Yet another slow build thread. . .

Post pics and info of your current projects.
OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 am

Major Progress. . .

First off, 98% of the "Power Train" stuff is done. New PS Pump and lines, New belt, New COMPLETE exhaust system from Manifold to Tip, Rear axle swap is done, all plumbing (minus the TX cooler) is done.

AND IT RUNS. . .Still have to lift the front and do the front axle swap (for the locker and big shafts) but it is mobile to turn around, drive in the driveway, etc.

Have to use your imagination on the front end/rake situation, but It is certainly getting there quickly now:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:30 am

Pretty major progress. . .

Rubicon Express arms installed along with an adjustable track bar, a locked front end and my blingin' fox resivoir shocks. Using progressive coils from a ZJ w/the snow plow package and some spacers to get about 3" of lift. It is raked a little but it will level out once it is loaded up. Also got the tail lights mounted and wired up along with some of the sheetmetal temped into place.

My pics from yesterday didn't auto upload. . .hmmmmm. . .anywho, I used the CJ Tail Lights I got from SPR. If/when I knock them off, I'll go to some flush mount units, but I couldn't resist the nostalgia.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:03 am

Nice!! I'm curious to see how it works.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Huh, it looks like a vehicle now. All the pics I've been seeing of the back end were really starting to make me wonder what you were building. :lol:

Looks good.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:21 am

Will she see the Rubicon this month?
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:47 am

Yessir.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:30 am

UPdate:

Winch/bumper, battery tray, windshield squirters, Passenger spring hanger brace, and a whole big list of other shiz is DONE.

It is now easier to say what needs to be done before the maiden voyage:

1. Finish Rockers and PS seat mount
2. Install/plumb TX cooler and gauge
3. Finish up the sheetmetal and load deck (just need to cut 3x pieces
4. CB/Stereo. . .and some minor other wiring/clean up projects
5. Get windshield installed

Will be done by tomorrow eve. "Done". . .no, not really.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:37 am

The road test revealed a few other issues.

New PS Pump, New Water Pump, New T-Stat and new lower radiator hose brought me back in time to where I should have bee Saturday morning, but it was noon on Sunday.

l guess that's why we road test!!! At any rate, I got it out on the road and it performed well. Still needs one more fab project tonight before it is ready for the long road trip, but the deal is MADE and it will be ready to Rock on Wednesday at 4PM.

Cruised over to TDub's for a consult:

Then I took it out Dallas and around to Clearwater on the freeway. The speed was a non-issue. With the stock gears, it is still a dog at slower speeds but it cruises at 70, no problemo. . .Still having trouble getting used to the automatic. Speaking of which:

I mounted and wired up the cooler. This uses the circuit that was originally used for the rear window wiper. So, it is on a switch on the dash. I ran out of "neighbor politeness" before I had a chance to finish the plumbing, but all the bits are on premise. It is spaced off of the bulkhead buy just under 2" and the fan is sucking backwards. Works GREAT. Can't wait to get it plumbed and get the temp gauge in.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:41 am

May want to consider throwing some mud flaps on it for the trip down and back to avoid giving them any extra reasons to pull you over.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:44 am

Lurch wrote:May want to consider throwing some mud flaps on it for the trip down and back to avoid giving them any extra reasons to pull you over.

Czek. 8)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:51 pm

U boys are spending too much time together....folks are starting to wonder??
Forget your age and live your life!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:31 am

Cooler is plumbed and functional. I didn't get time to put the temp gauge in so that will be another day. . .

MORE importantly:

Rockers/Rock sliders and passenger seat mounts are IN and tied into the structure after a massive thrash fest at TW's last night. (Danny, that was the FIRST time a wrench or spark was thrown at this rig outside of my driveway/garage.

We also got the rear window frame burned in and the mounts for the Tupperware. I still need to figure the CB and stereo situation and do something about the dang mud flaps to at least show some effort to the five oh.

Sadly, all my LEDs and my fancy backup camera are going to likely stay in the box until after the 'Con. . .le sigh. . .

I snapped one pic on the way out of the house this AM of the rockers. . .it sucks but. ..here it is anyway.

MEET CHUCK!! (Cherokee/Truck)

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:47 am

Just use self tappers to the rear bumper to attach the flaps. You can fill the holes and make it pretty later.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:09 am

Lurch wrote:Just use self tappers to the rear bumper to attach the flaps. You can fill the holes and make it pretty later.

Don't you go calling Chuck pretty. . .or even potentially pretty. . .

I'll screw it on later today. . .self tappers.. .good call. I will got get some 1/4" ones and some washers. I only have #10s on hand.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:50 am

This is all I have to add...

Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:53 am

That pretty much sums it up. . .I am a little cleaner but I still feel just like that. :lol:

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:31 am

tobyw wrote:This is all I have to add...

Wrenchfest? Where's the beer? :D
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:33 am

The beer was of the "root" variety. . . :lol:

After work, I re-routed the exhaust up and over the rear axle. It helps the resonating on the freeway x10. I can actually hear the tires now.

Then.....

Mudflaps went on after the Dust Devils game last night circa 11PM. They are bolted to 1" angle and then attached to the bumper extensions with u-bolts so I can take them off when I get to the trail head while airing down. V2.0 will use square u-bolts, but in the 11th hour, you use what you've got. . .and they are round. . .:lol:

I need to figure out how to attach my pool floatie. Ran out of time to fab the connection between the window frame and the roof so the floatie prevents roof buffetting. Very well. . .I might add. . .but it wants to come loose.

Other items to do prior to launch on the maiden voyage:
Hose Clamps on the gas filler/vent lines. Not as big of a deal as you would think. They are ON there even without clamps. . .but it is going to get warm outsidee. 8)
New wipers and washer fluid. . .they are sitting in the passenger footwell now. .
I will install the stereo and the CB if I get time. . .or I might do that on the way/in camp. . .

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:33 pm

This all reminds me of, well, rumble goat racing at it's best....
Forget your age and live your life!

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Danny wrote:

This all reminds me of, well, rumble goat racing at it's best....

Where's the dam like button when you need it?

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am

So. . I lifted it some more and quickly found out that I am damn lucky that I made it home from the Rubicon. As it turns out, my "free" driveline was from a 96+ XJ with the sealed output transfer case. That means that it is almost 2" shorter. I realized this when I backed up the driveway with the new lift and the driveline fell out. O U T out. . .

Anyway, a quick trip through the pile lead me to an actual correct driveline. Only vibes are around 30mph but I am still seriously considering an SYE just so I can carry one spare rather than. . .well. . I guess I would only care one regardless, but I would be nice to be able to replace front OR rear with the same one. . .

Pic w/new lift.

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:28 pm

thing came together pretty good. i really want to build a 2 door xj, think its time for the JK to go lol.
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Quick Update since I haven't posted in this thread for a while.

Chuck, as this one is known, drives out on the road better than most cars I have been in. No OD since I still have the 3.55s, but 4.56 will happen over the winter. Cruises at any speed. I have had it to 80 but only passing someone. 75 is a GREAT cruising speed. No driveline vibes with the new one. I did break another one by landing on a rock at Funny Rocks, but David hooked me up with one and a spare.

Off Road, it does really, really well. Pretty much point and shoot on dry trails but the front weight bias is a little extreme unless I'm loaded up with camping gear. No bid deal. In the dunes, it is a hero EXCEPT that the front Fox's stack up in the big bumps. I ordered new valve stacks for them and hope to get them in before the next Juniper run.

I have been driving it to work every day and I am getting together a list of little rattles and squeeks to fix but nothing major.

Now. . .what's next?

In addition to the revalve, I have my rear window materials on the way. I'm using 3/16 lexan with foam tape as a gasket so I can remove it. Love an open Jeep. In advance of that, I am putting in the load decks and finishing sealing off the cab. The BIG pain right now is driving it in the rain. . .I get SOAKED with the spray from the rear tires (no inner fenders yet). So all of that is getting handled. Most of it this weekend. The Lexan will be here on Wednesday or so and I want to get everything else tidy before it arrives. . .OH> > >and the rear wiring harness. I am redoing it with bulkhead connectors. Easy enought. . .

and. . .

I will be mounting my back-up camera and monitor along with an LED backup light and a couple of forward facing LEDs as well.

So. . .just a few tweeks and it will be ready for a vision quest. . . :wink: :twisted:

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:10 pm

OldGreen wrote:ready for a vision quest. . . :wink: :twisted:

8) 8) 8) 8)
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:28 am

Progress!!

Rear window is in along with a new cargo deck/basement. The rear window is 3/16 Lexan. When it arrived, I was VERY nervous that it would buffet because it is so flexy.

To mount it after it was cut out (at Toby's with a skill saw), I drilled and tapped holes in the window frame with matched holes in the window. Boyscout helped me put on some 3/8" foam tape and we finished it with 1/4-20 screws.

I still have the two upper bulkheads to install before I can completely seal the cab. . .HOWEVER, I am thrilled to report that the rear window works perfectly. I imagine that it would need more closely spaced fasteners to be 100% water tight, but we will see!!

Baby steps. . .

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”