Jeep Gladiator

Post pics and info of your current projects.
mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:24 am

Some more welding:

Guess badly on the length here, kinda hard to judge when you're still bending things.

Almost done, have a bit more stuff to clean up, and I think it needs to be sandblasted. Hit everything with a coarse flapper wheel, but I think it's still to smooth even with all the scratches.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:19 pm

I think I need some chemical paint stripper. I'm gonna go nuts doing this by hand. Uncoverd a bunch of bondo work as well. I'm cleaning up as much of that stuff as I can, and then it will get some more bondo. I think it won't matter much if it's all going to be coated with bedliner and not paint.

Anyone know where I can get the really nasty paint remover in the tri-cities? I'd rather not pay for shipping if I don't have to, and the only stuff that's local is "safer" and doesn't really work.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Yeah, to heck with wire wheels and chemical paint stripper. Got these in today:

I found some smaller versions in a box in the garage that worked great, but wore out quickly. I'm hoping that these will make this job easy.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Maaaaan, all I can say is you better hand on to that baby!!
Forget your age and live your life!

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Danny wrote:Maaaaan, all I can say is you better hand on to that baby!!

I thought that might be an issue, but it kicks back even less than a normal grinding wheel. Probably largely because you don't have to apply any force, and you keep it out of the corners. It's nothing at all like a wire wheel, those like to get away from you.

It's quick.

Here's about 20 mins of work on the bed (On a side note, I think removing the paint made it grow taller....):

I stayed away from edges, as I don't want the disc rounded as it cuts alot faster when flat. I'm going to head back out and finish the cracks with a wheel that I've already rounded by working on tight spots on the cab.

Here's the wheel after taking off that paint:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Anyone have thoughts or opinions on Air Bags in addition to leaf springs for dealing with heavy loads?

They're not that expensive, and a generic version will be really easy to adapt to my current setup - as there is a lot of room in the rear.

This would let me run lightweight springs for ride comfort when empty. When I go to hook up a trailer, or carry a bunch of building materials I can stiffen things up with the air bags.

The frame is really quite sturdy already, but I think that boxing in the sections where the air bags contact would be a good idea.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Cool, don't see too many of those with a Buick 350.

I've been trying to get all the decals I need for my truck as it didn't come with any. I was able to find a 350 emblem for one side, but I still need the other, wonder if the guy would sell me one. They're kinda rare.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 pm

a lot of the load helper bags are pretty small but do help a lot my dad runs them on his 2500hd and makes a big difference with his big (heavy) camper

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:56 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:a lot of the load helper bags are pretty small but do help a lot my dad runs them on his 2500hd and makes a big difference with his big (heavy) camper

Yeah, it seems like the majority are the type that bolt to the spring and then attach to the frame, which are small.

They make some pretty big ones though that sit on the axle itself and then mount to the inside of the frame.

Most everything I'm finding seems to be pretty positive reguarding them. I just hadn't given them any thought at all until last night while browsing pictures of various suspension setups. Seems like a really good idea, and I'm wondering why more rigs don't come with them from the factory.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:17 pm

I have a complete Firestone airbag kit that may work for you. Come check it out next time you are in town.

I also just snagged a 700r4, so wont be needing the clutch or trans cover from that Chevy cab. There are a few interior pieces I would like to snag before it hits the scrap yard, though.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Wrench wrote:I have a complete Firestone airbag kit that may work for you. Come check it out next time you are in town.

I also just snagged a 700r4, so wont be needing the clutch or trans cover from that Chevy cab. There are a few interior pieces I would like to snag before it hits the scrap yard, though.

Cool. Perhaps I can come in a bit early the next meeting night.

What do you want from the interior. I can pull it out and bring it in. My attempts at making it into the scrapyard keep getting derailed.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:16 pm

So, I've gotten a whole lot done - but nothing much exciting.

Lots of cleaning, removed every bit of trim, all the paint, and have the undercarriage almost completely cleaned up. I've also done a bunch of body work. Aligning doors, trying to align the hood (that's gonna take some more work). Fixing the large dents, and applying way too much body filler for a beater rig. Welded up a bunch of holes in the body, fixed the front fenders and welded them into the front clip.

No pictures of that stuff yet though, I'm going to wait until I get it ready for paint. I talked my brother out of the bed for his willy's truck, and if everything goes well it will at the very least be sitting on the frame tomorrow.

Junkyard trip to Spokane was successful. Met up with an owner of a 66 Thriftside Gladiator and got a bunch of measurements for the frame skirts I will need to fabricate.

Also picked up the big remaining pieces I need for my upgraded brakes.

What I'm hoping my truck will start to look like:

My collection of emblems is growing. Only have a few more to find, then it'll be time to clean them up, repair the broken ones, and then re-paint.

14 Bolt disc brake conversion brackets:

Everything I need to get the new rear axle bolted up:

My Junkyard goodies. Hydro brake booster from a 2005 Chevy Suburban. Really common chevy part, runs from 02-10, and is in the suburban, sierra, avalanche, escalade, Yukon, and a few others.

I'll need to remove the snap ring, nut, and the original mounting plate:

Which will be replaced by a simple piece of plate:

Which will then bolt to a mount I need to weld up in place of the original master cylinder.

The hydro boost unit linkage should be the exact length I need, but that's easily adjusted by shortening the piece of tube. Bolt hole on the end of the linkage is the correct size to bolt right up to my existing manual brake pedal.

So yeah, lots of parts not yet on the jeep. I've been spending way too much time working on the body, and not enough on everything else that needs to be done. Still hope to get this thing done this summer though.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:26 pm

That is going to be one really cool truck when you are done. 8)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:32 am

Yeah, it's to bad Jeep and IH got out of trucks. They had some personality :wink:
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:19 am

That thing is going to begging for a modern ls series engine.... even a 4.8 to stay in the budget side would be nice then a 6.0 good right in its place later in life....just saying it will save on fuel too

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:27 am

what does a 4.8 LS go for these days?

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:44 am

There's a complete takeout on cl for 750 with harness and computer so in ny opinion anything from 500 to 1000 is fair

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:56 am

Grumpy wrote:Yeah, it's to bad Jeep and IH got out of trucks. They had some personality :wink:

Had to go look up Travelall's last night as I don't think I've seen one before. IH had some cool stuff, I didn't realize.

79chevy39.5's wrote:That thing is going to begging for a modern ls series engine.... even a 4.8 to stay in the budget side would be nice then a 6.0 good right in its place later in life....just saying it will save on fuel too

A modern chevy engine that I can just drop in would be pretty awesome. Sadly, it's not in the budget. I have a pretty strict budget lined out for this thing and I really need to stick with it.

Not that I haven't been looking. I've had my eye on several different stroker builds, as well as some of the newer stuff. In a few years I can think about putting some more money aside.

Toolegit86 had a TBI setup that would have bolted right up, but I don't think he ever finished pulling it out of the donor rig. I need to get ahold of him.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:51 pm

If there is anything other than a very mild cam tbi won't be happy just a fyi

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:17 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:If there is anything other than a very mild cam tbi won't be happy just a fyi

Yeah, I think we determined that the cam in the engine is an RV cam, and barely above stock.

Didn't get the willy's bed set in place, but I figured my time would be better spent cleaning as much stuff off the frame and cab as I could while it was outside.

I think I'm going to see if I can't get the rear axle pulled out of the Chevy tonight before it gets dark. Swaping the axle in with everything out of the way will make life a lot easier.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Was sort of industrious this evening. Mostly I was tired of body work and decided to change things up.

14 Bolts are way too big. Fortunately I can cheat....

Tada!

Unfortunately it wasn't actually that easy. The Chevy is out in a field about 100 yards from the house, and there's a pretty decent hill. I tried various straps and thingamajigs to tow it behind the jeep, but that wasn't working. I decided to push it by hand.

Now, if any of you ever try and push a 14 bolt up a hill by yourself, make sure you have something on your feet with good traction, not a pair of really worn out tennis shoes....

This may or may not have happened:

But since no one else was there, I'm pretty sure it didn't happen and everything went smoothly.

Anyway, got the axle, spindle nuts, and drum off of one side no problem.

Spindle looks to be in really good shape.

Really glad I bought this thing. Purchased it to bend some AK-47 receivers and never thought I would use it again.... Buying a jeep proved that wrong a long time ago.

Got the hub off with a bit of hammering.

I couldn't find my big brass punch, so before I replace the bearings I decided to work on the other side. Sadly, the drum is kinda stuck, and I ran out of light.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Pulled the Suburban tank this evening as I wanted to check the fit. Looks like it'll just squeeze in there. Well, after I cut out the horribly welded frame supports added by the previous owner.

I don't think they're doing much but add spots for the frame to rust out. Might weld in some nicer ones that fit around the tank after I get it in.

42 gallons of gas will certainly help making it to the trail and back without running out. Maybe I should add the stock tank back in as well.... Even if I get 10 MPG I'll still be able to drive 600+ miles. :lol:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Got some bolt on goodies (well, more bolt on than some of the other garbage I'm doing) in the mail today.

One of my side mirrors was busted, and rather than try and source another ugly mirror I picked up a set of these. New in a really old box. They're really close to the original Jeep approved West Coast Jr. mirrors, with the addition of a wide angle mirror. Being aluminum is also a plus. With a little mount tweaking these should bolt right up.

And some trivia.... When Willy's designed the Rhino chaser grill, they had originally planned to add a set of fog lights inside of the headlights. A bunch of their promotional pamphlets and such, had a second set of headlights. However, no trim rings, or buckets were ever created for the lights for some reason, and a set of tin plates were bolted into place.

I got a guy to adapt my personal/company logo and stick it inside a trim ring. I still need to weld tabs of some sort onto the back so that they can be bolted up, but other than that, the hard work is done. Think I'm gonna add a set of HID foglights behind my new rings.

My logo - Local Fiend Armory (Local Fiend being a childhood nickname, applied to me by a fan of Patrick McManus, books that are required reading for people in the PNW).

And the Rings:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:29 pm

This is safe right?

:lol:

Looks like the perches are just going to fit.

Gonna get the old ones cut off the rest of the way, and get the new ones tacked into place tonight.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”