Transmission rebuild

Post pics and info of your current projects.
tweeve

Transmission rebuild

Postby tweeve » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:58 pm

So my transmission has been going out for about 2+ years now. Reverse has slowly been dying on me, about two months ago it finally went. The clutch packs just refuse to engage or something. (half the tear down is to find the problem)

Finally today Optiskate and I got around to actually getting the jeep apart. We got the drive shafts off, and were working on the exhaust to try and get it off when the storm blew though so we quit and went inside for dinner while we waited out the storm. We got inside about 2 minutes before it hit hard. After the storm cleared Optiskate and I went and finished pulling the exhaust system.

Tomorrow we hope to get the transmission dropped so we can start taking it apart for the rebuild.

I will post up some pictures tomorrow when its light out.

tweeve

Postby tweeve » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:35 pm

My jeep, today, exhaust pull, drive lines pulled.

Pile of parts pulled off the jeep

my 5.5 month old Irish Wolfhound trying to help me pull off the rear drive shaft.

tweeve

Postby tweeve » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 pm

ok I need some help, Optiskate and I could not figure out how to undo these linkages so we could drop the transmission. Any help would be great.

We got the one link out that goes to the transfer case, but the rest we arnt sure how to get out without screwing up the adjustments for the other links.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:53 am

There are only two to remove.

1. The lever that goes in to the transfer case itself. I'm guessing this is the one you already got.

2. The bracket that is held on with two of the tranny to transfer case studs.

tweeve

Postby tweeve » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:22 pm

So my dad and I finally got around to working on the jeep again today.
Got off all the hoses, plugs, and bolts that were holding it on.

But the damn thing still wont come off. We took a tow rope and tied it around it so we could pull it back from behind the jeep, and I was under the jeep and behind the transmission pulling and shaking it to try and break it loose. We got it pulled back so the alignment bolts show but its still getting hung up on the torque converter.

Any tricks to get if off the torque converter or do we just keep pulling and wiggling it back and forth till it breaks loose.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:26 pm

converter unbolted from the flexplate?

tweeve

Postby tweeve » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:53 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:converter unbolted from the flexplate?

yep

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:06 pm

The snout of the converter is stuck in the end of the crank. Tip the engine down so the trans will come down off the converter with it still stuck on the crank. Once the trans is out you can pry the converter off.

tweeve

Postby tweeve » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:42 pm

well I finally got it out, my brother came by after work and helped me.

Stupid me I missed 2 bolts holding the damn thing on. The two bolts right below the inverse torx. They were covered in grime and hard to see. So once we got those two off, the transmission came out easy.

We had to jack up the front end of the jeep more though to get it out. 2 4x4s under the floor jack and the floor jack under the front diff let the front end come up enough for my brother to pull out the transmission.

Tomorrow I am going to pressure wash it off to get off the grime off it, then I will start the tear down of the transmission.

tweeve

Postby tweeve » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:27 pm

well I got the transmission mostly clean. I would say about 80 - 90% of the grime is off.

And here was my helper, my 105lbs, 7 month old, Irish Wolfhound, Tank

I figure if I cant get the transmission fixed I can hook a harness up to Tank and have him pull me up the trails.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”