2003 Rubicon build (Radical)

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Radical

2003 Rubicon build (Radical)

Postby Radical » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Ordered Rock Krawler long arm kit, Anti-Rock front sway bar kit, Rock Krawler track bar, 4:88 gears, Poison Spyder bombshell diff covers, new clutch... Will post pix later when Yrjan shows me how... Thanks to Bryan Barcom for helping me install all of it.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:32 pm

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Looks like a lot of work. Why do you need wheel spacers on the front? Do you have them on the rear as well.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Radical

Postby Radical » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Funny you should say that about the spacers. The whole reason we are doing the project is to get rid of the spacers. (Because they are the only thing that is polished
). Smiles

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:26 pm

SPR wrote:Looks like a lot of work. Why do you need wheel spacers on the front? Do you have them on the rear as well.

He's got JK wheels on it. 5X5 R17

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Wouldn't a new set of wheels have been cheaper and a lot less work? :lol:

Interested to see the final result. Bryan does good work.
Curious what lift was on it before?

And welcome! :hi
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:36 pm

TJDave wrote:Wouldn't a new set of wheels have been cheaper and a lot less work? :lol:

Interested to see the final result. Bryan does good work.
Curious what lift was on it before?

And welcome! :hi

The lift was a combination of pro comp and rubicon express note the rubicon express joint malfunction... The spacers and wheels were on it when he bought it.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:48 pm

As you all can tell I have been helping Scott out with his build thread... Word is RCV's were just ordered... Sick

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Mmmmmmm......I want 2 sets but my coin jar isn't that full

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:23 am

Latest update... Front locker toast. found a couple from "Brother Frank" in Benton City but they are different than the factory locker in Radicl.

Decisions, decisions....

Word is Scott ordered ARB's for front and rear with a pump to boot. Bryan is installing today. Rock Krawler stuff should be there monday and Radicl should be pounding the pavement tuesday evening.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:51 am

It's going to be nice. Can't wait to check it out. Guess that means I'll have to go on a run. :oops:

FWIW, the Rubi rear d44 axle I bought from Larry N. a few years ago has a 35 spline ARB in it. The factory Rubi locker fried long before I bought it. He said the 35 spline chromos and locker is probably overkill for a d44. The 33 spline upgrade would of been sufficient, and a little cheaper.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:34 pm

Front housing ready.

Radical

Nice welds

Postby Radical » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Hey Micheal, thanks for the photos.
Bryan can really lay down some nice welds. Geez you know when you love Jeeps if last sentence I typed begins to sound sexy. Sexy welds Bryan.

Seriously, Radical should be happy as the guys are taking good care of her.

RK long arms in the mail from New York so five business days may show Monday. There seems to be no end of the fun.

The main regret I have on this build is not giving Radicl her monthly bath before we tore into her.

Smiles and thanks for the views,

Radical

TJ Dave

Postby Radical » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:35 pm

TJ Dave,

Thanks for the info! First hand experience is expensive, thanks for sharing it.

Scott

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Do yourself a favor and replace that UCA bushing before slapping that front axle back under there. Or better yet, since it's now the only upper attachment point in the front suspension system, replace it with a Currie joint. You risk fighting caster and subsequent wobble issues with a sloppy bushing right there.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:58 pm

If he is going radius arm, death wobble will be a distant memory, even if the bushing is worn and his tires are out of balance. :wink:
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Radical

Thank you Tobyw

Postby Radical » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Thanks For the advise Toby, we'll check it out.

Scott

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:53 am

Wrench wrote:If he is going radius arm, death wobble will be a distant memory, even if the bushing is worn and his tires are out of balance. :wink:

Wait, wut? Can you elaborate on this a bit? I've been around a few radius arms in my day, and I can tell you for certain that a few of them had wobble... Early Broncos, mid-70's F-150 pickup, an '08 Super Duty, and even my XJ with the long arm/radius arm setup to name a few particulars I've battled. Heck, I even had wobble on my leaf spring flatty one time when I was experimenting with a shackle-reversal setup. Wobble is all about caster and tight suspension/steering joints in my experience.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:25 am

Adding hydraulic assist cured all my death wobble problems. Most of mine were related to tires. Hard to balance DIY bead locks.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:29 am

tobyw wrote:
Wrench wrote:If he is going radius arm, death wobble will be a distant memory, even if the bushing is worn and his tires are out of balance. :wink:

Wait, wut? Can you elaborate on this a bit? I've been around a few radius arms in my day, and I can tell you for certain that a few of them had wobble... Early Broncos, mid-70's F-150 pickup, an '08 Super Duty, and even my XJ with the long arm/radius arm setup to name a few particulars I've battled. Heck, I even had wobble on my leaf spring flatty one time when I was experimenting with a shackle-reversal setup. Wobble is all about caster and tight suspension/steering joints in my experience.

Not sure why, but every ounce of oscillation I ever had with mine was completely eliminated when I built my radius arm setup. I dont even run a steering damper anymore. I also have my caster set pretty steep, for better front grip/lighter steering wheel input in the turns and to account for the larger tires.

I really didnt mean to derail this thread, sorry!
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 am

Wrench your death wobble didn't go away because the radius arm setup didn't allow it. It went away because there was a problem with the old suspension it replaced. :wink:

Radical

Progress

Postby Radical » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Radical Blue build is gaining momentum.
We are processing many small details, these take time. Bryan Really enjoys doing the small thing which are adding up to a amazing finished project.

Front housing Dana 44 upgrades including gusset ing, trus, 488 Youkon gears, arb's, drilled rotors, new hubs, Poison Spider diff cover, covered with awesome coats of semi black paint. I like things simple, however, Lance is the detail paint lead and when I was gone to tollgate he PIMPED my new rotors, break shoes, mad lift springs. It really does look cool. Thanks guys

Back housing is coming along good too. Waiting for the RC long arms and truss mount to weld on. The Brown Santa was supposed to show today (ups)
To no avail.

Some other details were the running of extra arb air compressor hose so we can air up tires if we like, however I did not chose to upgrade my on board air as I spent a crap load of cash already plus recently purchased a sweet portable Vivair 450.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:24 pm

What type and size of tires are going on this?

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”