Gladiator 2.0

Post pics and info of your current projects.
Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Like said elsewhere, talk to Final Touch in Kennewick. Could look more like a soft top than a tent if they can do it...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:01 pm

Thar sounds like a spendy venture.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Grumpy wrote:Like said elsewhere, talk to Final Touch in Kennewick. Could look more like a soft top than a tent if they can do it...

Thought about a soft top style, but I don't know that it would go that well with the thriftside lines.

Looks good on a commanche, or a J-Truck with a townside bed:

Might be cool, but I bet the cost would astronomical. The military style would be cheap and simple. Two flaps, one for the front, one for the back, and a big piece of canvas with a bit of tailoring on the ends. Could even get fancy and sew in some windows on the flaps.

I've got access to a heavy duty sewing machine. Military waterproof canvas would probably only cost a couple hundred bucks if that much.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:25 pm

I have some LJ soft top windows. Zippers are shot, but yours for the asking if you wanna see if they will work for you. Heck, you can have the whole factory top minus the frame if you want.

Lee
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 pm

iaccocca wrote:I have some LJ soft top windows. Zippers are shot, but yours for the asking if you wanna see if they will work for you. Heck, you can have the whole factory top minus the frame if you want.

Lee

Don't think I'd have a use for the whole top, but the windows would be great. If I'm driving with the canopy on being able to see out the back would be handy.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for a halfway decent dial indicator? Are the Harbor freight options junk?

I ended up needing to replace more things than planned and need to reset bearing pre-load on the Dana 20 front output. It's been a nightmare so far. :lol:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:40 pm

Was able to borrow a good dial indicator and get everything put together. It took 2 transfer cases to come out with a good one. Replaced all the seals and bearings, and a couple gears that were pretty ugly. PO probably shifted it terribly. The intermediate gears were all chipped up.

Once the paint dries I'll put in the new brakes and mount it to the transmission. That oilpan won't be staying, the PTO will be going back on after it's in the rig.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:48 pm

It works!

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Since I'm changing the transmission, the original T-case shifter had to go, and it sucked anyway. Since no one makes anything for the Dana 20 that will fit well in my truck I'm stuck with making my own.

Cable shifters will make for the cleanest install. Grabbed up some scrap 304L stainless from twin city metal a while back, and finally got around to fitting things up.

The cable will come up under the bench seat on the transmission tunnel. I'll be putting in 3 levers. I'll be able to control each axle hi and low independently. 4-High, 4-Low, 2-Low Front, 2-Low Rear ect....

The 3rd lever will engage the PTO for my winch.

As a side note, a tig torch is amazing for bending steel. So much faster and cleaner than a oxy torch. Just flip on the welder and apply some heat. Think I got that 1/2" stock to bend with one hand in 20 seconds.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:27 pm

That's looking great, Dale!
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Return to “Projects and Build-Ups”