XJ conversion

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Ace_Cherokee

XJ conversion

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Well my wallet and mind got the best of me and I bought a 4BT. I have little time to work on it (only weekends as my daily schedule is 0530-1930). I started to rip out my motor last weekend and this is the progress so far.

Cleaned and painted the motor,

Front clip off

Working on the front getting ready to take the clip off

The motor after it arrived

I am at a stuck point now looking for a 47RH 4x4 transmission (94-95 dodge diesel)
If any one knows where I can find one, that would be awesome!
Pasco auto wrecking does not have one but they found one in La Grande and they told me $1,300 but I think that is very high for a junk yard transmission...
Working on your rig is like a really great date: you start out expecting it to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you ever wanted.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Should be a sweet swap. I'd love to swap a 4BT or another diesel into my Cherokee. [/list]
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:52 pm

What year is your XJ? Are you going to part out the drivetrain? More specifically, can I have the alternator? :lol:

Curious to what a 4bt will do to the balance of an XJ. :?:

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:17 pm

I spend to much money on my jeep lol
Working on your rig is like a really great date: you start out expecting it to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you ever wanted.

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:19 pm

OldGreen wrote:What year is your XJ? Are you going to part out the drivetrain? More specifically, can I have the alternator? :lol:

Curious to what a 4bt will do to the balance of an XJ. :?:

The engine ways a few hundred pounds more than the stock. I'm looking to pushing the 4bt way way back in the engine compartment and building a tool chest for the rear so I don't lawn dart everywhere
As for the alternator, possibly. I may look into selling the engine as a whole though or doing a rebuild on it and selling it

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:23 pm

4BT is 850# or so which is roughly 400# more than the 4.0. So it will make the front end heavier, but I don't think it would be horrible. A Heavy front bumper and a winch would be close to the same weight. [/list]

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:24 pm

SquirrelCrusher wrote:4BT is 850# or so which is roughly 400# more than the 4.0. So it will make the front end heavier, but I don't think it would be horrible. A Heavy front bumper and a winch would be close to the same weight. [/list]
this one weighed 700 something wet according to the guy I bought it from? My bumper is not to heavy but the winch is a winch haha.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Even better. A lot depends on what they are out of and such. Does the 700# include starter, belt accs, and flywheel?[/list]

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:29 pm

SquirrelCrusher wrote:Even better. A lot depends on what they are out of and such. Does the 700# include starter, belt accs, and flywheel?[/list]

All but the flywheel. He didn't include it because the transmission was not sold with it and is not the one I will be using

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:48 am

id be more worried about the axles than anything else, the cherokee axles dont live with the 4.0 very well what are your plans as far as that goes, i say this because i assume you are looking for the 47rh becasue non computer controlled and driver drop, if you gave thought to a gm axle or dodge you could open your search up to include the 518 out of a first gen dodge and would probably bring a cheaper price

and gm and dodge 60's are much cheaper than ford

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:00 am

79chevy39.5's wrote:id be more worried about the axles than anything else, the cherokee axles dont live with the 4.0 very well what are your plans as far as that goes, i say this because i assume you are looking for the 47rh becasue non computer controlled and driver drop, if you gave thought to a gm axle or dodge you could open your search up to include the 518 out of a first gen dodge and would probably bring a cheaper price

and gm and dodge 60's are much cheaper than ford

Down the road after I get it running with the set up, I was going to replace the axels but I wanted to give my wallet a rest first. Not sure what I will go with just yet.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:28 am

I wouldn't plan on any heavy wheeling with that Cummins in there on stock axles! Everyone thinks my Scout is nose heavy. This is gonna be an axle breaker from the get go. I think properly done 44's would do, but you may have to do some serious cypherin' on the springs to hold that monster up! I'm sure one of the guys here will chime in on that. My thought would be coils out of a Power Stroke. Might get some lift, and hold up 700+ lbs of scrap iron...With my Scout, the springs are already made for the tonnage. A stock 345 at full dress is 760 lbs, but that's leaf springs. I think the two rigs are about the same weight, the thing being, yours ain't built for a 700lb engine. Unibody and all. Now, having said all that, I think your aim is admirable, just do some research on countering all that iron in the nose!
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 am

Grumpy wrote:I wouldn't plan on any heavy wheeling with that Cummins in there on stock axles! Everyone thinks my Scout is nose heavy. This is gonna be an axle breaker from the get go. I think properly done 44's would do, but you may have to do some serious cypherin' on the springs to hold that monster up! I'm sure one of the guys here will chime in on that. My thought would be coils out of a Power Stroke. Might get some lift, and hold up 700+ lbs of scrap iron...With my Scout, the springs are already made for the tonnage. A stock 345 at full dress is 760 lbs, but that's leaf springs. I think the two rigs are about the same weight, the thing being, yours ain't built for a 700lb engine. Unibody and all. Now, having said all that, I think your aim is admirable, just do some research on countering all that iron in the nose!

The current lift I have on there now is from junk yard parts ha :lol: . The coil overs currently on it were from a lifted e350 van that was used for balloon chasing in New Mexico. Once I get the engine in, I will see how they hold up and what I will need to do from there. I didn't plan on doing much, if any wheeling until I have new axels and a three or four link suspension for the rear.

I have been researching this project for three years now on a different website and have gathered a bit of good information. I have some other friends that are throwing in a hand as well and that always helps. Any advice is always welcome! :D

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 am

Was the van an oil burner? Linked rear?! You gonna win the lottery :D Just kiddin'! If you get things sorted, it should make for a decent rig! Just nose heavy like mine.
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 am

So. . .question:

What is the logic behind doing this at all? I've toyed with this one, the Mercedes diesel, and even a TDI just for the cool factor, but none of them end up being very practical when you consider just how good the 4.0 is. I'm all for doing something just for fun, but without a serious frame/cage structure, the combination of the weight and torque of a 4BT is opening up a can of worms that will ultimately defeat the purpose of what the XJ is good for:

Lightweight, Cheap, and highly capable.

I'm seriously not trying to be negative, but when I ran the math on this one, it appeared as though you would end up with a boat anchor that needs 40" tires and 1+ton running gear and a 1000lb rear bumper. Not that any of that is a bad thing, but the XJ platform is so weak to begin with that it just seems like a lot of trouble.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 am

Jim brings up a couple of points! Did I mention uniboby?
Dave

Quote:

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:28 am

OldGreen wrote:So. . .question:

What is the logic behind doing this at all? I've toyed with this one, the Mercedes diesel, and even a TDI just for the cool factor, but none of them end up being very practical when you consider just how good the 4.0 is. I'm all for doing something just for fun, but without a serious frame/cage structure, the combination of the weight and torque of a 4BT is opening up a can of worms that will ultimately defeat the purpose of what the XJ is good for:

Lightweight, Cheap, and highly capable.

I'm seriously not trying to be negative, but when I ran the math on this one, it appeared as though you would end up with a boat anchor that needs 40" tires and 1+ton running gear and a 1000lb rear bumper. Not that any of that is a bad thing, but the XJ platform is so weak to begin with that it just seems like a lot of trouble.

Simple answer.
I wanted to. No logic or anything at all. Just a want for a cummins in a Cherokee.

As for the uni body, it will be re-enforced.
Who said anything about a 1000 rear bumper? with the amount of $h!t that I carry in my jeep any way most of it in the rear, I don't see a problem with the type of wheeling that I normally prefer any way.
1 ton axles, no, I doubt that I will have/need those.
40" tires, nope 35" is good enough.

Its just a toy and unlike some "jeep people", I enjoy working on my rig and "improving" it.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:40 pm

the only reason i suggest a 60 over a 44 is balljoint size and wheel bearings with the added wieght of the motor plus bigger tires i would be worried about the balljoints especially in any rock/trail situation if it were a daily driver only i could see a smaller axle surviving but i had balljoint problems with my gm 10 bolt with a light motored but heavier overall rig just a thought

either way just keep updating the thread if you need any motor help when the time comes let me know ( cant see what pump you have but ive messed with the p and ve's)

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Grumpy wrote:Did I mention uniboby?

No worries Grumpy slapping some steel over laminated 18 gauge sheetmetal is by far the strongest basis for a wheeling chassis ever conceived. Rumor has it NASA holds a patent on the process but xjunk guys know the secret and the NASA lawyers don't think a lawsuit is worth their effort.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:21 pm

:mdr
Dave

Quote:

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Last edited by Ace_Cherokee on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Don't take it as criticism. You are going way outside the box. People are interested in how you are going to handle the challenges and I'm sure all want to see how the build goes. There is not a man one of us that doesn't want to see you succeed and put it on the trail. Me, I would want to put it in a YJ, or a TJ, but that is my bent. Keep up the work and post your build.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Ace_Cherokee wrote:Well so sorry for post this up. If a moderator is on, please take this forum down. I do not appreciate being ridiculed for trying something different and following what I want to do. Yea it's not going to be the gold $h!t on the trail but hey at least I am doing what I want.

A buddy years back went down the road you are on. He ended up with a 6k lb cherokee once he was done caging and plating it nose to tail to keep it from ripping itself apart.

No one is ridiculing your project, there are valid concerns being brought up so don't pass them off as anyone being a hater.

That 4bt makes more torque at idle than your 4.0 was capable of at its peak. It is also a good bit heavier and the transmission is too which will put a whole lot of strain on the chassis.

My thoughts are to plate it nose to tail and truss the axles especially the front HEAVILY! To combat gravity from turning the front end into a smile.

It's your project so do what makes you happy but realize that putting it out on the web makes it accessible to everyone lovers and haters alike :wink:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:37 am

Your answer of "because I want to" is a good one. You even have to admit that there are some really interesting complications in the project. I hope it turns out great. No need to be testy. Keep us informed, but understand that we will be honest with our facts and our opinions.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:20 am

Don't take the haters to seriously. They are just jealous. :wink: keep at it and keep us updated. If I had the money and know-how I'd be doing the same thing. I love diesels. I tried to stuff a diesel into my camaro "because I wanted to." The plan ended up not working due to the turbo design/mount. But if I ever get my hands ona 6.5 with a blower its going to be in my camaro in a heart beat.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”