The New Ride

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Casey

Postby Casey » Tue May 28, 2013 4:42 pm

Yah, i agree that its a little low, but I probably wont be doing anything too crazy with it, main use is to just get it out of my cargo area. when we were testing flex and angles it did get close to hitting but that was going across a few trails, and it only got close when I started going up the side. If I were to come to a ledge big enough to hit it idk if id want to take this across it anyways haha

the main reason I left it low like it is and at no angle is so I can open my rear window without opening up the tire carrier, also good view out of the rear view mirror and backing up, so it was either this or good departure angle and i chose the this haha

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed May 29, 2013 6:18 am

Kudos to you for thinking it through and building for your intended usage! Don't ever feel bad for making it work for you!
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Casey

Postby Casey » Wed May 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks!

eventually if it ever turns into a wheeler first rig and not a daily driver I might go a different route, but for now I am happy with it

Casey

Postby Casey » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:21 pm

So after driving for awhile and letting the lift settle I'm happy with the ride and feel of the suspension.

The only negatives are some suspicious noises, one front one rear, working on pinpointing them now. But the other negative is bump steer. since its a daily driver I want to fix this!

Just installed a "heavy duty" steering stabilizer and noticed a small difference driving but the bump steer was still just as bad.

I was looking over everything and all the bushings seemed okay, I don't no how bad a bad bushing would affect this though.

What would be the next step to rid bump steer?

Keep in mind the only component changed from the stock suspension was an adjustable track bar

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:46 am

Did you have an alignment done after the lift?

Not sure how you would get bump steer if the trac bar/steering rods are still at the same angles as stock. Was the upper track bar pivot point relocated? Any bolts loosen up on you?
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Casey

Postby Casey » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:26 am

I did get it aligned after i put the lift on and was told the track bar was adjusted right

No the pivot point was not relocated, just a beefier adjustable track bar, and I did go through and check all the bolts to torque them to spec and they were all very tight.

I was told getting another alignment when the suspension settled was recommended and i think its about time to take it in, its been about 2500 miles since it lifted.

i know that with a solid axle there will always be bumpsteer but i know it can be pretty close to unnoticeable and it is far from that now.

from a little bit of research i think adjusting the track bar is the best next step, hopefully that works!

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:16 pm

I forget what size lift you put on but too much without lowering the tracbar can sui that theassociated angle of the trac bar will change the way up and down pushes the axle that being said I have added bump steer to my truck with 2.5 inch spacers

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”