Any good Jeep repair/maintenance shops in Tri-Cities?

Post pics and info of your current projects.
bradfordbrian

Any good Jeep repair/maintenance shops in Tri-Cities?

Postby bradfordbrian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:47 pm

The PO of my Cherokee had taken it to Northwest Fabrication out in Finley. Not likely I'll take it there, the work wasn't that great. Wrong spark plug wires (they'd put in an Accell kit from AZ!), wrong size air filter, shoddy water pump (that I'm going to have to replace, it's howling like a ford steering pump), and the transmission shifter/case cable is maladjusted.

So unless the owner comes up and offers free labor to straighten out his shoddyness, no way will I go there.

So I need some recommendations for alternatives. I'd like to have personal access to the vehicle while it's being worked on. I'd also like to know if anybody knows of a place that allows rental of hoist time for a reasonable rate.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Sounds expensive to have a shop do that stuff. Everything you mentioned can be done in a driveway with simple hand tools. One of the nice things about jeeps is all of the online resources. You can find detailed walkthroughs on everything you want to do. If you have questions I'm quite sure someone on here can answer.

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:12 pm

i might be able to help do it all.. usually do the stuff when i am off work.
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

bradfordbrian

Postby bradfordbrian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:26 pm

Yeah, the stuff I listed could be done in a driveway, with varying levels of patience and skill. I live in an apartment complex that is so obsessive they freak out if they see your hood open, which is unfortunate.

There's lots of other stuff that I haven't mentioned, such as the rear main seal, the shocks, headlight/parking light/turn signal harness, door locks, blah blah blah.

As for the water pump, I've seen youtube videos on how to do it. Not something I can do by myself with any level of confidence, because among other things, I don't have the extensive tool set to do it with.

I've got a fair bit of experience with starting an in-depth project and being unable to complete it in a timely manner because something stupid broke along the way, which I did not have the tools on-hand to fix.

When I have the equipment available, I can do just about anything. I've taken automotive systems in college (GRCC), and while there, did a brake job, replaced a power steering pump and hoses on a Lincoln Mk7 (not an easy task), spliced in a set of fog lamps, and some other fun stuff to it.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:09 am

Jerry does good work: http://affordableautoandrvrepair.com/

He is right behind Harbor Freight in Richland.

If you want to do it on a Saturday, call me up and you can come use my shop at my house. No vehicle hoist, but I have lots of other jacks/hoists/tools you can use. I just expect that anything that gets broken gets replaced, and the shop is left clean. 509-947-7504
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”