XJ conversion

Post pics and info of your current projects.
colemancooler

Postby colemancooler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:10 pm

some where on pirate 4x4 there is a write up on a xj truss job where the guy totally plated the unibody
shindig wheelers #36

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 pm

If you have the room directly under the motor mounts would be ideal. Not sure what room you have under your oil pan though.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Lurch, I may have a good spot, shall see this weekend.
Coleman ill try to find it thank you
Working on your rig is like a really great date: you start out expecting it to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you ever wanted.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:15 pm

OldGreen wrote:Ryan's mean. . .or honest. . .or something.

My question is who is Trashy?

I mean we get lots of "info & opinion" from him, yet he never comes to meetings, he's not wheeled anytime in nearly a year that I've been around.

So what gives? Your (Trashy) responses can be pretty abrasive, whether good info or not, to simply hide behind a computer blasting out "wisdom" does not a good member or friend make.

While you may take this as some sort of challenge, I invite you to join us at any of the upcoming meetings or runs.

But I gotta say on behalf of everybody (who does show up and run their rigs), wisdom is great, shared wisdom is even better, but unless you're there wheelin' with us your wisdom is just words. If you're not out here breaking/fixing things with us, your words count less.

So please come on out and join the party, or at least consider a less abrasive way to convey your messages. Just Sayin'
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:25 pm

JK Lance wrote:
OldGreen wrote:Ryan's mean. . .or honest. . .or something.

My question is who is Trashy?

I mean we get lots of "info & opinion" from him, yet he never comes to meetings, he's not wheeled anytime in nearly a year that I've been around.

So what gives? Your (Trashy) responses can be pretty abrasive, whether good info or not, to simply hide behind a computer blasting out "wisdom" does not a good member or friend make.

While you may take this as some sort of challenge, I invite you to join us at any of the upcoming meetings or runs.

But I gotta say on behalf of everybody (who does show up and run their rigs), wisdom is great, shared wisdom is even better, but unless you're there wheelin' with us your wisdom is just words. If you're not out here breaking/fixing things with us, your words count less.

So please come on out and join the party, or at least consider a less abrasive way to convey your messages. Just Sayin'

WT is not a member of the club. He's like an encyclopedia without a filter. He's also one of the few people that I know that is exactly the same behind a keyboard as he is in real life. He's also not afraid to where a tutu in public. As far as your invite:

Ryan, stay home. :twisted: Dave's the only non-wheelin' curmudgeon that we need.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Well then, maybe a filter for Christmas is in order. Encyclopedias are nice, and look good on a shelf, but they don't bite...

We can always agree to disagree, but to be disagreeable just cause, is flat out rude.

What riles folks like myself other Vets is we served this country so that people continue enjoy such rights and freedoms... But being talked down to ain't cool, we all learn at our own speed. I just don't see any necessity to be rude when sharing. So I'll fall back on something my Mom used to exclaim;

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!"

There, Thanks Mom...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Ryan / Trashy, is good people. But, like Jim said, no filter. You will never doubt what he is thinking. There is probably not a soul on here that hasn't gotten good advice or a good favor from him. I'm in both categories. Probably not a soul that hasn't wanted to ring his neck, also. Oh well. :roll:
If he could see his way to change his mind on the appearance of Jeepsters, I might even count him a friend. :lol:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Project update:
More frame stiffening to come this weekend. On Sunday, I will be building motor mounts. Than I am off to AZ for the week
Working on your rig is like a really great date: you start out expecting it to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you ever wanted.

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:07 pm

1000 views!

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Ace_Cherokee wrote:1000 views!

That's only because of your signature... LOL
Lance

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:10 pm

I don't normally watch views, but that is impressive. You must have this cross posted. :?:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:12 pm

iaccocca wrote:

I don't normally watch views, but that is impressive. You must have this cross posted. :?:

Cross Posted?
I wonder if other XJ owners are google searching "XJ swap" or similar (Like I used to) and are coming upon this site.

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:13 pm

JK Lance wrote:

That's only because of your signature... LOL

You know the signature is true...

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Ace_Cherokee wrote:You know the signature is true...

INDEED!
Lance

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Always wonder why they call it the "Bonus Plan"

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:05 am

I'd like to see the kid give it a shot. You never know. From doing only about an hour or two of research myself I think this is doable.

Here's some inspiration for you Ace. 1999 Cherokee. Ford 8.8. Cummins 4BT Conversion

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-sAVBo4fY[/youtube]

This site specializes in parts for your swap and does them too. Everything you need to do the swap. Engine, mounts, pump for steering ect...

http://www.jdjeeps.com/

Oh and some info from their site on the swap...

4BT Cummins engines for our swaps., and recommend the AX-15 transmission or an NV4500 also works well. In newer Jeeps 2005 + the stock NSG370 works but may require modification. You can also use a TH400, TH700R4, or Ford AOD if you prefer an automatic. (may require modification) 3.07 gears with 33â€
Last edited by Lud on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:20 am

[quote="Lud"]I'd like to see the kid give it a shot. You never know. From doing only about an hour or two of research myself I think this is doable.

Here's some inspiration for you Ace. 1999 Cherokee. Ford 8.8. Cummins 4BT Conversion

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-sAVBo4fY[/youtube]

This site specializes in parts for your swap and does them too. Everything you need to do the swap. Engine, mounts, pump for steering ect...

http://www.jdjeeps.com/

Oh and some info from their site on the swap...

4BT Cummins engines for our swaps., and recommend the AX-15 transmission or an NV4500 also works well. In newer Jeeps 2005 + the stock NSG370 works but may require modification. You can also use a TH400, TH700R4, or Ford AOD if you prefer an automatic. (may require modification) 3.07 gears with 33â€

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 am

That site seems to have a lot of good info. I know you have a trans but a manual NV4500 would be awesome behind that thing. The Cherokee in the video I posted has an 8.8, 33s, and looks stock to me. Im bored so Ill see what I can dig up one the frame and Unibody nods needed. I have seen a 7.3 Powerstroke in a CJ7 so anything is possible, as long as you know what you're getting into and plan for the unexpected along the way.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 pm

From the videos... That's a lot of black smoke for a group trail-ride. My worn out 22R didn't put out nearly that much smoke and on most trips, I was strongly encouraged to be last in line. Being last often means more pictures of your rig being taken.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:41 pm

SPR wrote:From the videos... That's a lot of black smoke for a group trail-ride. My worn out 22R didn't put out nearly that much smoke and on most trips, I was strongly encouraged to be last in line. Being last often means more pictures of your rig being taken.

I'm confused. Lol are you making a negative or positive comment? Haha

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:43 pm

The black smoke all depends on how its tuned (edit mechanical tuning in this case and injector size) and how much throttle you're running. Black smoke is actually wasted fuel. It's supposed to look cool I guess. If that's chipped, he probably needs to turn it down a notch.
Last edited by Lud on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Lud wrote:The black smoke all depends on how its tuned and how much throttle you're running. Black smoke is actually wasted fuel. It's supposed to look cool I guess. If that's chipped, he probably needs to turn it down a notch.

Full mechanical motor. Depending on the fuel pump, it's just one screw to turn it up or down

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:41 pm

actualy depends on that there are 2 mechanical pumps that are common cummings (ve and p pump) both are tuned slightly different but best tuning comes from not simple screw turning both have either a fuel pin or plate that ramp how aggressive fuel comes on the screw only determines all out fueling, also they both have govenor springs that determine when fuel goes down theres also a couple more screws that deal with low boost fuel as well but there are hours and hours worth of reading to properly tune a rig,

also wheres the pics of the progress?

Ace_Cherokee

Postby Ace_Cherokee » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:33 pm

No pics to post. I'm in arizona but I have been working on continuing to plate the frame and design/create motor mounts

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:06 pm

what pump does your motor have? i have a ve fuel pin in my box at work

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”