Reducing the Pressure in the GM Power Steering Pump

Post pics and info of your current projects.
SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Reducing the Pressure in the GM Power Steering Pump

Postby SPR » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 am

If possible, how do you lower the pressure in a GM power steering pump. I currently have a GM pump connected to a T0Y0TA IFS power steering box. For some reason, the front seal on the power steering box starts leaking fluid. I've gone through two IFS power steering boxes with this arrangement.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:59 am

The problem isn't the pressure it's the fact that the boxes are minimum 17 years old. There are bushings and bearings in the box on both the input and sector shafts ends of it that wear and let the tired old seals leak. Either replace the seal to band aid the issue or rebuild the box and fix the problem. The pressure is just fine.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks Ryan for your comments. I won't mess with the GM pump. I will install my spare box (one that doesn't currently show any leaks) and try to rebuild the other one. Rebuilt ones online run around $300 which seems too much.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Rebuild kits are around $75 and simple to install. While you have one apart I'd highly recommend tapping it for hydro assist.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:57 pm

I'll bet Trashy can even throw out a rebuild link in his sleep! 8)

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”