Jeep Gladiator

Post pics and info of your current projects.
79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 pm

those cast perches com off easy with a big sledge much easier than the stamped ones

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:those cast perches com off easy with a big sledge much easier than the stamped ones

I'll give that a try, sounds faster than cutting out every bit of weld.

I got them mostly cut and the wind got real bad. I'm being lazy and will finish it tomorrow.

Glad I didn't tack things yet, I need to check the pinion angle on the old axle, got to thinking that it might not be the same as the 14-bolt.

How do you adjust pinion angle on a leaf spring rig anyway? Wedges? Or do you just get things right to start out with?

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:49 pm

I never set pinion angle until the rig is together. I'd bolt it together with the perches unwelded for now and once it's together set the pinion 2* lower than pointing directly at the output of the t case.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm

White trash wrote:I never set pinion angle until the rig is together. I'd bolt it together with the perches unwelded for now and once it's together set the pinion 2* lower than pointing directly at the output of the t case.

Yeah, that sounds like a really good idea. I got to thinking about things after my last post and realized that it was all going to change again after I bolt up the other transmission.

Maybe I'll drop the T-90 next and start trying to get stuff to fit.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu May 02, 2013 6:49 am

Pulled the old transmission last night. Got the "new" trans loaded in the back of a pickup and am gonna pressure wash it at work today before test installing it tonight.

I dropped the gigantic starter on my head last night. Who knew they ever made starters with only two bolts? :lol:

Anyway, I want to replace the starter with a modern model as it seemed a bit tired before, but mostly cause it made me angry. I see that there are a whole ton of high torque mini starters available for the 350. Anyone here have a preferred brand or model?

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu May 02, 2013 6:36 pm

[quote="mattawajeep"]Pulled the old transmission last night. Got the "new" trans loaded in the back of a pickup and am gonna pressure wash it at work today before test installing it tonight.
[quote]

Why does a new transmission need to be pressure washed?
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu May 02, 2013 6:44 pm

"New" in quotes. It's from the '75 3/4 Chevy parts truck and it's was filthy. I was scarring the workers I was so covered grease after spraying the thing down.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Typically i put std starters in my trucks never had one of thosr mini starters work very kong

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Thu May 02, 2013 9:35 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:Typically i put std starters in my trucks never had one of thosr mini starters work very kong

Hrm, guess I'll have to do some researching. All the ford guys rave about them, and I stuck one in my mustang. Hopefully it'll last, though it's OEM for a later model mustang and not a cheapo ebay model.

Do the more modern 350's use smaller starters? I'm gonna have to go look at my work truck.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Fri May 03, 2013 8:30 am

yes newer rigs do use a smaller starter i want to say they are gear reducted but dont quote me on it been a little while since i had my hands on one

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:06 am

Got me some old school bling for the dash.

These things aren't exactly cheap, and are rather rare, but the cool factor is too high to pass up.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 am

The clock is super cool! NOS?
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:32 pm

iaccocca wrote:The clock is super cool! NOS?

Yup. New in the box, came with all the brackets, bolts, wiring extras and instructions.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Any of the Chevy experts here know anything about what accessories will bolt up to various generations of 350's? Specifically I'd like to get a power steering pump and AC compressor added to my engine.

Could I just pull everything off of the '94 Suburban 350 I've got and swap it onto my earlier block? Water pump, AC, Power Steering, Alt ect...

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:07 pm

On a small block everything is based on the water pump. All the accessories from the later engine will bolt right up to the older block.

I wouldn't recommend the later ac compressor for anything other than pumping r134 it will live a short life as onboard air.

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:09 pm

mattawajeep wrote:Any of the Chevy experts here know anything about what accessories will bolt up to various generations of 350's? Specifically I'd like to get a power steering pump and AC compressor added to my engine.

Could I just pull everything off of the '94 Suburban 350 I've got and swap it onto my earlier block? Water pump, AC, Power Steering, Alt ect...

If you already have it that is what I would use then you only have one belt. And in my opinion its cleaner. Yes it should bolt up. Water pump will need to changed for sure as with the Serp belt system its a counterclock wise.
HE TOOK THE BYPASS?? YEAH ITS A JEEP THING.

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:yes newer rigs do use a smaller starter i want to say they are gear reducted but dont quote me on it been a little while since i had my hands on one

I was told what your saying is true. But you had to get the bolts for it also because there were different
HE TOOK THE BYPASS?? YEAH ITS A JEEP THING.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 pm

White trash wrote:On a small block everything is based on the water pump. All the accessories from the later engine will bolt right up to the older block.

I wouldn't recommend the later ac compressor for anything other than pumping r134 it will live a short life as onboard air.

Cool. That will make things a lot cheaper. I did a bit of looking, and there was a bunch of conflicting info on the net. Lots of confusion out there on SBC generations.

The compressor is going to be used for r123a AC, I'm going to take as much of the AC system out of the suburban as I can. I have an aftermarket evaporator unit, but hopefully I can scavenge for everything else.

Chrispy wrote:If you already have it that is what I would use then you only have one belt. And in my opinion its cleaner. Yes it should bolt up. Water pump will need to changed for sure as with the Serp belt system its a counterclock wise.

Yeah, I thought the serpentine systems ran backwards. A new water pump is probably a good idea, I hope everything else is good. The power steering is going to be used to power my brakes for now.

Thanks guys!

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Just to see what things looks like, and get a few measurements.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:52 pm

So... I am moving the engine forward several inches.

It was all the way back against the firewall, and there are a couple cracks in the factory frame horns.

This is going to mess up both the clutch linkage, and the shifter location. I think the shifter issue is an easy fix - a little torch application and I can bend the thing into a nicer shape.

The clutch on the other hand might be a bit more difficult, it was a badly cobbled together system to start with so I've been thinking about going hydraulic both cause they're nicer to use, and generally easier to setup.

I've already got a hydroboost system and mounts all figured out, which gives me all kinds of room, so I think it won't be that hard to fit in.

And after last week, I've got even more room to work:

Anyone happen to have a vehicle with the stock chevy master cylinder? I'm curious about the rod length and how/where it hooks up to the clutch pedal.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Rod is an eyelet...current rig is in south carolina I believe it was like 9 inch fod to mountingsurface with about 4 inches of throw mine was from 90 v30 crew cab cab and chassis

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:Rod is an eyelet...current rig is in south carolina I believe it was like 9 inch fod to mountingsurface with about 4 inches of throw mine was from 90 v30 crew cab cab and chassis

Cool, I'm gonna bolt up the clutch pedal tomorrow and see if I'm anywhere close to those dimensions. Shouldn't be too hard to get working right, I think the gladiator pedal has a lot of adjustment room.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:40 am

This is what you're looking for. Too bad you weren't in town today since I'm off. :lol:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 am

Haha, yeah, that woulda helped. Thanks for the pic.

So almost exacty 9.5". Is that rod perfectly round? Looks like it would be easy to cut and thread it if I have the need.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Yup it's a solid round rod. I'd cut the head off of a bolt and weld it to the end rather than go through the trouble of threading the rod.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”