJ headlights. Just like 99% of aftermarket XJ bumpers, it sticks out too far IMO. I realize this is a compromise for easy bolt of a winch, but I still don't like how they all end up this way. I'd also like to see some sort of corner wrap to go around, or at least under, the front fenders after they have been trimmed.

Just my $0.02. :super
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:18 pm

On my drive back to Goldendale my headlights had the same light pattern as before. I don't think it is blocking the light output at all.

It does stick out a little ways, but that just provides a convient place to stand/sit when working on the engine. I sit on the tube of my trucks bumper while filling with oil. Lazy I know, but it takes a while to pour in 4 gallons :jongle

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:38 pm

I hope the "frame rails" are plated back to the coil buckets at least. Otherwise it will end badly when the bumper leaves the rig stuck in a hole with a winch attached to it. :lol:

Not a bad design, I'm with Toby though in that someone needs to make a bumper with better approach angle. It's not like the grill can't be trimmed to clear a winch.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Looks like nice craftmanship to me... for what it is worth. I'm not a painter, but look into self etching primers for your base. Regardless, go to a auto paint store and get a "pre-paint wash" to get the bumper really clean prior to paint/primer.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:05 pm

The bumper mounts with 4 bolts on each side so it doesn't go back to the coils. So you guys don't think the bumper will hold together if I pull with it?

Sorry for the crappy pictures I'm using my cell phone camera. But that is the best shot I could get of the drivers side mount

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 am

SquirrelCrusher wrote:The bumper mounts with 4 bolts on each side so it doesn't go back to the coils. So you guys don't think the bumper will hold together if I pull with it?

The bumper will probably hold up just fine, but the unitbody rails will not like it very much, as WT mentioned above... Most aftermarket XJ winch bumpers have that mounting plate running back several inches further and include about 7 or 8 mounting points, not just the factory 4 that hold the stock sheetmetal bumper. If you honestly plan to winch with that bumper, I'd get it back to Billy Goat or whatever their name is and get some better tie-in plates.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Powder coated hammer grey.

Before I mount a winch onto the bumper next year, I'm going to get some frame tie-ins from JCR or similar. JCRs sells their bumpers with stock mounting and then sells brackets that can be added to reinforce for winching/recovery

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”