Car Hauler - Build or buy?

Post pics and info of your current projects.
mattawajeep

Car Hauler - Build or buy?

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:37 pm

I've been offered a set of heavy duty trailer axles. Probably won't know anything about them until later today, though they did look pretty solid.

I'm going to need a car hauler when I get the Gladiator finished, and at the moment it would be kind of nice to have one right now. The tow truck at work is down, the Gladiator has turned into a complete frame off restoration, and I'd like to be able to haul pieces of the truck around mattawa so that I can get things painted.

Anyone looked into building a trailer? Think it can be done for cheaper than buying one off of craigslist? Have any thoughts on brake systems, and what type of tires/wheels would be the best? It seems like most people go through trailer tires like they go through gas, which has me thinking that there may be more advantages to a purpose built trailer than just build cost.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:57 pm

i think cost comes out close. I have about $300 in a trailer that my willys is sitting on Its a camper frame with thick 2x12's on it bought off craigslist as is for 200, put another axle in if for 40 bucks out of a scrap yard trailer because of a bent one, however it needs a complete redo so its a better trailer ill cut it down some probably and build a better frame for the deck and some drive over fenders. You end up with something better for you but the cost is a wash

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Are you contemplating a dedicated "car hauler", or a flat deck that will haul a car that everyone refers to as a car hauler? If I had the time and room to store it, I'd love to build a true car hauler that was little more than a pair of axles and two tracks of expanded metal. I bet it could weigh in well under a thousand pounds and really ease the strain on the tow pig(s)...

With the cost of raw materials these days, it's difficult to justify a build IMO. That said, as you noted, tires are a HUGE part of a successful relationship with your trailer, and most mfg's use the absolute cheapest tires they can find, sometimes not even matched sets or rated for the load of the axles :shock: Moral of the story is, don't forget to factor in a set of good tires if you plan to buy a new trailer, as it's likely to need them.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

benw

Postby benw » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:13 pm

I've built 2 with my brothers help. Both times I basically got the axles and the half the steel for free. Still wound up spending $1000 - $1500 (per trailer) on the rest of the stuff. It takes a lot of time to do it right. These are nice trailers not the average hack job.

If you're doing it to save money it's not worth it. If you're doing it so that the trailer can be exactly how you want it then it's probably worth it.

benw

Postby benw » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:51 pm

If you can go with 16" wheels then lt235/85r16 truck tires make excellent trailer tires and it's usually fairly easy to find an decent set of used tires.

For the brakes I recommend going with 6-lug or 8-lug axles so you get the 12" brakes and bigger bearings.

pascoscout

Postby pascoscout » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:27 pm

To do it right you need to make jigs to hold everything straight while you weld it all together. Axels are honestly the cheaper part compared to the steel and the decking. I've built a few (for myself and for others) and the only reason I'd even consider doing it again is if I couldn't buy what I wanted.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Sounds like I have a bunch of research to do, if the materials are super expensive I may just buy one instead. The axles I can get for free are 5 lug, 3500 lb gvw with electric brakes.

I was just thinking of a flatbed, but I do like the idea of expanded metal tracks and light weight. Gonna see if I can't find plans for something like that.

I'll have to see, I just wish the used ones were actually selling for less than the new ones.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:37 pm

The expanded metal 2 track design sounds good in theory but I don't thing you would gain enough to make it worth it. I have used my trailer for way more then just hauling vehicles. Not to mention I don't think it would make that much difference when actually towing it.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:15 am

Lurch wrote:The expanded metal 2 track design sounds good in theory but I don't thing you would gain enough to make it worth it. I have used my trailer for way more then just hauling vehicles. Not to mention I don't think it would make that much difference when actually towing it.

That's a good point, especially if you're hauling the thing with a full size truck built for towing. I imagine the gains would be greater if you were hauling with something wimpy.

Did some searching online, and I'm finding lots of plans you can pay for, not much free stuff. I'm thinking I might stop by Ranch and Home the next time I'm in town and taking a bunch of measurements off of whatever trailer looks simplest to build.

These things don't really look like they'll be that big of a pain to build. Especially if you get all of the main pieces cut at the metal shop. I'm not that concerned about needing jigs. I've always had good luck welding this kind of stuff together by going slow and making sure the whole structure is tacked together well and square before you do any serious burning.

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Pretty good deal for a heavy duty car trailer.
http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/4167419422.html
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Jafo wrote:Pretty good deal for a heavy duty car trailer.

That's a better starting point than most of what I've seen for sale. Though it looks heavy with that solid metal deck. Wonder what the axles are rated for.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:44 pm

mattawajeep wrote:
Jafo wrote:Pretty good deal for a heavy duty car trailer.

That's a better starting point than most of what I've seen for sale. Though it looks heavy with that solid metal deck. Wonder what the axles are rated for.

Looks like mobile home axles due to the 2 piece wheels. Looks heavy!
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:45 pm

So, the above craigslist trailer has 5-lug mobile home axles which I know nothing about. Anyone know what's up with those?

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:33 pm

I know jose runs them on his trailer, there might be others.

WRWP360

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Just did a little searchin and found out that if they are 3" they are 3500lb, 4" they are 5000lb and if they are dexter axles they are 5200lb.

WRWP360

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Jafo wrote:I know jose runs them on his trailer, there might be others.

And it will bounce your kidneys out empty...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:01 pm

I've used jose' trailer and didn't notice, I did relieve myself before leaving though. :roll:

WRWP360

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Lurch wrote:The expanded metal 2 track design sounds good in theory but I don't thing you would gain enough to make it worth it. I have used my trailer for way more then just hauling vehicles. Not to mention I don't think it would make that much difference when actually towing it.

The theory and practice are both sound, if it's a DEDICATED CAR HAULER. That means, it won't be used for ANYTHING else... Hence my comment regarding room to store it, as I too have a very multi-use flatbed. As for what it would be towed with, my specific use case would be a motorhome that can stand to save every single pound possible when it comes time to head from sea level to 10,000ft in Colorado 8)
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Stay way from mobilehome axles, if the trailer isn't already registered now, WA won't reg. it.

As for a trailer, I have been thinking about a deticated Jeep trailer, but min. length to fit Jeep, dually axle, minimal deck top, and a long hitch.
Don't like the "stretch" expanded metal takes after awhile, wood is light.
Long hitch for easier reverse maneuvering. Longer hitch would also work for a storage box or camper step.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:23 pm

So, I bought the trailer off of craigslist for 1200.

Yeah, it's got mobile home axles, but it was already registered in Washington. Bought it, transferred the title and got it licensed all in one go today.

I have a set of nice axles that I can just bolt on when these tires kick the bucket. We'll see how well it does, the tires were basically new, and everything seems to function fine. In the meantime I can go over the brakes and bearings on the spare set of axles and see if I can't find some wheels cheap.

The trailer did bounce just a bit at slow speeds on the city streets, but it's nice and smooth from 25 to 70.

It is heavy though, title says 1660, I'm gonna see if I can't get it on a scale tomorrow. The deck is solid metal, and the undercarriage is pretty hefty as well. If I feel inspired later I might take the plasma cutter to it and replace a bunch of the plate with expanded metal. I'll keep the wheel tracks solid, and lighten all the places where it's beefed up unnecessarily. That should drop several hundred unneeded pounds. :lol:

I don't like buying when I can build, but I think the price was right. Probably cheaper than buying the steel and everything else I was going to need.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:32 pm

What are you getting with? My dad's car hauler is like 1400 another 200 pound isn't going to change anythingthat's just another passenger... also make sure they're mobile home axles there are hd axles that use 14.5 cali wheels
Last edited by 79chevy39.5's on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benw

Postby benw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Post a picture of the tongue, it looked strange in the CL pics but you couldn't see the whole thing.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:51 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:What are you getting with? My dad's car hauler is like 1400 another 200 pound isn't going to change anythingthat's just another passenger... also make sure they're mobile home axles there are hd axles that use 14.5 cali wheels

Yeah, it might not make that much difference. We'll see what I do after I get an actual weight.

If they're not mobile home axles that could be nice, though the tires still suck. I'll do some more looking tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

benw wrote:Post a picture of the tongue, it looked strange in the CL pics but you couldn't see the whole thing.

The tongue steps down. And it looks like it has mounts for a toolbox or something that has since been removed. It's not just welded to the front of the trailer frame though, those are solid beams that run the whole length of the trailer. It's rather overbuilt.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:55 pm

I like the bulldog hitch on it. 8)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:06 pm

TJDave wrote:I like the bulldog hitch on it. 8)

I like that style too. Most others tend to drive me nuts.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”