Don's Check List

Post pics and info of your current projects.
mtnbound

Postby mtnbound » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:02 am

You could always use the redneck bend tech. Get a long piece of ceiling grid wire and bend it around to make your template. Then bend the tube to match :D
John
'87 Sami

www.wazuks.com

Don

Postby Don » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Well, my rear bumper project has turned into pretty much a rear suspension rebuild :oops: Rear spring hangers were hanging by a hope and a prayer, so they got cut off and I cleaned up the frame horns. Leaf packs are out and getting torn apart tomorrow to pull a leaf. Not sure which on yet ... Got the bumper caps welded up and ground tonight. That came out better than I expected. I love the back of the jeep being completely flush.

Tomorrow I'll mock up the repositioned spring hangers to correct the shackle angle, and hopefully get that welded on. I'll get the bumper ground down, D-Rings welded on, and maybe weld the bumper on if all goes well!

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 pm

As long as those rear springs are apart they need another full length leaf to support the main looking at the S shaped packs.... If you don't have a leaf that'll work I'll be home all weekend and most of tomorrow and I have LOTS of leaves that'd work for you. :wink:

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:23 am

Don wrote: I'm like a retarded monkey when it comes to benders.

X2 without bendtech.

If you have some dims, I can get you the spec. sheets to bend them.

Don

Postby Don » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:35 am

White trash wrote:As long as those rear springs are apart they need another full length leaf to support the main looking at the S shaped packs.... If you don't have a leaf that'll work I'll be home all weekend and most of tomorrow and I have LOTS of leaves that'd work for you. :wink:

Hmmm ... that is a good point. I have the waggies in the rear and pulled the 2nd to the bottom spring. I'm just trying to loose maybe an 1-1.5" to get it to sit level ... I'll try to swing by your place later this afternoon. Maybe with Jeep in tow.

Don

Postby Don » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:36 am

bobracing wrote:
Don wrote: I'm like a retarded monkey when it comes to benders.

X2 without bendtech.

If you have some dims, I can get you the spec. sheets to bend them.

That would be awesome! I'll get the dim's hashed out next week!

Thanks.

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:46 am

Don wrote:
White trash wrote:As long as those rear springs are apart they need another full length leaf to support the main looking at the S shaped packs.... If you don't have a leaf that'll work I'll be home all weekend and most of tomorrow and I have LOTS of leaves that'd work for you. :wink:

Hmmm ... that is a good point. I have the waggies in the rear and pulled the 2nd to the bottom spring. I'm just trying to loose maybe an 1-1.5" to get it to sit level ... I'll try to swing by your place later this afternoon. Maybe with Jeep in tow.

Bring it on over, I'll help ya get the measurements for james too.

Don

Postby Don » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Hey, sorry i didn't make it over there. Ran down to the wire getting it ready to go for the snow run. Maybe next weekend I'll swing by.

Don

Postby Don » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks to Jobin for helping me get things wrapped up tonight. The "rear bumper" project turned in to frame repair/spring hanger moving/ body mount install/ exhaust hanger replace. It was all MUCH needed work. Also finished the fuel cell enclosure and did some welding to repair the steering box braces (time for a MORE mount though ...)

Here's a pic. I'm really happy with how the bumper came out:Image

Don

Postby Don » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:55 am

I'm happy to say the Jeeps official Inaugural run when AWESOME. No mechanical issues what so ever. It actually seemed to loosen up and run better as the day went on. Even got to test out my weld on the back bumper ... not for pulling me out. I volunteered to be a winch point ;) Only issue I had was I lost beads on both front tires. That was mostly due to a dumb operator.

Now, onward and upward! Next step ... cage! As if I wasn't sold before, Jose had to do a little demonstration to prove the importance of a cage ;)

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:35 pm

So ... I've finally resolved the issue I've been talking about for YEARS. Picked up a sport cage tonight. It's an OR Fab kit, all welded up and ready to go. Think I'm going to make a few additions (A pillar legs, dash bar, CB mount, ect) and get it in this weekend! This has been way too long coming!

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:14 pm

You get it local?

Don

Postby Don » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Came from Spokane. Ran to Ritzville tonight to get it.

Don

Postby Don » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Installing the new cage:

Something is missing? :?

In for a test fit. I like how it looks!

Its back out now to get cleaned up and painted. In the future I'll be adding some more tube to it.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:23 pm

Do those front tubes got to the floor?
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Don

Postby Don » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:47 pm

No, they tie into the the dash/ door frame. Ive read and seen pictures of all the pro's and con's of this style of kit. I have a few reinforcements planned, but I feel that for what I'll be doing it will be plenty safe. Plus its nice to not lose any floor space.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:50 pm

That area is probably stronger than the floor. . .especially on an old CJ.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”