Rack Augmentation..

Post pics and info of your current projects.
TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Rack Augmentation..

Postby TJDave » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:23 pm

So, at the PP Christmas party, Lee was very kind to deliver my Moos-Fab rack that I have been wanting for years. I was playing with ideas on how to mount a shovel on it. Previously, I just bungeed a shovel to the spare tire. Quick Fist clamps are great, and can be mounted anywhere.

The thing I like about these racks is that if I don't need it, it is easily removed.

Not happy with the shovel hanging out so far, I had to mess with it. So, I bought some square stock and made an addition. My friend Rick, "Dustman" on the site, came by and helped with the welding. Thank-you!

The parts:

Almost done

Paint, and two sets of Quick Fist clamps and viola!

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Cool! Can you put the shovel on the other side so you can still get it with the cooler tied on there? 8)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm

OldGreen wrote:Cool! Can you put the shovel on the other side so you can still get it with the cooler tied on there? 8)

Stainless bolts and nylock nuts go all the way through the square stock. So, if I have enough room behind the spare, I'll flip them around. Great idea!
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:15 pm

For blacktop driving this looks good. However, it seems like your asking alot from the spare tire carrier.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:02 pm

SPR wrote:For blacktop driving this looks good. However, it seems like your asking alot from the spare tire carrier.

For a stock carrier, it would. However, I have an aftermarket tub mounted carrier. Soon to be had corner armor will make the mounting points even stronger.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:27 pm

Where did you get the Quick Fist from? I know Lee got his from Amazon (like EVERY THING ELSE) :lol:

Is that Lee's or did he just play Brown Santa for you?

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Roman wrote:Where did you get the Quick Fist from? I know Lee got his from Amazon (like EVERY THING ELSE) :lol:

Is that Lee's or did he just play Brown Santa for you?

I get my Quick Fists from Baileys you fool. :-)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Roman wrote:Is that Lee's or did he just play Brown Santa for you?

No comment?

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Lee took care of shipping of the rack to Steve's shop.

I ordered quick fists from 4wheelparts.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Roman wrote:
Roman wrote:Is that Lee's or did he just play Brown Santa for you?

No comment?

Mine still has my snow shoes on it... until Sunday, when they will be on my feet.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

VERSION THREE!

Postby TJDave » Thu May 29, 2014 1:21 pm

SPR wrote:For blacktop driving this looks good. However, it seems like your asking alot from the spare tire carrier.

And Steve was absolutely correct on this one.

Even with the aftermarket tire carrier, and buying a small low profile cooler, it bounced around too much for me on the bumpy trails. So bad that running Rocky Saddle and the Naches Rocks last summer, I had to move the small cooler to the back of the Jeep.

So, I was playing with my rack today before work. Everything is easily removable, and I can go back to the tire mount position for the not so bumpy, top-on, snow runs.

A couple pieces of thick square stock made a support for the rack. Factory hard top bolts secure it to the tub. Slid the tire carrier hoop out, flipped the Kwik Fist clamps around and ta-da. Holds a real cooler too.

Before

Need to paint it and bolt it on but ran out of time.

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu May 29, 2014 4:45 pm

excellent. . .storage is a THING. . . 8)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:25 am

Last year I ran with a tonneau cover over the back of the tub. What a huge improvement keeping piles of dust and junk off my gear in the back.
But, I can't use my tub rails anymore to hold the Moose Rack. While Amazon surfing, I came across a Bestop storage rack. I accidentally pushed the buy button.
Knobs and clamps make it easier to remove than the old set up if I need the bench seat.
I still have the Moose tire rack for more storage if I ever go on an expedition type run.

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:02 am

Looks cool!

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:32 pm

looks very familiar. i shortened my arms so it sits a lot higher.
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Rottwheeler

Re:

Postby Rottwheeler » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:26 am

TJDave wrote:Last year I ran with a tonneau cover over the back of the tub. What a huge improvement keeping piles of dust and junk off my gear in the back.
But, I can't use my tub rails anymore to hold the Moose Rack. While Amazon surfing, I came across a Bestop storage rack. I accidentally pushed the buy button.
Knobs and clamps make it easier to remove than the old set up if I need the bench seat.
I still have the Moose tire rack for more storage if I ever go on an expedition type run.

How's the wrap around wind jammer working for you? Is it fairly air tight and reasonably quiet? Am thinking about getting one... thanks! :cool:
Rottwheeler
White 13' JKU Rubicon, 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex suspension, 3:73s, 35" Nittos on American Racing ATX black faux bead locks... for now.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Re: Re:

Postby TJDave » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:18 am

Rottwheeler wrote:How's the wrap around wind jammer working for you? Is it fairly air tight and reasonably quiet? Am thinking about getting one... thanks! :cool:

I haven't really used it in the rain, or on the hiway yet. It is a little confining. There are only a couple gaps up top by the roll bar. I does fit very tight, so I imagine it would work just fine. I am going to try and get away without using the full soft at all this spring, and just run the windjammer until it warms up a bit more.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re:

Postby scumby » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:19 pm

TJDave wrote:Last year I ran with a tonneau cover over the back of the tub. What a huge improvement keeping piles of dust and junk off my gear in the back.

almost looks like a negative of mine, almost.
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”