XJ conversion

Post pics and info of your current projects.
SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:08 am

I saw a YouTube video of the 4BT swapped into a jeep. The excessive noise and vibration would take a bit to get use to... if possible.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:44 am

commando14 wrote:
iaccocca wrote:We will all be bragging on how our buddy did this when it is in JP magazine.

JP already published an article on the 4BT swap, it was titled "Top 10 Dumbest Jeep Engines Swaps":

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_1006_top_10_dumbest_jeep_engine_swaps_ever/viewall.html

But for the record I swapped in a 4.0L into my Comanche which they also have on that list. :tngsmile:

Yea I have seen that article a while ago. Good for them!
Working on your rig is like a really great date: you start out expecting it to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you ever wanted.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:59 pm

There are a bunch of them that shouldn't really be on the list. The 4.0 swap is one major one.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:53 pm

OldGreen wrote:There are a bunch of them that shouldn't really be on the list. The 4.0 swap is one major one.

I actually like the 4.0 but I agree with their reasoning 100%. Why buy a 2.5 equipped rig and swap a 4.0 into it? It's not even close to a plug and play and unless you have a complete same year parts rig you'll end up spending more money and endless hours screwing with it to make crap work.

There are other engine swaps on there that I don't agree with too for other reasons but none of them are going to rip apart your tuna can with as much impunity as a cummins will. :lol:

colemancooler

Postby colemancooler » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:25 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6JR9_LkY8[/youtube]

4bt mud racer
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxxDxnlwsps&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

xj with 4bt
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RypBr174ibo&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
there are a couple more xj videos with the 4bt but the video quality is so bad it was not worth posting them

for grumpy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf0SnyxmvPo&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
shindig wheelers #36

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:40 pm

As interesting as this swap is. . .I can honestly say that I would never want one. The videos really put an explanation point on that for me. That noise would drive me NUTS. That is seriously super annoying.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks Cooler, but that holds NO interest for me. Nick put a 4BT in his '80 ScoutII while he was out here. I drove it a few times, and it was awful! Lots of grunt, particularly when compared to the Nissan it came with, but too slow and noisy for this old Grump. Seemed to be doing it's level best to shake itself apart. I'll stick with the 345/TF727 I'm fixing up now.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Some reasons as to why I went with this engine,
American, more specifically, Cummins. I love cummins
The noise, I really enjoy the sound the make
Simplicity.
Hate away :lol:
Working on your rig is like a really great date: you start out expecting it to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you ever wanted.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:18 pm

i have no problems with my pickups being cummins but i think i would be agrivated by the short power bband of them off road especially in the mud but maybe a higher gear and auto wouldnt be so bad....anyways please continue with the swapping of the cj

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:57 pm

I'll play the age card and say I'm more into smooth and relaxed so my old bones don't get scrambled :wink:
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Grumpy wrote:I'll play the age card and say I'm more into smooth and relaxed so my old bones don't get scrambled :wink:

That's funny cause there's nothing smooth about a Scout :lol:
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:31 pm

I like the sound, but that could be cause my jeep already makes similar noises...

Also, I think those rigs just have obnoxious or no mufflers.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Ace_Cherokee wrote:Some reasons as to why I went with this engine,
Simplicity.

I am a Cummins fan as well and if I were to swap one into anything it would be a rig with a chassis that is up to the task of containing its torque and more importantly its weight.

A mid 70's hd dana 44 is absolutely as light of an axle as I'd consider and then I'd stuff it with a Jana 44 gear kit and I'd get real good at changing ball joints because I'd be changing them regularly.

That's not hate just more information which exactly like the information prior in that will go unheeded since you're young, single and have no idea what you're doing. Your words, not mine.

When you give up on project hacktacular in a year or so I'm sure someone here will lend you their trailer a hand in hauling it to twin city metals. :lol:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:04 am

Ryan's mean. . .or honest. . .or something.

But listen to what he's saying on the D44.

BTW. . .what's wrong with your 4.0?

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:25 am

White trash wrote:
Ace_Cherokee wrote:Some reasons as to why I went with this engine,
Simplicity.

I am a Cummins fan as well and if I were to swap one into anything it would be a rig with a chassis that is up to the task of containing its torque and more importantly its weight.

A mid 70's hd dana 44 is absolutely as light of an axle as I'd consider and then I'd stuff it with a Jana 44 gear kit and I'd get real good at changing ball joints because I'd be changing them regularly.

That's not hate just more information which exactly like the information prior in that will go unheeded since you're young, single and have no idea what you're doing. Your words, not mine.

When you give up on project hacktacular in a year or so I'm sure someone here will lend you their trailer a hand in hauling it to twin city metals. :lol:

Unless I am missing something, the way to learn about vehicles is to research and to go and get hands on. I have been studying this project for 3+ years now and decided to go ahead with it.
As for a trailer, thanks for wanting me to prove you wrong just that much more.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:14 pm

WT, with or without your permission, I'm steeling your term "Project Hacktacular". My kid has been plotting stupid alterations to his nice daily driver Ford Ranger and your term is going to be dropped around my house a lot unless he wise up.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:58 pm

what are you going to for tcase i see you are going to use a early 2nd gen cummins trans?

if you go to a right hand drop case your axle choice goes cheaper as there is more selection

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Ace_Cherokee wrote:Unless I am missing something, the way to learn about vehicles is to research and to go and get hands on. I have been studying this project for 3+ years now and decided to go ahead with it.
As for a trailer, thanks for wanting me to prove you wrong just that much more.

Hands on is the best way to learn so at least you've been correct about one thing in this thread.

Of all the trannies that'll bolt up to that engine you are choosing the biggest turd in the mopar family... :lol: I can smell the scrap yard calling already so go right ahead and hack your tuna can apart. Just a heads up they'll take the carcass sans title if you cut the firewall in half and the rest is in pieces smaller than the hood. That'll allow you to keep the vin and title to sell on craigslist to try recouping some of the money you wasted.

Steve I give my blessing on the usage. :lol:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:43 am

Trashy, you are an absolute font of encouragement :roll: Ace may start to think you're picking on him, which we all know isn't the case :wink:
Dave

Quote:

White trash

Postby White trash » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:58 am

Grumpy wrote:Trashy, you are an absolute font of encouragement :roll: Ace may start to think you're picking on him, which we all know isn't the case :wink:

Could the swap be done well by someone with above average fabrication abilities and experience? Absolutely. Do I see that happening in this thread? No. This is not a swap for a newbie due to the recipient vehicle requiring an extensive amount of reinforcement and from scratch fabrication that will be required for completion in a timely and clean manner.

It's just the nature of these things, I've seen soooooo many newbies get in over their heads and end up scrapping their steel abortion in the end after realizing that all the advice they were given by the "haters" along the way was 100% correct. The dream clouds their judgment, I should know as I speak from experience... :wink:

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:22 am

You can do anything you want.

When done RIGHT, it can be impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9sdjKUZQHKg

Or, you can fab it and test it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JCfgx_krIo0
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Wow. . .no bumpstops and weak coilover mounts. . .if those two obvious things are overlooked. ..DEATHTRAP.

That Metro fully gets it. I'd love to drive that thing!

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 am

New pics to come soon..
I aam trying to come up with a cross member design for a few places on the frame, does any one have any sugestions?

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 am

Ace_Cherokee wrote:New pics to come soon..
I aam trying to come up with a cross member design for a few places on the frame, does any one have any sugestions?

Pictures will get more ideas.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:58 am

Working on the frame
I painted it to see what it would look like (ie just for the hell of it) but the plating will go further back

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”