XJ V4.0 the Man Child Edition (yes, another Cherokee)

Post pics and info of your current projects.
OldGreen

XJ V4.0 the Man Child Edition (yes, another Cherokee)

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Here we go again. . .

Eventually, this will be the only white XJ in the fleet. . .

Starting with:

1996, 2 Door, 4.0, AW4, NP231, C8.25
Rubicon Express 4.5" lift that looks like it is netting around 6". It is the full meal deal with the control arms, Edlebrock Shocks, adjustable track bar, OME steering stabilizer, full leaf packs, braided lines, etc.

Window is busted out of the back hatch (I have a good hatch)
One of the rear windows is busted (I have the mobetta kind with the vents anyway)
Dude's old man put a new tranny in it and didn't loctite the torque converter to flexplate bolts. . .which promptly backed out of the equation. . .so it runs like a top but won't move anywhere.
Typical busted exhaust manifold
pretty nice exhaust system with a flowmaster that I'll probably pirate for the green one.

Grey interior is in really good shape. Just needs a detail job.

Needs a new bumper and maybe a header panel. Dude hit a tree. Didn't get into the unibody thankfully. Still can't figure out what he did to the roof rack. . . but whatever. . .

Has mismatched 33s on it on chrome mods. . .rears (2) and unmounted (2) 33x12.50 wild countries that I WISH were in good shape. . .love those tires for snow when they are new. Fronts are BFG 33x10.50s. 1 KM2 and 1 KM. probably keep the KM2 for a spare or Keep the KM for a spare and buy 3 more KM2s.. dunno yet. Maybe a set of 32s so as to keep the stock gears a tiny bit happier. Not that he needs breakneck acceleration or overdrive. . .

MIGHT need a hack and tap (it is the newer/sealed NP231) if it vibrates at all. Some do, some don't. . .it has a small transfer case drop in it now and since it isn't going to be a hardcore wheeler (yet), this can stay.

At any rate, the plan is to get it running and driving. . .then see what else is wrong with it.

Will gets his permit in the next couple of weeks and I want him to get seat time in the rig he will be driving to school. . .

Then we'll lower it just a tad in the back via shorter spring packs, put an auto starter, alarm, and a decent stereo in it (already has the $$$ cables for the system). . .build a front bumper either skin or fix the few dents in it and let him drive it to class or to the mall.

If Orville doesn't sell in the next 9 days, this one will get his locked rearend, wheels and tires. O's front is going in the Green one. . .

So. . .with some good tires, a little lower stance, general clean up and maint, this will be a GREAT rig for my boy. Not only that, he picked it out and negotiated the deal. Just when I think the teenagers around this joint aren't paying attention, I get a "proud papa" moment!!!

Anyway, here's a pic of it now. It will start to look different almost immediately.

Also, He'd like some suggestions on the kind of non-wheelin' mods that he can make to it. I'm typically a "function only" kind of a guy and DGAFlip about coolness, but he's 15 (on 1/4) and has to rock this thing for the next 5 or 6 years. Gots to pull the girls. . .

He also likes TECHIE stuff. . .and comfort items (heated seats maybe??).

Also keep in mind that I may inherit this at some point so I don't want it "teenagered" to the point of no return. The Green one, as such, could end up being extremely purpose built for something like snow wheelin'. . .

Lastly, since this one has a really nice suspension system, it just might get the nod for our family style excursions to CO, CA, BC, etc. . .depending on it's hiway manners. Granted, the 95 has cruise control. . .so. . .this one would likely be a toad.

So, the goal is to have it on the road in about 1 week from Saturday. That is a tall order since all of my bays (both of them??) are taken in the garage, but if the tranny gods treat us right and I can weld up the exhaust manifold (for now, it will get a new one in the spring/summer when the weld breaks, because it WILL break), It shouldn't be a problem. Most of the time will be spent on R/R the rear windows since I have never put them IN before. . .lots of internet wive's tales about that. Anybody with experience in rubber gasket style windows can chime in!!! "Wrench or Tim?" What about the lads that work in shops (Graham, Mike?). . .

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:42 pm

i can help if you need it, if its just rubber style gasket it needs to be inside to get it warm (warmer the better) i typically use a long strand of wire wrap it around the gasket and lay one side into the pinch weld area (if its the same as typical rubber windshields) as you pull the rope/wire out it will pull the gasket out over the pinchweld or what ever the backing to the window area is (i should have a bay back in my garage monday (as soon as parts show)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:i can help if you need it, if its just rubber style gasket it needs to be inside to get it warm (warmer the better) i typically use a long strand of wire wrap it around the gasket and lay one side into the pinch weld area (if its the same as typical rubber windshields) as you pull the rope/wire out it will pull the gasket out over the pinchweld or what ever the backing to the window area is (i should have a bay back in my garage monday (as soon as parts show)

That is the method I was planning. I'll let you know how it goes!

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:08 pm

You are a cherokee magnet OG. Haha looks like a nice rig for a teen. Have him get some spinner rims for it. Those always get the girls.
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:38 pm

i would love to have a rig like that. only i think a 3" with home built long arms and maybe a fancy 4 link rear like pauls wagon with some high clearance fenders deep gears with arbs and some 36 iroks........so maybe not so much like that :evil:

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:16 pm

wow i was going to buy that lol.. is it the flex plate bolts that backed out or was he just giving me crap lol. it was not a bad deal for 400$
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Toolegit86 wrote:wow i was going to buy that lol.. is it the flex plate bolts that backed out or was he just giving me crap lol. it was not a bad deal for 400$

I think it is. Haven't even popped the inspection plate.

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:54 am

Where are you guys finding this dirt cheap vehicles? I check Craigstlist regularly and never see deals like that.
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:17 am

SquirrelCrusher wrote:Where are you guys finding this dirt cheap vehicles? I check Craigstlist regularly and never see deals like that.

They don't last long. This one was listed at 1000 and he took 700. I guess I got hosed!!! HAHA. . .

Kid needed to pay a bill of some sort so I don't feel bad about it.

Orville was 1100, Jess' white 95 was 1100 and the Green one was 200.

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 pm

yea craigslist is a good place to start.. or just peoples yards lol.
I was all over this one then i got the idea to throw tons under my JK.. so had to conserve money.
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”