2003 Rubicon build (Radical)

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Radical

Progress

Postby Radical » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Radical Blue build is gaining momentum.
We are processing many small details, these take time. Bryan Really enjoys doing the small thing which are adding up to a amazing finished project.

Front housing Dana 44 upgrades including gusset ing, trus, 488 Youkon gears, arb's, drilled rotors, new hubs, Poison Spider diff cover, covered with awesome coats of semi black paint. I like things simple, however, Lance is the detail paint lead and when I was gone to tollgate he PIMPED my new rotors, break shoes, mad lift springs. It really does look cool. Thanks guys

Back housing is coming along good too. Waiting for the RC long arms and truss mount to weld on. The Brown Santa was supposed to show today (ups)
To no avail.

Some other details were the running of extra arb air compressor hose so we can air up tires if we like, however I did not chose to upgrade my on board air as I spent a crap load of cash already plus recently purchased a sweet portable Vivair 450.

Radical

Scott. (Radical blue)

Postby Radical » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for asking about the tires etc.
I had those spacers and they were 5 on 5.5" So of course needed 5 on 4.5",
With 17x8" with 4.45" back spacing. Tires are 37x12.5x17. BF Goodrich
Km2's or something like that. The one snow run I did the side walls did not soften much at 8lbs but the tires have pretty good reviews plus I already have them. Smiles
We went with standard alloy rims as not sure if serious enough for bead locks.

Thanks again, always fun to talk about our toys. This is my first and maybe only build so really excited of course.

Scott/ Radical

Radical

Postby Radical » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:21 pm

17x8
BFG. KM'2 37x12.5

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Looks nice
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Radical

Custom high line fenders

Postby Radical » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 am

Bryansfab.com making some custom tube fenders for Radical.

We had so much flex from the long arms (Rock Crawler) that we needed more tire clearance for 37"s even though I already had the 4" lift and one inch body lift I was rubbing heavy front and back.

We could have added longer bump stops but with all the work we already did we wanted full travel.

I got a quick photo Bryan and Lance sent to me. Micheal has assisted Bryan also. Radicl is looking Radical. Build will be done soon we hope.
Thanks guys!

Scott,

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm sure you know this but I would be remiss for not typing it:

The only factor that is making your tires rub is the size of them. If you are not changing your bump location, the suspension design has zero to do with hitting the fenders. I VERY LOUDLY applaud your efforts to maintain full bump travel at all costs. There are so many ramp queens out there with long arms and massive bumpstops that it makes me a little ill. . .all that potential bottoming out on speedbumps at the mall. I mean seriously, if you are gonna spend the time and money on all that cool stuff, might as well actually be able to use it. NICE WORK.

Again, you have probably considered this, but with a long arm kit, it will very easily articulate WAY farther than the springs will extend if you have correct shock lengths. You should really think about some good limiting straps that stop your down travel about 3/4" before the shocks top out. It will save the lives of your expensive dampers as well as keep the springs seated. We have all seen lots of people run up RTI ramps and score 1000+ with the extended spring unseated. . .well, that is worthless travel. If there is no downward pressure from the spring, you have no traction. Lots of other reasons too . . .but I'll take off my suspension nerd hat. . .
8)

Radical

Postby Radical » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Old green,

Thanks for the cool input. I amlearning so fast. Study is my middle name.
I know the price for the 37 inch tires. However, that is what was on it so going to give em a try.
The limiting straps make total sense, and the down pressures from the springs make sence too.

I feel that many minds are better than one.. Appreciate everyone's experience.
By the way, what is your name?
Are names legal on Jeep forums?
Scott please text me your number or call if u want
541 571 8161

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:38 pm

Radical wrote:Old green,

By the way, what is your name?
Are names legal on Jeep forums?

He goes by the "REAL" name of "Chuck"..... Chuck Norris

Really his name is Jim Moss. Lol
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

Radical

Postby Radical » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Thanks Jim

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:50 am

No worries. . .

And, keep it all on the board! The collective wisdom here is pretty phenomenal. You will have to filter through some sarcasm once in a while, but that is all in good fun. I really like where your Jeep is going. Very cool project.

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”