Don's Check List

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Don

Don's Check List

Postby Don » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:20 am

Well, I might as well put up the list for all to see to motivate my a$$ to get this thing finished!

-. CAGE!
1. Fix cooling problem ~ done for now
2. Square tube front driveshaft
3. Weld on new shock mounts, check length, new shocks
4. SS extended brake lines - already purchased, needs installed
5. Reconfigure fuel tank ~ in progress
6. Finish raised rear deck ~ in progress
7. Finish SOA stuff - grind in u-bolt channels into diff, spring clamps ... ect
8. Install rock sliders ~ in progress
9. Figure out rear end problem
10. Rebuild rear driveshaft ~ done
11. Traction/ Anti wrap bar

Shake down run!

For those who don't know here's some background:

'77 CJ7, 258, headers, cam, decked, intake, mc2100 carb, D44/M20 from waggy, outboarded spring mounts, 4.88 gears, SOA, XJ front springs, YJ rear, cross over steering ... Kinda crazy for my first venture .... hope it all works!

Here's the latest picture I have:

Image[/b]
Last edited by Don on Wed May 09, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:42 am

That'll work :thu:
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:05 am

umm . . .dude. Nice Jeep and all.. .but your list is wrong.

#1: Roll Cage

Seriously.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:27 am

Mmmm? Good point...Listen to the youngster.
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Don

Postby Don » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:32 am

OldGreen wrote:umm . . .dude. Nice Jeep and all.. .but your list is wrong.

#1: Roll Cage

Seriously.

Check! ... Anyone have a bender?

Actually a bender was on my list to buy within the next couple months. I'm planning on a cage, tube fenders, stinger, spare tire carrier, traction bars ... ect.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:42 am

Hey Don...after this weekend you should have all the incentive you need.

Got a top, you're gonna get wet Dude!!

And last but not gone unnoticed....what's with the BLING!!!! :!: :!:

Don

Postby Don » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:46 am

Danny wrote:Hey Don...after this weekend you should have all the incentive you need.

Got a top, you're gonna get wet Dude!!

And last but not gone unnoticed....what's with the BLING!!!! :!: :!:

Got a top ... actually toby's old top.

What bling ? :lol:

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:46 am

Hey, there's nothing wrong with aluminum rims! :D

Don

Postby Don » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:58 am

As per Danny

Got a top .... and less bling :( ... :P

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:01 am

Ya know, before too long, this bunch will have enough combined equipment and knowledge ( :? ) to build a whole rig from scratch :idea:
Dave

Quote:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:08 am

Before long?

LOL. . .I have literally turned every bolt on my Jeep and Joser has laid down most every bead. The only thing original on it is the transfer case and I wouldn't change that unless somebody gifted me an atlas or a stak. Of course, it is broken all the time and runs like $h!t, but that is beside the point.

OK< starting another thread just for fun.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:20 am

Don, the crome door accodaments (like that) have got to go!! And do we see a uniform paint job in it's future?

And Joser, as was just experienced crome rims will come off, besides, they can't be whacked back into shape like steel.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:28 am

I still have yet to smuck a rim like that!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:41 am

Roman wrote:I still have yet to smuck a rim like that!

Don't be so hard on yourself. . .you try awefully hard. Your day will come.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:50 am

Thank you for your beleif in my potential

Don

Postby Don » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:36 am

Danny wrote:Don, the crome door accodaments (like that) have got to go!! And do we see a uniform paint job in it's future?

Ha Ha ... ya I know. They are just coving up crappy body work until I get my custom rockers on!

Ya ... eventually it will all be the same color. I'm thinking either leave it black, or paint it silver with a blaze orange cage ... we'll see

Don

Postby Don » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Roman, the thermostat would have been the easy answer to my over heating problem ... but it is in the right direction.

I'm going to scratch the e-fan idea, now that I've seen really how important battery life is ...

Another issue may be the water pump. Not know where or what the engine I have came from, it may have a reverse rotation water pump on it :?:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:21 pm

#1: Are you in the garage now working on this pile?
#2: Pull the Water pump and take a gander at it.
#3: The 258 should run cool with a stock 4 bladed fan and a 2 core radiator. . .like no worries at all.
#4: MC2100 means that you spend too much time on the internet or you bought it that way. Yes, it is a decent carb, but so was the stock carter according to some people. The 258 needs either a Rochester Dual Jet (old style from the late 60s. . .2G is the model) OR propane OR GM TBI fuel injection ala www.affordable-fuel-injection.com...but the bestest would be propane because it would match the increased compression from your decked block AND it would really simplify your fuel tank mounting issue. Plus, you could run a BBQ on the trail. Fuel injection is a bitch with a lumpy cam and hi compression, but you could make it work.
#5: Is it locked? If not, bust out the wallet or the welder!!!
#6: I eLove the blingin' late model CJ doors
#7: Don't let anyone bother you about the blingin' wheels. I think they look cooooool. . .

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:26 pm

Nice looking project Don. Maybe I missed it, but I did not see an anti
axle-wrap bar on your list? You will likely need one with the spring over. Google "Bambar" for a good setup. Lastly, how big of tube are you planning to bend?

steve
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:27 pm

Funny how Jimmy mentions BBQ. Always thinking about food :o ...We got the Rochester for 35 bucks, and what little we've been able to run the thing, seems like it's gonna work good. Up till the 2-3 shift, Steve said it was pulling pretty hard.
Dave

Quote:

Don

Postby Don » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:09 pm

OldGreen wrote:#1: Are you in the garage now working on this pile?
#2: Pull the Water pump and take a gander at it.
#3: The 258 should run cool with a stock 4 bladed fan and a 2 core radiator. . .like no worries at all.
#4: MC2100 means that you spend too much time on the internet or you bought it that way. Yes, it is a decent carb, but so was the stock carter according to some people. The 258 needs either a Rochester Dual Jet (old style from the late 60s. . .2G is the model) OR propane OR GM TBI fuel injection ala www.affordable-fuel-injection.com...but the bestest would be propane because it would match the increased compression from your decked block AND it would really simplify your fuel tank mounting issue. Plus, you could run a BBQ on the trail. Fuel injection is a bitch with a lumpy cam and hi compression, but you could make it work.
#5: Is it locked? If not, bust out the wallet or the welder!!!
#6: I eLove the blingin' late model CJ doors
#7: Don't let anyone bother you about the blingin' wheels. I think they look cooooool. . .

1. Funny ... yes I was in the garage working on my pile :D I'm waiting for RVT to dry, then put the antifreeze back in.
2. Pulled the water pump. It appears it is the right direction. It's tight and clean. I replaced the 3/4" hose that connects the upper intake to the thermostat housing. I believe I have those lines routed correctly ... out of water pump, through heater core, into back of intake, out front of intake, into thermostat housing.
3. It holds at 190 (thermostat temp) for a long time, then it will jump to about 220. Seems to want to maintain at about 220 - 225 :shock: It doesn't have a stock fan, it has a cheese bag Schucks "performance" fan, and no fan shroud. I think those may be most of my problem. The other thing that is not helping my situation is probably 25% of the fins on my radiator were pushed over. I got most of them kinda straightend back out. Who knows, I may have not gotten the system completely burped either. You would think that air would eventually work out. I currently have the thermostat pulled to see if that is having any affect on things.
4. Yes, I got the the MC2100 thing from the internet. But to defend myself, I'm a born and raised Ford guy and have delt with the MC2100 quite a bit, so that's why I jumped on the band wagon. I'm going to look into propane. I had that on the pickup I drove through high school, and loved it. I only pulled the system because the 40gal tank was last certified in 1976 and the feed stores stopped filling it for me. I kick myself that I threw that system in the back of the pickup when I sold it.
5. Not locked yet. Thought I had a line on a Lok-rite. That fell through. Welder time for the rear. I was going to see if I could talk Jose into helping me with that. I have been eyeing an Aussie locker for the front. Gotta save some more pennies for that.
6. You can thank Toby for those doors 8)

Oh ya ... still have to build my square tube driveshaft :lol:

When I pulled the core support I got a little over zealous with the air gun and tried pulling the rest of the body mount bolts, since I have new bushing already. Every single internal nut broke , so I've got some work to do on that now. But this will give me an opportunity to finally get my rockers on, and a reason to rebuild my rear body mounts.

Don

Postby Don » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Screaming Toylet wrote:Nice looking project Don. Maybe I missed it, but I did not see an anti
axle-wrap bar on your list? You will likely need one with the spring over. Google "Bambar" for a good setup. Lastly, how big of tube are you planning to bend?

steve

Steve,

Yes I was figuring on building a anti-wrap bar. I am planning building one that goes forward to a cross member with a shackle. I've already got bushings and shackle, just need to build the bar. I'll have to look again at the Bambar now that I have raised my fuel tank.

I'd like to build my cage out of 1 3/4. I was looking at benders today, I may order one after the next round of company bonuses come out in May :D

Don

Postby Don » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:22 pm

Hmm ... this looks interesting: http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html#JEEP

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:48 pm

definatly where its at propane seems to be one of the best things, yea you loose some power but people haev had huge success with their kits run great and you cant loose that fuel pump

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:54 pm

Yeah, that's the one. The cool thing is that it is THE BEST at running at wierd angles.

A couple of other things, loose the prestolite distributor and get a Duraspark set up out of an 80's Jeep. After that, get a Ford 300 I6 cap adapter (mid 80s) and cap and a Ford epoxy coil (mid 80s ford truck). That, along with ditching the stock carb, is what did the most for me when I had my 258.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”