Jeep Gladiator

Post pics and info of your current projects.
mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:22 am

bobracing wrote:I think you're over thinking the steering. The truck has cross-over steering right now and this should stay. Pitman arm, draglink, and tie-rod may change but the style won't. The GM parts truck has push-pull type and this isn't very desirable, I wouldn't change the style you have now.

Yeah, I plan on keeping the crossover. Doing research now to figure out what parts I can re-use and how I can attach the tie rod and draglink on the passenger side.

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Holy overthinking batman. :lol:

Leave the rear springs outboarded, use the factory sway bar from the Chevy on the front axle with the yj springs boom done and more stable than the ancient crap ever thought of.

The pin mounts aren't hard to remove. You own a grinder right? :lol:

You already have half the floor cut out, remove the body lift and build around the trans. None of this fabrication is hard or even all that time consuming if you'd just do it rather than talking about it. :lol:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:41 pm

White trash wrote:Holy overthinking batman. :lol:

Leave the rear springs outboarded, use the factory sway bar from the Chevy on the front axle with the yj springs boom done and more stable than the ancient crap ever thought of.

I kinda doubt that. Simple geometry makes me think that adding height, narrowing the spring mounts, and adding flatter springs is just going to lose stability on the whole. Adding the sway bar would actually be necessary at that point to keep from moving all around. Don't know if it would even mount up well. I'll have to look.
Last edited by mattawajeep on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Never doubt the power of a sway bar over an inch thick. :lol:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm

White trash wrote:Never doubt the power of a sway bar over an inch thick. :lol:

It is stupid thick. :lol:

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 pm

the factory gm frame has more flex than that bar does. i use to wheel a chevy pickup and used it too, 4 inches of lift and 40 inch tires and never once did i think it had too much body roll.. also all truck other than the early rihno trucks have the about the same spring spacing, around 32 inches with a shackle pivot through the frame and new brackets up font and factory springs i bet you end up the same if not lower than where you are now then its only a matter of either new springs or lift springs to get desired hieght

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:35 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:the factory gm frame has more flex than that bar does. i use to wheel a chevy pickup and used it too, 4 inches of lift and 40 inch tires and never once did i think it had too much body roll.. also all truck other than the early rihno trucks have the about the same spring spacing, around 32 inches with a shackle pivot through the frame and new brackets up font and factory springs i bet you end up the same if not lower than where you are now then its only a matter of either new springs or lift springs to get desired hieght

Not even close to the same height. Do a little looking. Without cutting out chunks of frame and even using flat springs I'll gain more than 4 inches.

Laquandt

Postby Laquandt » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 pm

Lightbulb ... What if you fabed up a spring purch crossmember for front like doin a SAS on a yota then used the ford inverted shackles on the rear of the front springs??? Just a thought, it would keep your springs outside the frame and no if any lift. Just an idea. :?
First time jeep owner, and now I'm hooked for life!

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Laquandt wrote:Lightbulb ... What if you fabed up a spring purch crossmember for front like doin a SAS on a yota then used the ford inverted shackles on the rear of the front springs??? Just a thought, it would keep your springs outside the frame and no if any lift. Just an idea. :?

I'm not following. Don't know anything about ford or yota trucks. I don't know what that would change. The only real issue with the springs being on the outside of the frame are that they don't line up with the spring perches on the axles I'm putting in.

Getting new springs for the front won't be that hard. I was in yakima today for an ag conference and was able to sneak away long enough to check out White Front. They build custom springs, and can easily get new beefed up springs that will match my mounts with whatever lift I want. Cost should be around ~140 per spring.

Laquandt

Postby Laquandt » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:56 pm

Gotcha I just reread and saw your width issue... I'll shut up now haha :oops:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 pm

Laquandt wrote:Gotcha I just reread and saw your width issue... I'll shut up now haha :oops:

Haha, I thought you were talking about something complicated and I just didn't understand. No need to shut up. As much as I'm arguing against moving springs at the moment, I do actually listen to advice on some things. :lol:

Laquandt

Postby Laquandt » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:27 pm

I do have to agree with trash about floor mod for tranny clearance so the body lift can go bye bye. That will bring your weight closer to frame for stability even if 4" was gained by spring under frame.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Laquandt wrote:I do have to agree with trash about floor mod for tranny clearance so the body lift can go bye bye. That will bring your weight closer to frame for stability even if 4" was gained by spring under frame.

Some of it can, and will go away, but not all of it can be so easily dealt with:

:lol:

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:32 am

Is the floor made of steel? Do you own a welder? The answer to both questions is yes. Smells easy to deal with to me.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:36 am

For the love of gawd, this is almost as painful as the 4BT thread... :shock:

Why not just put the Jeep body on the Chevy frame and be done with it? Heck, you could have had that done and towed to FYBR, and been onto another project by now :lol:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:48 am

I built a doghouse out of a street sign one time. Mattawa probably has too many stop signs anyway.

But, seriously. . .body lifts are no bueno. You could certainly do some cutting and build a new tunnel cover. . .heck, you have the floors torn up anyway. Just takes time.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:43 am

tobyw wrote:For the love of gawd, this is almost as painful as the 4BT thread... :shock:

Why not just put the Jeep body on the Chevy frame and be done with it? Heck, you could have had that done and towed to FYBR, and been onto another project by now :lol:

Body mounts are extremely difficult to engineer! Besides that glaring fact the truck would be an unstable leaning wreck waiting to happen because the superior pin style outboarded spring mounts wouldn't be used!!!

Ehrmuhgerd do you know nothing!?!

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:07 am

Has anyone besides me noticed that Wrench mentioned a 4BT swap in his thread :shock:
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 am

He was being sarcastic. . .but yes. :lol:

By way of observation, this project was initially intended to be pretty simple:

Update some springs, fix the floors and done.

Then the drivetrain complicated it. And the goofy spring mounts. . .and, and, and. . .

Sounds like it has turned into a typical Jeep project.

Please keep your comments to the tech and your observations without the attitude. I'd like to see this thread keep going until Dale has a finished product.

There is GREAT information coming out that could not only help Dale, but also assist others down the road. Carry on.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:15 pm

mattawajeep wrote:
Laquandt wrote:I do have to agree with trash about floor mod for tranny clearance so the body lift can go bye bye. That will bring your weight closer to frame for stability even if 4" was gained by spring under frame.

Some of it can, and will go away, but not all of it can be so easily dealt with:

Whatever you do, can you please save me the Chevy tunnel pan?
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Grumpy wrote:Has anyone besides me noticed that Wrench mentioned a 4BT swap in his thread :shock:

MAJOR sarcasm intended.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:20 pm

OldGreen wrote:He was being sarcastic. . .but yes. :lol:

Then the drivetrain complicated it. And the goofy spring mounts. . .and, and, and. . .

Please keep your comments to the tech and your observations without the attitude. I'd like to see this thread keep going until Dale has a finished product.

There is GREAT information coming out that could not only help Dale, but also assist others down the road. Carry on.

+1

I really like this build! Those J-trucks were built pretty stout, it'll make a great tow rig!

Dale,
I dont think the Chevy spring mount locations will cause such a big difference in stability as you think. I have had a few Chevy's with this front axle and they are plenty stable withoutthe sway bar, and especially if they have a stiffer spring than the stock soft ones.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 pm

OldGreen wrote:He was being sarcastic. . .but yes. :lol:

Exactly, the goal here was simple. And just because there are a few snags it doesn't mean that I to use that excuse to completely rebuild the truck. :lol:

I think it will do exactly what I want with some new springs and some simple spring perch moving. Guess I needed a better picture that that one I posted. I believe that pic already hs some body lift, and the trans already pushes up through the floor and into the dash.

And like I've said more than once.... I plan to get rid of as much as the body lift as possible. There are engine fitment considerations as well. If I can get by with 1" of body lift I'll be happy. My TJ with a 1" body lift hasn't killed me yet.

Wrench wrote:+1

I really like this build! Those J-trucks were built pretty stout, it'll make a great tow rig!

Dale,
I dont think the Chevy spring mount locations will cause such a big difference in stability as you think. I have had a few Chevy's with this front axle and they are plenty stable withoutthe sway bar, and especially if they have a stiffer spring than the stock soft ones.

No, I agree with that. White Trash started the hyperbole war, I was just continuing on in the grand tradition of peak putters forum build threads. :lol:

I want to build a safe reliable no frills tow rig and get it out of the garage as soon as possible. It doesn't have to turn on a dime, and it doesn't have to ride like some super smooth 80's lincoln luxury wagon.

I'll save my extra time for figuring out the interior, body, AC, wiring.... I'm always busy with work, and have another jeep that doesn't get wheeled enough as it is. Overthinking is actually a good thing, looking at the complete system and the challenges that need to be met can save a lot of headaches. Otherwise, the simple little changes & fixes add up and the project doesn't even move for years.....

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Wrench wrote:Whatever you do, can you please save me the Chevy tunnel pan?

Sure, the trans should be coming out today. I snapped a few pics of the linkages, and will get a few more before it comes out. I'll try and post them tonight so you can take a look before it's all apart.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Wrench wrote:
Grumpy wrote:Has anyone besides me noticed that Wrench mentioned a 4BT swap in his thread :shock:

MAJOR sarcasm intended.

Okay, I missed it. Sheesh! Give an old guy a break :roll:
Dave

Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon80

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”