You're killing me Brown Santa...

Post pics and info of your current projects.
iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

You're killing me Brown Santa...

Postby iaccocca » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:15 pm

OK, I know that some think that dual shock set-ups are cheesy, but I think that Brown Santa should bring me all 4 of my shocks, not just one. (I promise, just one per corner.) What, is he tricking out the big brown truck with the other three?

Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:12 pm

Blue Santa had to step up... the other three shocks have arrived.

Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Fancy paint... looks good.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 am

What are those going on, Lee? Don't you have OME Nitro's on the LJ already?
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 am

The OMEs have given their all. (The last game of 3 ball was their death knoll.) I am really hoping the, adjustable 9000s eases the LJs transition from tow pig (the pop-up) to wheelin' rig. Nothing wrong with 4 more knobs to play with, right?
But 1st, the wallowed out shock mounts need to be reinforced.

http://www.peakputters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4127&highlight=topless
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 am

Nice workbench Lee. :lol:
Forget your age and live your life!

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:30 pm

I have been reading about those shocks. Very good reviews.

Very interested in how those work for you.

My Skycrapper shocks are too soft and I would love to replace them sometime in the next year.

Those Ranchos or the Bilstein 5100 is what I have been looking at. (More like wishing at this point in time. :oops:)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:34 pm

The only thing that's good about those shocks is their adjustability. It is nice to go from basically no shocks to darned near solid linkage with the turn of the knob.

Dave do yourself a favor and save your nickels and get some bilstiens. :wink:

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Well I put the 5100's on my YJ and let me tell you, are they ever stiff, especially as a daily driver. On the trail they seem to work okay. For a nickle I'd trade them for something softer.
Forget your age and live your life!

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:49 pm

I've ran Rancho 9000s on the Toylet for years. In short, I run them soft on the road, smooth sand, and snow and then stiff for bouncy roads and hill climbs. It's gets kind of goofy when you screw up the adjustments and run some stiff and some soft.... you'll know what I'm talking about once their knobs are covered in grease an dirt. It suspect their are shocks available that automatically adjust for speed/extent of bouce.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:20 am

Danny wrote:Well I put the 5100's on my YJ and let me tell you, are they ever stiff, especially as a daily driver. On the trail they seem to work okay. For a nickle I'd trade them for something softer.

They are overvalued for your super light Jeep.

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:46 am

OldGreen wrote:
Danny wrote:Well I put the 5100's on my YJ and let me tell you, are they ever stiff, especially as a daily driver. On the trail they seem to work okay. For a nickle I'd trade them for something softer.

Precisely. Any size bilstien can be had in minimum 3 different valve combinations. Sounds like the heavy valving was ordered for a lighter 4 popper equipped rig with a soft top. Yea that's gotta suck. :lol:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 pm

White trash wrote:
OldGreen wrote:

Precisely. Any size bilstien can be had in minimum 3 different valve combinations. Sounds like the heavy valving was ordered for a lighter 4 popper equipped rig with a soft top. Yea that's gotta suck. :lol:

Valved. . .not valued. . .at any rate, that is the case! If you order 5100s from most places, they are valved for a 1 ton truck. The lighter valving is bueno for a Jeep, but you have to order them from someone that gives you the option. Polyperformance, eshocks, etc.

However. . .if you are going to buy high end shocks, it isn't THAT much of a stretch to get 7100s, or fox or king 2.0. Buy them from a shop that knows what's what and tell them exactly how you intend to use them along with the front/rear weights of your rig and spring rates if you have them. ORW, Polyperformance, etc. can hook that all up.

Having said that, most people don't need shocks like that. . .I do. My 2.2s work great, but they are not high quality so they blow out all the time with the way I drive. I typically keep a warranty replacement on the shelf. . .while I save my sheckles for a set of Fox's. The reality is that even life long wheelers have mostly never ridden in a rig with really good shocks set up properly. It is a life changing experience. :lol:

That typed. . .NICE SHOCKS LEE! You now have even more switches and levers!!!

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”