Project Cheap Jeap

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Jafo

Project Cheap Jeap

Postby Jafo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Well as alot of you already know, I bought Toby's jeep that he advertised on here. Mind you, this is a project that will be probably a slower build then (jims slow build) but I will keep pluggin away at it once parts are sourced. First thing was first, I had to put a radiator in the thing and it was fun franken fitting a combination of different hoses, but the cooling system is complete minus the overflow bottle. Jose now has chains all over his green 4banger lol.

Next was the test drive to see if I could beat toby's record of 5mph of backyard wheelin, well it does do better than 5mph, infact I think jose and I had it up to 60mph on badger rd. The thing drives straight and tight. There was some vibes though and comming to a stop I thought the TC was comming through the tub. So we stopped and checked out the driveline, the angle of the dangle was completely wrong, the jeep is lifted 3 inches and it has a SYE but no CV driveline, and the axle was never turned up where it should be.

So, for me to continue to motor this thing to the mall, I needed to try and get this figured out, I needed to add a TC drop until the driveline could be made, so I went to our local Home Depot and bought some nuts,bolts and washers. Wah-lah TC drop completed and time for a test drive, still a little vibe but a complete success.

I also picked up a pair of New to Me shoes for my Cheap Jeap, Thanks to Lisaski, didn't want them to go to waste. lol

So here are a couple pics, there will be more to come as I want to get this thing in the hills, but not before I put axles under it that will that the abuse of the V-8. 8)

2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:29 pm

I like the new look with the black wheels.
HE TOOK THE BYPASS?? YEAH ITS A JEEP THING.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:24 pm

My brothers cj7 is that same copper color.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:01 am

Jafalo....what a cute little baby jeep. Bet it's going to be a good one when it grows up.
Forget your age and live your life!

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:14 am

Hey Danny it's got a bigger engine and the same size tires as yours. Not sure you can call it a "baby" jeep lol

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:13 am

True tim, but as danny has proved many times, cubic inches don't always prevail. :oops:

WRWP360

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:57 am

NO, but linear inches rule. . .(Tackle Box)

Jafo wrote:True tim, but as danny has proved many times, cubic inches don't always prevail. :oops:

Boyscout

Postby Boyscout » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:54 am

If you only knew...
Marc

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE Convertible SUV 2.5L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Only a couple really know....

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Lurch wrote:Hey Danny it's got a bigger engine and the same size tires as yours. Not sure you can call it a "baby" jeep lol

Right now it's just a baby jeep with a big mouth...... :fuite

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 pm

So, this weekend I went and sourced some more parts. I put on a cold intake filter and brought home a Isuzu d44 and some new seats, since the current seats had that mexi-cali lean to them. The seat swap went fairly easy with only drilling 2 holes per bracket. So now the cheap jeap has some wice to it.

I will still be in search for a dana 44 out of a grand wagoneer, narrow track, drivers drop. If anyone knows of one(Paul) let me know. It also sounds like I might source a dodge 231 since the have the wide chain kit since I can hear the chain slap in my current one. Still on the hunt for more parts, my goal is to be spring wheelin again.

WRWP360

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:58 am

Jafo wrote:I will still be in search for a dana 44 out of a grand wagoneer, narrow track, drivers drop. If anyone knows of one(Paul) let me know.

I looked for quite a while before I found the ones I snagged. The only thing better I would have wanted was if it was a high-pinion and had unlocking hubs. Mine are destined for the Cherokee when it gets 36" tires, or if the Dana 30/35 setup breaks again.

I've seen NP241's at the scrap yard quite a bit. I think you can use the guts (chain, etc) in the NP231 for a beefier setup. I also have one of those that you cant have. ;)

If you really want a Dana 44 driver drop for cheap: get a full width from a Chevy, flip it left to right and redrill the oil passage ports, cut the C's off, shorten both sides to Waggy width, and re-weld the C's on at your desired angle for proper caster. Get some reverse-cut gears and Voila! It will then be a high-pinion, Waggy width, driver drop axle. :)
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:09 am

OldGreen (and probably BenW) has a D300 for sale and pass. drop waggy axles are easier to find.

Just saying.
Last edited by bobracing on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

benw

Postby benw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:31 am

bobracing wrote:OldGreen (and probably BenW) has a D300 for sale and pass. drop waggy axles are easier to fine.

Just saying.

LOL! This is true...

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:50 am

Wrench wrote:If you really want a Dana 44 driver drop for cheap: get a full width from a Chevy, flip it left to right and redrill the oil passage ports, cut the C's off, shorten both sides to Waggy width, and re-weld the C's on at your desired angle for proper caster. Get some reverse-cut gears and Voila! It will then be a high-pinion, Waggy width, driver drop axle. :)

That'd work great other than the pinion being on the wrong side of the ring gear for the high pinion gears to actually work. If it was that easy everyone and their cousin with a sami, Toyota or 9" would be rocking HP front diffs. :lol:

As to the subject at hand just slap a passenger drop axle and 300 into it. 300 flip kits are stupid and always leak since the shifters are on the bottom of the case when flipped.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:09 pm

I have an extra first gen bronco driver drop. It's a low pinion. Should be pretty close to the width you need.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:48 pm

White trash wrote:That'd work great other than the pinion being on the wrong side of the ring gear for the high pinion gears to actually work. If it was that easy everyone and their cousin with a sami, Toyota or 9" would be rocking HP front diffs. :lol:

Thanks for the edumukashun. I knew there was a reason.

Gotta stir the pot and get some thinkin' done though... :P

Just out of curiosity, how common is a narrow HP 44? What were they in?
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Think ford trucks and some broncos have them.

Jay W

Postby Jay W » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Wrench wrote:Just out of curiosity, how common is a narrow HP 44? What were they in?

There are no stock "narrow" HP 44s. I consider 60-61" narrow.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:42 am

Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:22 am

$50 ain't bad... If you have the short side already!

Oh, and he needs driver drop.

Trash, D300s are WAY over rated! :lol:

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:34 pm

I love long holiday weekends, and since we wern't traveling this season it gave me a chance to tackle a few things on the jeep. Well when I was out sourcing parts last weekend, I forgot to mention that I picked up a new dash, so this weekend was a good one to install the new one.
Out with the old!!

In with the new!!

While I was out at Jose's last weekend, I had to rescue a front bumper that was destined for the metal recyclers, so when jose wasn't looking, I threw it in back of the heep, I don't know if many have seen this bumper because it never made it's Rumblegoat Fab debut on the front of a jeep until now, I'm not a fan of the "Nose Pickers" but this one doubles as a tow bar. Anyway here's a pic of it partially installed, even though it is fully installed and operational now. It might get attacked by a skinny wheel, only time will tell.

I also had time to get the shifters installed, I still have to install linkage for the TC, but they are located where they will live for now. I also took toby's advice and bored a hole in the tunnel for the shifter cable.

More to come.....

WRWP360

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Looking good I second using a narrowed gm the dif is in a od place and makes it easier to get into the springs when turning with 37s and even 35s with narrow track width rims...believe jose has that issue. I dig the big pinion d44s hopefully I can finish my front up the winter

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:23 pm

I got a NT waggy on it's way, it will work just stupendous. 8)

WRWP360

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:02 pm

The diff is in an odd place? What, the driver side? Only way to stay outta the springs with 37's on a YJ is to make the axle wider... When running 37x13.5's on 10" wheels, it was already "too wide"

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”